The second half of theFIDE Candidates Tournament has once again been postponed per an announcement today by FIDE. The event was planned to resume November 1, 2020, but the second wave of the pandemic has made it impossible to organize the event now.
On September 8, FIDE announced that the tournament was going to resume on November 1 in Yekaterinburg, Russia. Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia, was named as areserve hosting city in case the coronavirus pandemic situation in Yekaterinburg prevented the tournament from being held there.
Today, it became clear that the tournament cannot take place in November after all. According to FIDE, the concern about the well-being of the players during the pandemic is the main reason for the postponement. However, another bottleneck is the situation with the Chinese participants.
On October 5, GM Wang Hao published on Facebook some of the e-mails he exchanged with FIDE's legal advisor, Alexandr Martynov, and with FIDE President Arkady Dvorkovich. One of these was then spread further via Twitter.
In the other emails, it was clear that the players had been offered a charter flight (business class) to Yekaterinburg, and, in case the tournament would be moved to Georgia, a VIP transfer and lounge for transit through Germany.FIDE also stated it was "ready to pay all medical bills" if the players should catch COVID-19.
In emails from October 4, Wang statedthat flights from China to Munich were "very limited" and that he wouldn't feel safe to transfer through Europe, where the coronavirus is on the rise again. The Chinese GM asked for a larger compensation in case a player contracts the virus and needs to stop playing and said he hoped FIDE would come with "a better proposal."
In today's statement, FIDE reveals that there was another bump in the road: two players have still not received clearance to travel abroad and play.
Till now, we have not received clearance for all players to participate in the tournament. Two players from one country are awaiting permission from their national authorities. While having full respect for the respective national procedures, FIDE will take further decisions about both the location and timing of the event based on our organizations internal rules.
FIDE doesn't say that this refers to China, but it is the only country that has two participants in the tournament (Russia has three.). Besides Wang, there is alsoGM Ding Liren. FIDE Director General Emil Sutovsky was not available for a comment.
The second half of the Candidates will now be played in the spring of 2021. There is still some flexibility regarding the exact dates as theworld championship match is nowscheduled for November-December 2021. FIDE plans on announcing the new dates for the Candidates two months in advance.
The first half of the tournament was played March 17-25 in Yekaterinburg. FIDE interrupted the event halfway, postponing thesecond half when an interruption of air traffic between Russia and other countries was imminent because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
"To be honest, I think we should have just finished the tournament when we were all there," said GM Fabiano Caruana at the start of the Norway Chess tournament.
Currently, GMs Maxime Vachier-Lagrave of France and Ian Nepomniachtchi of Russia are both on 4.5/7 points.
Round 7 Standings
The FIDE Candidates Tournament is one of the most important events of 2020. Eight players are fighting for a chance to play GM Magnus Carlsen in the World Chess Championship. That title match has been postponed to 2021.
The postponement of the Candidates comes in a week when three other major events were canceled or postponed.
Yesterday, FIDE announced that the World Rapid & Blitz, which is traditionally held right between Christmas and New Year, has been postponed until the spring of 2021.
"Holding the World Rapid and Blitz Championship during Christmas, as it was initially planned, is not feasible," wrote FIDE in a statement. "The pandemic situation poses health and logistic challenges that can not be easily solved for an event of these characteristics."
Meanwhile, both the London Chess Classic (normally held in December) and the Gibraltar Chess Congress (January-February) announced that their events for this year have been canceled. The Tata Steel Chess tournament is still planning to go ahead.
- Reflecting on the 2020-21 Candidates Part 1 - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Russian Jewish chess player to challenge world champion for title in UAE - Cleveland Jewish News - May 5th, 2021
- Two grandmasters will play in the "European Parliamentary Friendship Online Chess Tournament" - Chessbase News - April 21st, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: Giri Strikes, Moves Into Second-Place Tie - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The ratings gap and gender: Analyzing U.S. Chess Championships (Part II) - Chessbase News - April 21st, 2021
- Let's talk about the Candidates... with Douglas Griffin - Chessbase News - April 21st, 2021
- Uefa announces new Champions League format with group stage AXED just hours after European Super League... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- The First ChessKid USA Girls and Women's Championship Is 2 Days Away Mother Jones - Mother Jones - April 21st, 2021
- Invitational chess tournament to be held in Benin for IDSDP | sportanddev.org - sportanddev.org - April 5th, 2021
- Anand and Humpy win Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Decade in Sportstar Aces Awards - Chessbase News - April 5th, 2021
- Outdoor Chess at the Gold Coast in Australia - Chessbase News - April 5th, 2021
- Viswanathan Anand wins Sportstar Aces Moment of the Decade - Sportstar - April 5th, 2021
- Senior Chess Nationals slated to be held in Kanpur deferred indefinitely due to COVID-19 - Knocksense - April 5th, 2021
- 11-year old chess prodigy tops national tourney - Philstar.com - April 5th, 2021
- Ahmed Adly wins Arab-African Online Individual Chess Championship 2021 - Chessbase News - March 9th, 2021
- Open Air Chess Tournament at Sugar Land Town Square - 365 Things to Do in Houston - March 9th, 2021
- Inter-house Chess Battle - Henry Yu, Wilson's School - This is Local London - March 9th, 2021
- Making Chess Sing: Queens Gambit to Be Adapted for the Stage - The New York Times - March 9th, 2021
- Rozum and Guseva winners in Moscow - Chessbase News - March 9th, 2021
- Back in the game: Karpov to play classical tournament in Malm - Chessbase News - March 9th, 2021
- Jews And Chess - The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com - March 9th, 2021
- Wee County chess players face the world's best - alloaadvertiser.com - March 9th, 2021
- Vietjet CEO, dreams to transform the world - The Thaiger - March 9th, 2021
- This 25-year-old earns 6 figures playing chess on Twitchhere's how - CNBC - February 20th, 2021
- The Top 5 Best Female Chess Players of All Time - Chess.com - February 20th, 2021
- St Catherine's School in Bramley sponsors new chess resource to stretch young minds - In Your Area - February 20th, 2021
- Throwback Thursday: Carlsen wins the Candidates - Chessbase News - February 20th, 2021
- Highlights From Supervisor Chair Nathan Fletcher's First State of the County Address - NBC San Diego - February 20th, 2021
- BetInvest to offer all-inclusive table tennis content for sports betting operators and providers - European Gaming Industry News - February 20th, 2021
- Finnish Consumer Authority Says Veikkaus' Revenue Should Go to Treasury - European Gaming Industry News - February 20th, 2021
- Envy Gaming signs Warzone streamer and tournament winner BobbyPoff - Daily Esports - February 20th, 2021
- Wilton Reads - Memorial Drive Book Giveaway and More Upcoming Events at the Library - HamletHub - February 20th, 2021
- Next Generation Lotteries signs a five-year contract with Danish Landbrugslotteriet - European Gaming Industry News - February 20th, 2021
- Pragmatic Play Slots usher in the Next Phase of Competitive iGaming - European Gaming Industry News - February 20th, 2021
- Red Tiger, NetEnt and FashionTV Gaming Group partner to glam up the industry with the Trillionaire game - European Gaming Industry News - February 20th, 2021
- The PR Cup returns with a Winter Series of online tournaments - PR Week - February 17th, 2021
- Carlsen To Play In FIDE Online World Corporate Chess Championship - Chess.com - February 17th, 2021
- All eyes on Mayor, Infiesto, Medrano in 2021 National Executive Chess Championship - PhilBoxing.com - February 17th, 2021
- Opera Euro Rapid Prize Pool: Whats at Stake on the Champions Chess... - OnlineGambling.com - February 17th, 2021
- Unboxing/Review: The Noble Collection Star Trek Tridimensional Chess Set Is Fun For Display And Play - TrekMovie - February 17th, 2021
- India to bid for Chess Olympiad - The Tribune India - February 17th, 2021
- The Last of the Old Romantics | chess24.com - chess24 - February 12th, 2021
- How the SouthCoast Can Observe Ash Wednesday During the Pandemic - wbsm.com - February 12th, 2021
- Players in action during Third Chairman WAPDA Golf Tournament at Gymkhana Club - Associated Press of Pakistan - February 12th, 2021
- Everything We Know About The Teamfight Tactics: Fates Championship - Looper - February 12th, 2021
- Knights at the Opera | chess24.com - chess24 - February 10th, 2021
- Salamanca: Shirov and Topalov in the lead - Chessbase News - February 6th, 2021
- My Son Was A Highly Competitive Chess Player. Then COVID-19 Happened. - HuffPost - February 4th, 2021
- Just the Rules: The Same Thing, Only Different - uschess.org - February 4th, 2021
- Titled Tuesday: Nakamura Back To Winning Ways - Chess.com - February 4th, 2021
- All or nothing: How Wijk aan Zee pulled off its 'most challenging' chess tournament - ESPN - February 3rd, 2021
- For Love of the Game - The Dispatch - February 1st, 2021
- How The Queen's Gambit re-ignited the U of O's chess club - The Fulcrum - January 30th, 2021
- 2021 FIDE World Chess Championship To Be Hosted By Dubai World Expo, Chess.com To Broadcast - Chess.com - January 30th, 2021
- Interim results of sports and recreational activities in January - India Education Diary - January 30th, 2021
- Whats New on Netflix Canada This Week: January 29th, 2021 - What's on Netflix - January 30th, 2021
- Jesuit brings community together with first Spirit Activity - The Plank - January 28th, 2021
- Success at Satu Mare in the online national chess tournament for the age group - CampusLATELY - January 26th, 2021
- First ever Barak Valley Open Chess Tournament kickstarts in Silchar - Barak Bulletin - January 26th, 2021
- 2021 US Amateur Team Events Begin Online This Weekend - uschess.org - January 26th, 2021
- GM Levon Aronian to Participate in Grand Chess Tour - The Armenian Mirror-Spectator - January 25th, 2021
- Another weekend on-line chess tournament - Sunday Observer - January 25th, 2021
- The Chess Masters of New Orleans - WGNO - January 23rd, 2021
- Explained: Why UEFA is rattled over the latest European Super League plan - The Athletic - January 23rd, 2021
- Giving Tuesday | US Chess.org - uschess.org - January 23rd, 2021
- Quackity hits two massive milestones on two channels in the same day - Dexerto - January 23rd, 2021
- No women at Tata Steel chess this year, but game is growing in popularity - DutchNews.nl - January 20th, 2021
- MCCL to host 2021 All-Girls State Championship on Feb. 20 - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - January 20th, 2021
- Yamagata: Discover snow monsters and a hidden mountain temple - Japan Today - January 20th, 2021
- 5 key concepts in poker and chess | chess24.com - chess24 - chess24 - January 20th, 2021
- Bryce Hall confronts creepy stalker invading their TikTok house - Dexerto - January 20th, 2021
- Twitch Chess GM Behind the PogChamps Event Makes Up With the Botez Sisters - EssentiallySports - January 15th, 2021
- Grand Chess Tour: Carlsen, Nakamura Only As Wildcards - Chess.com - January 15th, 2021
- 11 of the best musical soundtracks to test your speakers - What Hi-Fi? - January 15th, 2021
- Fiji Chess hopes to stage a tournament in the North - FBC News - January 15th, 2021
- The Voice Celebrates: Bar-Mitzvahs of Jake Stoopler and Jonah Kutikov - Jewish Community Voice - January 15th, 2021
- Wojtaszek: I'd like to get into the Top 10 - chess24 - January 15th, 2021
- The benefits of approaching this year like a total newbie - KDRV - January 13th, 2021
- World famous Hastings chess tournament takes place this weekend - Hastings Observer - January 9th, 2021
- Sailor Moon: 10 Fights That Are Better In The Anime | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 9th, 2021