The second half of theFIDE Candidates Tournament has once again been postponed per an announcement today by FIDE. The event was planned to resume November 1, 2020, but the second wave of the pandemic has made it impossible to organize the event now.
On September 8, FIDE announced that the tournament was going to resume on November 1 in Yekaterinburg, Russia. Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia, was named as areserve hosting city in case the coronavirus pandemic situation in Yekaterinburg prevented the tournament from being held there.
Today, it became clear that the tournament cannot take place in November after all. According to FIDE, the concern about the well-being of the players during the pandemic is the main reason for the postponement. However, another bottleneck is the situation with the Chinese participants.
On October 5, GM Wang Hao published on Facebook some of the e-mails he exchanged with FIDE's legal advisor, Alexandr Martynov, and with FIDE President Arkady Dvorkovich. One of these was then spread further via Twitter.
In the other emails, it was clear that the players had been offered a charter flight (business class) to Yekaterinburg, and, in case the tournament would be moved to Georgia, a VIP transfer and lounge for transit through Germany.FIDE also stated it was "ready to pay all medical bills" if the players should catch COVID-19.
In emails from October 4, Wang statedthat flights from China to Munich were "very limited" and that he wouldn't feel safe to transfer through Europe, where the coronavirus is on the rise again. The Chinese GM asked for a larger compensation in case a player contracts the virus and needs to stop playing and said he hoped FIDE would come with "a better proposal."
In today's statement, FIDE reveals that there was another bump in the road: two players have still not received clearance to travel abroad and play.
Till now, we have not received clearance for all players to participate in the tournament. Two players from one country are awaiting permission from their national authorities. While having full respect for the respective national procedures, FIDE will take further decisions about both the location and timing of the event based on our organizations internal rules.
FIDE doesn't say that this refers to China, but it is the only country that has two participants in the tournament (Russia has three.). Besides Wang, there is alsoGM Ding Liren. FIDE Director General Emil Sutovsky was not available for a comment.
The second half of the Candidates will now be played in the spring of 2021. There is still some flexibility regarding the exact dates as theworld championship match is nowscheduled for November-December 2021. FIDE plans on announcing the new dates for the Candidates two months in advance.
The first half of the tournament was played March 17-25 in Yekaterinburg. FIDE interrupted the event halfway, postponing thesecond half when an interruption of air traffic between Russia and other countries was imminent because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
"To be honest, I think we should have just finished the tournament when we were all there," said GM Fabiano Caruana at the start of the Norway Chess tournament.
Currently, GMs Maxime Vachier-Lagrave of France and Ian Nepomniachtchi of Russia are both on 4.5/7 points.
Round 7 Standings
The FIDE Candidates Tournament is one of the most important events of 2020. Eight players are fighting for a chance to play GM Magnus Carlsen in the World Chess Championship. That title match has been postponed to 2021.
The postponement of the Candidates comes in a week when three other major events were canceled or postponed.
Yesterday, FIDE announced that the World Rapid & Blitz, which is traditionally held right between Christmas and New Year, has been postponed until the spring of 2021.
"Holding the World Rapid and Blitz Championship during Christmas, as it was initially planned, is not feasible," wrote FIDE in a statement. "The pandemic situation poses health and logistic challenges that can not be easily solved for an event of these characteristics."
Meanwhile, both the London Chess Classic (normally held in December) and the Gibraltar Chess Congress (January-February) announced that their events for this year have been canceled. The Tata Steel Chess tournament is still planning to go ahead.
- Veteran chess player teaches patience and strategy with Labor Day weekend tournament - WPTV.com - September 4th, 2021
- Chess federation to host tournament Oct. 3 at Ypao Beach - The Guam Daily Post - September 4th, 2021
- 100 Women Who Care NPO needs sponsors to host a chess tournament - Midrand Reporter - September 4th, 2021
- Kids run, a chess tournament and new kid space at ETHS - Knox TN Today - August 23rd, 2021
- Fiji Chess gears up for another online tournament - FBC News - August 9th, 2021
- Dobbs Ferry Chess Champion Competing in National Tournament - The Hudson Indy Westchester's Rivertowns News - - The Hudson Independent - July 25th, 2021
- Chess: Viswanathan Anand to return to over-the-board action after a year with Croatia tournament - Scroll.in - July 10th, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: 4 Winners ... - Chess - June 28th, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: 3 Winners In Final ... - Chess - June 28th, 2021
- Chess Tournaments, Tech Giants And $100,000 In Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - June 28th, 2021
- New Chess Tournament Features $100K BTC Reward for the Winner - Live Bitcoin News - May 30th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency : World chess tournament will award bitcoin to its winners Explica .co - Explica - May 30th, 2021
- How 9-year-old Delhi Boy Raised Funds in Online Chess Tournament to Aid Covid Relief Efforts - Yahoo India News - May 30th, 2021
- Two grandmasters will play in the "European Parliamentary Friendship Online Chess Tournament" - Chessbase News - April 21st, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: Giri Strikes, Moves Into Second-Place Tie - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- Invitational chess tournament to be held in Benin for IDSDP | sportanddev.org - sportanddev.org - April 5th, 2021
- Open Air Chess Tournament at Sugar Land Town Square - 365 Things to Do in Houston - March 9th, 2021
- Back in the game: Karpov to play classical tournament in Malm - Chessbase News - March 9th, 2021
- All or nothing: How Wijk aan Zee pulled off its 'most challenging' chess tournament - ESPN - February 3rd, 2021
- Success at Satu Mare in the online national chess tournament for the age group - CampusLATELY - January 26th, 2021
- First ever Barak Valley Open Chess Tournament kickstarts in Silchar - Barak Bulletin - January 26th, 2021
- Another weekend on-line chess tournament - Sunday Observer - January 25th, 2021
- World famous Hastings chess tournament takes place this weekend - Hastings Observer - January 9th, 2021
- Rook No Further! Coral Springs Holds Open Play Chess and Tournament - Coral Springs Talk - Coral Springs Talk - January 6th, 2021
- Azeri-Jewish Chess Grandmaster Radjabov in tears after winning tournament - The Jerusalem Post - January 6th, 2021
- Beccacece and a chess tournament with the Racing kids - Inspired Traveler - December 16th, 2020
- Young Chess Stars Meet in a Winner Take All Tournament Checkmate! - The Zebra - December 9th, 2020
- For the love of the game: Tournament chess returns to Virginia, pandemic or not - WTOP - November 16th, 2020
- Costumed players bring success for first Chess Halloween Tournament - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - November 6th, 2020
- 14-year-old Mendonca wins chess tournament in Hungary - The Tribune India - October 28th, 2020
- How To Play In US Chess Online Rated Tournaments - Chess.com - October 9th, 2020
- CCPS hosting in-person chess tournament, limited to students in Grades 4-12 - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - October 7th, 2020
- Irshad Mohammed walks away with top spot in latest round of chess tournament - Stabroek News - October 7th, 2020
- On Chess: Returning To Over The Board Chess Tournaments - St. Louis Public Radio - October 3rd, 2020
- So Leads Saint Louis Tournament Before Blitz Games - Chess.com - September 19th, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Resumes November 1 - Chess.com - September 9th, 2020
- Forks The final of the chess value tournament ended with a historic title distribution due to a server problem - Pledge Times - September 1st, 2020
- The United States Chess Federation - Clubs & Tournaments - August 21st, 2020
- Norway Chess to be 1st over-the-board super-tournament since March - chess24 - August 19th, 2020
- Chess Tournaments Calendar: July 2020 - Chess.com - August 15th, 2020
- Fishbein, Park, Liang, and Xie win at Tournaments of State Champions - uschess.org - August 12th, 2020
- Hikaru to host Chess tournament headlined by xQc, IWillDominate - Dot Esports - August 11th, 2020
- Leon Mendonca wins on board chess tournament in Hungary - The Hindu - June 24th, 2020
- The International Tournament in Bamberg starts! - Chessbase News - June 24th, 2020
- Chess Lovers in the Costa del Sol Unite as Malaga Will Host an Online Tournament This Saturday - Euro Weekly News - June 24th, 2020