Alice Lee, a 6th grader from North Oaks, is already a National Master but she has her sights set higher.
NORTH OAKS, Minn. Alice Lee started playing chess when she was in first grade, tagging along to a chess club with her older brother. For the first few years, she didnt know how talented she was.
It would have been a surprise to me when I was younger that I would ever become this good, she said.
This good is what made Lee, when she was eight years old, the second youngest girl to ever be named Chess Expert by the United States Chess Federation in its 81-year history.
This weekend, she will compete virtually in the 2020 U.S. Girls' Junior Championship, hosted by the Saint Louis Chess Club. She will be playing against nine girls who represent the strongest female chess players under 20 in the U.S., all of whom are older than she is.
But Lee isnt worried about that.
Theyre strong players, Im glad I get to play them, she said. Even if I lose, Ill still learn a lot.
Losing isnt something that Lee does often, though. She won the National Girls Championship U8 section at seven years of age, and went on to place 5th in the Girls U8 section in the 2017 World Cadet Chess Championship. She won the National Girls Championship U18 section at the age of 9, and was the gold medalist in the 2019 World Cadet Championship in the Girls U10 section.
Lee now 10 years old, holds the title of National Master in the U.S., putting her among the top 30 female chess players in the country.
Lee works hard for all of those titles, putting in three hours of practice each day. She plays practice games online and against friends, and studies chess tactics diligently so she can keep getting better and better.
Even with as much time and effort as she devotes to the game, she still finds it fun to play.
Theres a lot of people you get to meet," Lee said. "Ive met people at tournaments, like Garry Kasparov, hes a former world champion, and Ive actually met some of the people I'm going to play this weekend. I also like that you have to concentrate when you play, so it helps you focus. Chess gives you time to learn and get better and reach a goal.
Lee has one goal in particular for her chess career and she knows how she plans to get there, one tournament at a time.
"I was happy when I was named Chess Expert because then I started thinking bigger," she said. "That gave me inspiration to go even farther. I hope to become a GM, a Grand Master, the highest rank you can get. It's a lifetime goal. I have to work hard and learn. Playing games, like I'm doing this weekend, is part of that. Just a lot of practice and studying."
- Play blitz and win prizes on playchess.com! - Chessbase News - October 21st, 2020
- Bel Airs Shelby Getz survives unforgettable chess battles with legends of the game at U.S. Senior Championship - Baltimore Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Levon Aronian: I haven't slept since war started - chess24 - October 21st, 2020
- Asian Online Team Chess: India finishes 6th in preliminary round, qualifies for quarterfinals - Outlook India - October 19th, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Postponed Until Spring 2021 - Chess.com - October 17th, 2020
- Bel Air resident and chess champion Shelby Getz to battle for national senior championship online this weekend - Baltimore Sun - October 16th, 2020
- Baltimore man looking to win $50k prize in national chess tournament - wmar2news.com - October 16th, 2020
- $100+K awarded at 2020 SPFNO Online, with 100% Fair Play on National Chess Day! - Chess Daily News - October 16th, 2020
- Meet Zico, The First 17yo Malaysian To Receive The SENIA World Changer Award - WORLD OF BUZZ - October 16th, 2020
- Blast from the Past / 1959: a summertime parade of toys - Lewiston Morning Tribune - October 16th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Tries a Risky Play: Betting Chess Can Be Good TV - The New York Times - October 16th, 2020
- The Best Chess Games In History - Boss Hunting - October 14th, 2020
- New research reveals mentally demanding tasks are more difficult to handle at home - ResponseSource - October 14th, 2020
- Igors Rausis: Chess cheat resurfaces after an infamous toilet break - The Indian Express - October 14th, 2020
- King to king - Chessbase News - October 14th, 2020
- How To Play In US Chess Online Rated Tournaments - Chess.com - October 9th, 2020
- The tech company Play Magnus today been admitted trading - The FINANCIAL - October 8th, 2020
- IM Bhakti Kulkarni to represent Women Indian Team in the Asian Nation's Cup Online Chess - Oherald - October 8th, 2020
- CCPS hosting in-person chess tournament, limited to students in Grades 4-12 - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - October 7th, 2020
- ESL Mobile Open Europe and MENA announced with a prize pool of nearly $100000 - Dot Esports - October 7th, 2020
- Meet these mini-grandmasters of chess - two brothers from Cork - EchoLive.ie - October 7th, 2020
- Irshad Mohammed walks away with top spot in latest round of chess tournament - Stabroek News - October 7th, 2020
- NRX is king of Call of Duty Mobile in Southeast Asia - Manila Bulletin - October 5th, 2020
- Surya Shekhar Ganguly in conversation with Vladimir Kramnik - Chessbase News - October 3rd, 2020
- On Chess: Returning To Over The Board Chess Tournaments - St. Louis Public Radio - October 3rd, 2020
- Fresh Surface Firmware Updates Are Out for Pro 7 and Book 3 - Best gaming pro - October 3rd, 2020
- Why Utah's new Teacher of the Year wants his students of color to play chess - Salt Lake Tribune - October 3rd, 2020
- x64 emulation is coming to Windows on ARM - Best gaming pro - October 3rd, 2020
- When did they get it? - The ten highest-ever rated players - Chessbase News - October 3rd, 2020
- SANDCAST: Answering beach volleyball's questions in a year with no shortage of them - Volleyball Magazine - October 1st, 2020
- Chess and coffee - Chessbase News - September 30th, 2020
- Altibox Norway Chess 2020: Live and over-the-board! - Chessbase News - September 29th, 2020
- The Queen's Journey with chess and ballet: In conversation with Jason Kouchak - Sportskeeda - September 29th, 2020
- Goodbyes and well-wishes: PBA players leave home to start life in Clark bubble - Manila Bulletin - September 29th, 2020
- Diamond-clad Pearl Royale is worlds most expensive chess set - dlmag - September 29th, 2020
- Spanish Team Championship, Round 3: Andreu Paterna in the lead - Chessbase News - September 28th, 2020
- Adesanya retains UFC title with early TKO of Costa - Manila Bulletin - September 28th, 2020
- 5 Amazing Chess Players You've Never Heard Of - Chess.com - September 26th, 2020
- John Leguizamo Is Sick of Latinos Being Excluded in Hollywood: 'Were 1 Percent of the Stories' - PEOPLE - September 26th, 2020
- One Day on a Hard Court, Then on Clay - The New York Times - September 26th, 2020
- Chess in the movies: "Critical Thinking" - a fine film by John Leguizamo - Chessbase News - September 26th, 2020
- Two locals in contention for top spot - The Daily Star - September 26th, 2020
- Tournament from tomorrow - The Daily Star - September 23rd, 2020
- AlphaZero (And Other!) Chess Variants Now Available For Everyone - Chess.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Guess the child prodigy - Chessbase News - September 23rd, 2020
- Int'l online chess event to mark 74th birthday of PM Hasina - Dhaka Tribune - September 23rd, 2020
- Ranindu, Nethmi win top titles at Chess Nationals - Ceylon Daily News - September 23rd, 2020
- Mechanics' to Host U.S. Cadet National Championship this Weekend - uschess.org - September 22nd, 2020
- The Only Problem In Fischer Random Chess - Chess.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Today's Top Sports News: Who can become the captain of Team India after Kohli, Sunil Gavaskar said this - Pledge Times - September 20th, 2020
- Pushed to the limit, Djokovic finds a way to win - The Tribune - September 19th, 2020
- The True Story Behind Critical Thinking, Movie Based in Miami - Miami New Times - September 19th, 2020
- Summer Knights stands as school year's first chess tourney - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - September 19th, 2020
- So Leads Saint Louis Tournament Before Blitz Games - Chess.com - September 19th, 2020
- Mobile Premier League bets on advertising to create niche in e-sports market - Mint - September 19th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen has conquered the world of chess. Now he's setting his sights on fantasy football - erienewsnow.com - September 19th, 2020
- Saint Louis Rapid & Blitz: Live! - Chessbase News - September 16th, 2020
- Boston Celtics vs. Miami Heat a series where each team must make tough choices: Youre not expecting it to b - MassLive.com - September 16th, 2020
- US Open: Winged Foot looks to humble the Professionals - Pro Golf Now - September 15th, 2020
- Kasparov Holds Carlsen In 1st Clash In 16 Years - Chess.com - September 12th, 2020
- Is There Going to be an 'Alpha Flight' Movie? - Book and Film Globe - September 12th, 2020
- 'Chess player' Daniil Medvedev looks the one to beat at US Open - Eurosport.com - September 12th, 2020
- Nihal Beats Tang In Junior Speed Chess Championship - Chess.com - September 12th, 2020
- Mikoto interview: I'm kind of getting motivated after losing to TNC - VPEsports - September 11th, 2020
- Stars, Golden Knights reach chess match part of West final - NHL - September 11th, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Resumes November 1 - Chess.com - September 9th, 2020
- Chess prodigy Ajitesh Nair on the cusp of history - Telangana Today - September 9th, 2020
- Amid a lockdown and development of livestreaming technology, chess is going through a renaissance - Firstpost - September 8th, 2020
- Nathanael Paul crowned county champion for the first time - shropshirestar.com - September 8th, 2020
- Junior Speed Chess Championship Begins This Week - Chess.com - September 7th, 2020
- Is Critical Thinking on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime? Where to Watch Critical Thinking? - The Cinemaholic - September 5th, 2020
- Giri replaced by Duda in Norway Chess: Would've loved to play - chess24 - September 4th, 2020
- CLG Partners With Chess.com For First-Ever CLG Chess Arena - Chess.com - September 4th, 2020
- Indian GM Iniyan wins World Open online chess - The Tribune India - September 4th, 2020
- Critical Thinking Review: All the Right Moves - The New York Times - September 4th, 2020
- Wroclaw wins the 2020 Polish Team Championship - Chessbase News - September 4th, 2020
- Team captain Vidit Gujrathi looks back at Indias dramatic shared title at the Online Chess Olympiad - The Indian Express - September 4th, 2020
- Masks, soap machines and mini-golf: inside the US Open bubble - FRANCE 24 - September 3rd, 2020
- With "Critical Thinking," John Leguizamo directs a rousing "Stand and Deliver"-style chess story - Salon - September 3rd, 2020
- Masks, soap machines and mini-golf: inside the US Open bubble - Yahoo Sports - September 1st, 2020