By: PTI | Chennai | October 16, 2020 6:16:10 pmIndia enjoyed an unbeaten day with a win and two draws to move up to fourth place after six rounds in the Asian Online Nations (Regions) Cup Team Championship for men on Friday.(Representational Image)
India enjoyed an unbeaten day with a win and two draws to move up to fourth place after six rounds in the Asian Online Nations (Regions) Cup Team Championship for men on Friday.
The top-seeded Indians, who were sixth after three rounds, were held to a 2-2 draw by a strong Kazakhstan team, seeded second, in the sixth round after having shared points with Iran in round four before beating Jordan 3.5-0.5.
In the India-Kazakhstan match, the talented 16-year-old Nihal Sarin and the experienced K Sasikiran scored wins over Rustam Khusnutdiov and Denis Makhnev respectively. B Adhiban and captain Surya Shekhar Ganguly lost their games.
Sasikiran has been a top performer for India, having won all his six matches so far while Ganguly has four victories from five games.
After the conclusion of six rounds, India is on nine match points (two points for winning a match and one for a draw). The team has so far won three matches and drawn three. The countrys top two players former world champion Viswanathan Anand and Vidit Gujrathi are not part of the squad.
After being forced to share points by Indonesia, the Indians bounced back strongly to thrash Jordan 3.5-0.5 with Sarin, captain Ganguly and Sasikiran posting victories. Sameer Mansour held B Adhiban to a draw to prevent an Indian sweep.
In the match against Indonesia, Adhiban drew on top board against Yoseph Theolifus Taher while Sarin and Susanto Megaranto shared honours. Sasikiran posted Indias only win, beating Muhammad Agus Kurniawan while S P Sethuraman slipped to defeat against Novendra Priasmoro from a good position as the teams settled for the 2-2 result.
Iran leads the field with 11 match points with Australia and Kazakhstan in second and third place with 10 match points each.
The tournament is being played on nine-round Swiss System preliminaries in both mens and womens division with a time control of 15 minutes plus 5 second increment.
The top eight teams will qualify for the knockout stage of quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals. Each stage will be a duel of two matches. Cash prizes worth USD 20,000 and gold, silver and bronze certificates as individual board prizes in the preliminary stage are up for grabs.
The womens event resumes on Saturday for rounds four to six with the top-seeded Indians in eighth spot.
The tournament will conclude with the finals on October 25.
The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App.
Read this article:
- How The Queens Gambit Made Its Chess Scenes Believable and Exciting - Vulture - October 24th, 2020
- Asian online chess championship: Top-seeded Indian mens and womens teams reach final - Scroll.in - October 24th, 2020
- Gibraltar To Host Womens FIDE Grand Prix Instead Of Its Annual Chess Festival - Chess.com - October 24th, 2020
- TV review: You don't have to know how to play chess in order to enjoy 'The Queen's Gambit' - Gwinnettdailypost.com - October 24th, 2020
- Israelis and Sudanese promote solidarity and peace through game of chess - The Jerusalem Post - October 24th, 2020
- Enzo On Chess - Big Brother Live Feed Highlight - Yahoo Entertainment - October 24th, 2020
- Durga Puja in 1930s: When theatre, music, chess contest played out in Patna - Deccan Herald - October 24th, 2020
- 14 Things to Watch This Week: Anya Taylor-Joy Plays Chess, the Real 'Amityville' House and Top Secret Videos - Parade - October 24th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: A Netflix Series Where The Chess Is Done Right - Chess.com - October 23rd, 2020
- On The Money: Power players play chess match on COVID-19 aid | Pelosi bullish, Trump tempers optimism | Analysis: Nearly 1M have run out of jobless... - October 23rd, 2020
- SDAFF Review: The Chess Game of the Wind is a Long-Lost Iranian Film That Bristles with Brilliance - The Film Stage - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess players take to the turf for 2020 Halloween Chess Tournament - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - October 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Driving The Uptake Of Chess -- And Of Surveillance Tools To Stop Online Players Cheating - Techdirt - October 21st, 2020
- TV review: You dont have to know how to play chess in order to enjoy The Queens Gambit - Kewanee Star Courier - October 21st, 2020
- Photos/Video: First Look at the Russian Premiere of CHESS The Musical - Broadway World - October 21st, 2020
- Irish Seeking to Win Power Play Chess Match in Red Zone - 247Sports - October 21st, 2020
- A young chess grandmaster leads the game of kings to a glorious future on Twitch - Yahoo! Voices - October 21st, 2020
- Ladies Knight with guests Robin and Sarah Ramson [PODCAST] - uschess.org - October 21st, 2020
- GM Joey Antonio still the king of online chess tourneys - Manila Bulletin - October 21st, 2020
- The chess frontage of Simpsons in the Strand - IanVisits - October 21st, 2020
- Andover 17-year-old competing in national chess championship - Boston 25 News - October 21st, 2020
- Cebuano journo Jobanie Tabada wins National Executive Chess Online tilt - PhilBoxing.com - October 21st, 2020
- Asian Online Team Chess: India finishes 6th in preliminary round, qualifies for quarterfinals - The Indian Express - October 19th, 2020
- Chess vs football: the vital distinction in lockdown strategy - Spectator.co.uk - October 19th, 2020
- Chess and bees - TheArticle - October 17th, 2020
- Asian Online team chess: India women in joint lead - The Tribune - October 17th, 2020
- What Anya Taylor-Joy Learned About Chess and Alcoholism for The Queens Gambit - Observer - October 17th, 2020
- Asian Online Chess: Indian men in 4th position after six rounds - The Bridge - October 17th, 2020
- Nominating Committee Announces Call for Interest for Executive Board Candidates - uschess.org - October 16th, 2020
- Boston Artisan Launches App to Revolutionize the Game of Chess - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2020
- What's Going On With The Chess Piece? - The University News - October 16th, 2020
- In the press - Turkey's Chess Game, QAnon in Europe and Nadal the Great - FRANCE 24 - October 14th, 2020
- Anti-Chess: The Most Exciting Moment In Karpov Vs Korchnoi - Chess.com - October 11th, 2020
- Chess site chooses ten best moves of all time - Stabroek News - October 11th, 2020
- Indias Nihal Sarin wins Junior Speed Chess Championship - The Indian Express - October 11th, 2020
- Growing with golf and chess - Chessbase News - October 8th, 2020
- Archive, 1990: Garry Kasparov is ready to pounce - The Guardian - October 8th, 2020
- Chess Tournament Winner Banned, Says Opponent "Was Doing Pipi In Their Pampers" - Kotaku - October 8th, 2020
- 2020 U.S. Amateur Team Championship Goes to the South - uschess.org - October 8th, 2020
- Trump just kicked over the chess board: GOP faces an election with more pain - POLITICO - October 8th, 2020
- Checkmate, quarantine: Chess Club thrives in the Zoom era - The Williams record - October 8th, 2020
- Abdusattorov Wins 19th Speed Chess Grand Prix - Chess.com - October 8th, 2020
- Lyricist Tim Rice Thinks CHESS Could Make a Broadway Comeback - Broadway World - October 8th, 2020
- The Check is in the Mail: October 2020 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - October 8th, 2020
- Ravens News 10/7: Chess Match and more - Baltimore Beatdown - October 8th, 2020
- Chess success with one team leading Andalucian First Division - Euro Weekly News - October 5th, 2020
- Pictures of people playing chess in Hampshire through the years - Daily Echo - October 3rd, 2020
- Hit traps and peel switches: The two chess moves that ended a Rockets era - The Athletic - October 3rd, 2020
- In the News: WebsterVOTES, Woody Cooper, Kaiser, chess alumni - Webster University Newsroom - October 3rd, 2020
- Gone too soon: Brimfield teen remembered as jokester and expert chess player - Pekin Daily Times - October 3rd, 2020
- This is not a game of chess, it's a war! - Grenfell Record and Bland Advertiser - October 1st, 2020
- 'Audiences wont have seen anything like this': how Iranian film Chess of the Wind was reborn - The Guardian - September 30th, 2020
- Harry Potter and the Uncredited Creator of That Chess Scene - The Film Magazine - September 30th, 2020
- Thames Water vows action to prevent sewage discharges at River Chess - Watford Observer - September 30th, 2020
- Executive Board Nominating Committee Election | US Chess.org - uschess.org - September 29th, 2020
- Top female chess referee who fled Iran reveals her Jewish roots - The Jewish Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- The best chess websites for playing, watching, and keeping up with the news - Financial Times - September 28th, 2020
- 'I couldn't tolerate it any longer': how Iranian chess referee with secret Jewish heritage was forced to live a 'fake' life - Telegraph.co.uk - September 28th, 2020
- Pendragon review: chess and Arthurian legend collide to generate stories both beautiful and tragic - NME - September 26th, 2020
- Playing chess with the Pearl Royale is the ultimate flex of extravagance - Men's Gear - September 26th, 2020
- This is not a game of chess, it's a war! - The Young Witness - September 26th, 2020
- IM Shahade to Lead Girls Club Zoom on Opening Preparation. - uschess.org - September 24th, 2020
- Full list of EVERY character in Auto Brawl Chess: Battle Royale - Pocket Gamer - September 24th, 2020
- Will Trump play checkers or chess with nomination? - al.com - September 24th, 2020
- Local chess ace targets top spot - The Voice Online - September 24th, 2020
- Is the ban on WeChat the first move in a diplomatic chess game? - MercatorNet - September 24th, 2020
- Road To The PCL Finals: China Pandas - Chess.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Russias Post-Covid Economic Policies Will Be a Game of Chess - ETF Trends - September 23rd, 2020
- CHESS Health Selected by Next Step Community, an Addiction Recovery Program Located in Terre Haute, Indiana - PR Web - September 23rd, 2020
- On the origins of chess (7/7) - Chessbase News - September 22nd, 2020
- Ten Years of Chess Innovation. How Lichess grew from a simple tech | by Samuel Sullivan | SUPERJUMP | Sep, 2020 - Medium - September 20th, 2020
- 24th wedding anniversary online chess tilt - PhilBoxing.com - September 20th, 2020
- Road To The PCL Finals: Armenia Eagles - Chess.com - September 20th, 2020
- 2020 Collegiate Rapid & Blitz - Sept 26-27, and it's free! - uschess.org - September 19th, 2020
- Road To The PCL Finals: Canada Chessbrahs - Chess.com - September 19th, 2020
- The ongoing online Renaissance in the world of Chess - Sportskeeda - September 16th, 2020
- John Leguizamo on bringing the 'intellectual hustle' of chess to life - Page Six - September 16th, 2020
- John Leguizamo Plays a Round of Chess in N.Y.C., Plus Mindy Kaling, Justin Bieber and More - PEOPLE - September 16th, 2020
- An interview with Ben Johnson, the perpetual podcaster - Chessbase News - September 15th, 2020
- Chess masters make all the smart moves - IOL - September 15th, 2020