The Queen's Gambit, Netflix's upcoming series about a female chess champion in a time where men ruled the game, is sure to surpass viewer expectations.
Based on Walter Tevis' 1983 novel, the drama follows Beth Harmon (Anya-Taylor Joy), a young woman who finds herself abandoned at a Kentucky orphanage in the late 1950s. There, she gains a love for the game, as well as a serious addiction to tranquilizers.
Fueled by her demons and obsession, Beth dares to push the boundaries in the male-dominated world of competitive chess. "She's a badass, but she definitely has her flaws as well," Joy says of her character. "Her first encounter with chess is both wonderful and illuminating for her but also extremely problematic when it comes to her relationship with substance abuse.
"I think the relationship between understanding whether or not she's brilliant by herself or whether she needs this substance in order to open the veil into this world definitely sends her on a difficult course," Joy adds.
On that course, she'll meet some interesting characters including fellow chess enthusiasts Benny Watts (Thomas Brodie-Sangster) and Harry Beltik (Harry Melling).
"He meets Beth and his bubble is burst," Melling says of his character, a Kentucky State Champion. As for Brodie-Sangster's U.S. Champion, Benny Watts, viewers will first meet him at a tournament in which he's not even participating. "He just thought he'd stumble in and check out the competition," the Game of Thrones alum shares.
Benny and Harry tag along for her rollercoaster ride of a chess-playing career, but Beth's struggles are her own at the end of the day. "We are all human beings desperately working on ourselves. If you're not growing, you're not alive anymore," says Joy. While The Queen's Gambit is a feminist story about a woman's journey to break through in a male-dominated field, Joy adds, "Pretty much every field is male-dominated, so it's more about a really brilliant person who struggles with herself and overcomes that struggle."
(Credit: KEN WORONER/NETFLIX)
Catch Joy, Brodie-Sangster, and Melling opening up about their characters in the videos above. Don't miss The Queen's Gambit when it arrives on Netflix beginning Friday, October 23.
The Queen's Gambit, Series Premiere, Friday, October 23, Netflix
- 'Roger Federer is always out-thinking you and ready to embarrass you," says former US Open opponent - Tennishead - October 21st, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen clinches with a round to spare - Chessbase News - October 16th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen beats Caruana to take the lead - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- Connected pawns on the move - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- New: Sergei Tiviakov - How to play the Ruy Lopez with Qe2 - Chessbase News - October 7th, 2020
- AdvanceClub Launches to Inspire and Advance Esports Gamers of All Skill Levels - StreetInsider.com - October 7th, 2020
- Woman Can't Stump Her Husband With Riddles No Matter How Hard She Tries - Distractify - October 3rd, 2020
- Unearthing Every NFL Team's Early Hidden Gem - Bleacher Report - September 30th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Teaser: Anya Taylor-Joy Is Addicted to Chess, Drugs, and More Chess - Vulture - September 28th, 2020
- 'Console Wars' Review: A Fascinating, Fundamental Chronicle of the Innovative Battle Between SEGA and Nintendo - /FILM - September 24th, 2020
- WATCH: Why Nurse-Stevens was the best chess match in NBA history - Celtics Wire - September 24th, 2020
- The shifting chessboard of international influence operations - Brookings Institution - September 24th, 2020
- Yuzvendra Chahals Dance Videos That Went Viral! - IWMBuzz - September 22nd, 2020
- The 7 best chess and checkers games for Android - Explica - September 12th, 2020
- FIDE announces that the Candidates Tournament will resume on November 1st - Chessbase News - September 11th, 2020
- George Conway Shows What's Going On In Trump's Head In Exclusive 'Unfit' Clip - HuffPost - September 11th, 2020
- Pokelawls signed as streamer to TSM - Daily Esports - September 9th, 2020
- 30 fun ways to stay connected through video calls - Bryan-College Station Eagle - September 7th, 2020
- TikTok: Everything To Know About Tech's Biggest Soap Opera - Inventiva - September 5th, 2020
- Putin critic: Inaction against him is a license to kill - CNN - September 5th, 2020
- A Look at Kidney Disease and Ways to Help Toby Chess - Autobody News - September 5th, 2020
- HCPS Help Chats: Live sessions, step-by-step videos will take families from login to learning - rvahub.com - September 3rd, 2020
- PUBG, Ludo World among 118 more Chinese apps banned by IT ministry. Check full list here - Hindustan Times - September 3rd, 2020
- Artist and Singer Juga To Lead Girls Club Workshop on Chess & Creativity - uschess.org - September 1st, 2020
- Olympiad gold: Chess has boomed amid COVID-19, says Vidit Gujrathi - Times of India - September 1st, 2020
- Performance in Olympiad shows the depth of Indian chess: Viswanathan Anand - Times of India - September 1st, 2020
- And it went zoom! - Chessbase News - August 31st, 2020
- The West Wing Photos, News, and Videos - Just Jared - August 26th, 2020
- Fired GPD officer alleges he was told to remove video about George Floyd - Yes! Weekly - August 22nd, 2020
- Chess as an Esport: In conversation with International Master Danny Rensch - Sportskeeda - August 22nd, 2020
- Missing Maremma: Dog missing from the NSW Blue Mountains spotted 200km away in the Central West - The Macleay Argus - August 21st, 2020
- Women who hates waste shows off her totally upcycled house including a skateboard light and ice lolly stick - The Irish Sun - August 19th, 2020
- Epic's Nineteen Eighty-Fortnite video is an irresponsible piece of corporate propaganda | Opinion - GamesIndustry.biz - August 14th, 2020
- Man Kicked in Face and Woman Assaulted by Gang of Men During Hardrock Casino Fight - PokerTube - August 14th, 2020
- Free Chess Videos lichess.org - August 12th, 2020
- Chess Videos TV - The Largest Chess Video Site on the Web! - August 12th, 2020
- Chess Videos - Lessons, Broadcasts and Shows - Chess.com - August 12th, 2020
- Chess Puzzle of the Day - Can You Solve It? - Video Chess - August 12th, 2020
- Screenshot Saturday Sundays: Art school, antiques, and the rental store at the end of time - Rock Paper Shotgun - August 11th, 2020