Now, millions of struggling voters including in key swing states will probably not see any more enhanced unemployment benefits or direct stimulus checks before the election. Layoffs, especially in the airline industry, could continue to mount. And some of the remaining 40 percent of small businesses that initially closed during Covid-19 lockdowns but managed to hang on could shut for good.
Trump wants stimulus and its more in his political interests than anyone else, particularly given where the race stands at the moment, said Jeremy Lawson, chief economist at Aberdeen Standard Investments. And another $2 trillion or so would clearly have had a significant impact. The failure to extend stimulus is clearly playing a role in the reduced speed of the recovery the last couple of months.
As with everything else in the political world at the moment, nothing seemed fully settled on Wednesday and Wall Street once again embraced hope that perhaps some kind of stimulus could clear a deeply fractured Congress and get to Trumps desk before the election.
After saying he was killing the talks because Democrats were demanding too much money for failed, high crime, Cities and States, Trump later on Tuesday called for stand-alone bills to aid the airline industry and provide more money for the Paycheck Protection Program to assist small businesses. Pelosi herself had suggested stand-alone bills in the past. But she is unlikely to call members back from their election season recess unless there is a comprehensive agreement, which now seems close to impossible.
Adding to the confusion, White House chief of staff Mark Meadows said Wednesday that he and Mnuchin were considering a slimmed-down stimulus aimed at sending out more direct checks to Americans along with small business and airline aid.
But top White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said on CNBC on Wednesday that he saw a low probability that anything could get done and that upcoming Supreme Court confirmation hearings in the Senate would make it more difficult.
Weve only got four weeks to the election and we have a justice of the Supreme Court to get passed, Kudlow said. Its too close to the election not enough time to get stuff done at this stage in the game.
With that message, Kudlow opened the White House up to criticism that it was placing the Supreme Court seat above assisting an economy in which 26 million remain on some type of jobless assistance. The U.S. labor market remains only about halfway to replacing the 22 million jobs lost to the pandemic.
The wildly mixed messages coming from the administration coupled with the fact that Democrats appear confident the election is turning their way up and down the ballot suggest no stimulus is likely to arrive soon for an economy that has seen hiring slow sharply and personal income and spending decline as the roughly $4 trillion in stimulus previously approved runs out.
Many investors are counting on a deal after the election or at least a giant fiscal boost if Democrats take control of the White House and the Senate in January. But that could leave the economy fizzling out in the coming months just as another wave of coronavirus cases overwhelms consumers and businesses across the nation.
Joseph Brusuelas, chief economist at consulting firm RSM US, said in a note to clients Wednesday he had downgraded his expectations for economic growth to a paltry 2.25 percent pace in the fourth quarter and 2 percent in the first quarter, because of a likely lack of fiscal aid that will affect the economy and a growing uncertainty around the U.S. election.
More broadly, some Republicans expressed surprise and dismay that Trump did not push harder for more stimulus back in August when Mnuchin and Pelosi initially thought they had a rough agreement for between $1.6 trillion and $2.4 trillion in new stimulus. Trump over the summer occasionally tweeted about his general support for further stimulus but balked at Democrats demands for aid to state and local governments.
Trumps Covid-19 diagnosis last week and three-day hospital stay injected further distractions into the stimulus talks. Then the president returned to the White House from Walter Reed Medical Center and essentially blew up the talks, attempting to shift blame to Democrats for not accepting a smaller bill.
Few Republicans are confident that Trump will be able to shift the narrative on who is to blame for the lack of fresh aid during a pandemic.
Theres no strategy here. Trump just kicked over the chess board and committed political [suicide] in front of all of us, said J.W. Verret, a George Mason University law school professor and former chief economist and senior counsel to the House Financial Services Committee when it was controlled by Republicans.
Meanwhile, the economic damage from the expiration of stimulus is already evident anywhere you look, from initial jobless claims remaining close to one million every week and the pace of returning jobs slowing from nearly 5 million in June to just 661,000 in September. Personal income dropped 2.7 percent in August as extra unemployment benefits ran out.
The pain is not at all limited to blue states. Unemployment in the swing states of Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan, for example, remains above the national level of 7.9 percent. And that overall number, while down from a Covid-era high of nearly 15 percent in April, is still well above the level at which incumbent presidents tend to get reelected.
Analysts on Wednesday suggested that had Trump pushed the Senate GOP early on for a new stimulus bill topping $1 trillion he might have pulled along Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and enough of the GOP caucus.
But as the months dragged on, the president had far less leverage with the Senate GOP and now seems likely to head into Election Day with key sectors of the economy struggling even more in the coming weeks.
Trump and Mnuchin have been caught between Pelosi and Senate Republicans right from the beginning of this, and Trump was never able to manage these competing demands, said Lawson. And its reasonable to say the recovery would have been faster if they could have agreed to something.
See the original post:
- How The Queens Gambit Made Its Chess Scenes Believable and Exciting - Vulture - October 24th, 2020
- Asian online chess championship: Top-seeded Indian mens and womens teams reach final - Scroll.in - October 24th, 2020
- Gibraltar To Host Womens FIDE Grand Prix Instead Of Its Annual Chess Festival - Chess.com - October 24th, 2020
- TV review: You don't have to know how to play chess in order to enjoy 'The Queen's Gambit' - Gwinnettdailypost.com - October 24th, 2020
- Israelis and Sudanese promote solidarity and peace through game of chess - The Jerusalem Post - October 24th, 2020
- Enzo On Chess - Big Brother Live Feed Highlight - Yahoo Entertainment - October 24th, 2020
- Durga Puja in 1930s: When theatre, music, chess contest played out in Patna - Deccan Herald - October 24th, 2020
- 14 Things to Watch This Week: Anya Taylor-Joy Plays Chess, the Real 'Amityville' House and Top Secret Videos - Parade - October 24th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: A Netflix Series Where The Chess Is Done Right - Chess.com - October 23rd, 2020
- On The Money: Power players play chess match on COVID-19 aid | Pelosi bullish, Trump tempers optimism | Analysis: Nearly 1M have run out of jobless... - October 23rd, 2020
- SDAFF Review: The Chess Game of the Wind is a Long-Lost Iranian Film That Bristles with Brilliance - The Film Stage - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess players take to the turf for 2020 Halloween Chess Tournament - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - October 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Driving The Uptake Of Chess -- And Of Surveillance Tools To Stop Online Players Cheating - Techdirt - October 21st, 2020
- TV review: You dont have to know how to play chess in order to enjoy The Queens Gambit - Kewanee Star Courier - October 21st, 2020
- Photos/Video: First Look at the Russian Premiere of CHESS The Musical - Broadway World - October 21st, 2020
- Irish Seeking to Win Power Play Chess Match in Red Zone - 247Sports - October 21st, 2020
- A young chess grandmaster leads the game of kings to a glorious future on Twitch - Yahoo! Voices - October 21st, 2020
- Ladies Knight with guests Robin and Sarah Ramson [PODCAST] - uschess.org - October 21st, 2020
- GM Joey Antonio still the king of online chess tourneys - Manila Bulletin - October 21st, 2020
- The chess frontage of Simpsons in the Strand - IanVisits - October 21st, 2020
- Andover 17-year-old competing in national chess championship - Boston 25 News - October 21st, 2020
- Cebuano journo Jobanie Tabada wins National Executive Chess Online tilt - PhilBoxing.com - October 21st, 2020
- Asian Online Team Chess: India finishes 6th in preliminary round, qualifies for quarterfinals - The Indian Express - October 19th, 2020
- Chess vs football: the vital distinction in lockdown strategy - Spectator.co.uk - October 19th, 2020
- Chess and bees - TheArticle - October 17th, 2020
- Asian Online team chess: India women in joint lead - The Tribune - October 17th, 2020
- What Anya Taylor-Joy Learned About Chess and Alcoholism for The Queens Gambit - Observer - October 17th, 2020
- Asian Online Chess: Indian men in 4th position after six rounds - The Bridge - October 17th, 2020
- Asian Online Team Chess: Indian men in 4th spot after six rounds - The Indian Express - October 16th, 2020
- Nominating Committee Announces Call for Interest for Executive Board Candidates - uschess.org - October 16th, 2020
- Boston Artisan Launches App to Revolutionize the Game of Chess - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2020
- What's Going On With The Chess Piece? - The University News - October 16th, 2020
- In the press - Turkey's Chess Game, QAnon in Europe and Nadal the Great - FRANCE 24 - October 14th, 2020
- Anti-Chess: The Most Exciting Moment In Karpov Vs Korchnoi - Chess.com - October 11th, 2020
- Chess site chooses ten best moves of all time - Stabroek News - October 11th, 2020
- Indias Nihal Sarin wins Junior Speed Chess Championship - The Indian Express - October 11th, 2020
- Growing with golf and chess - Chessbase News - October 8th, 2020
- Archive, 1990: Garry Kasparov is ready to pounce - The Guardian - October 8th, 2020
- Chess Tournament Winner Banned, Says Opponent "Was Doing Pipi In Their Pampers" - Kotaku - October 8th, 2020
- 2020 U.S. Amateur Team Championship Goes to the South - uschess.org - October 8th, 2020
- Checkmate, quarantine: Chess Club thrives in the Zoom era - The Williams record - October 8th, 2020
- Abdusattorov Wins 19th Speed Chess Grand Prix - Chess.com - October 8th, 2020
- Lyricist Tim Rice Thinks CHESS Could Make a Broadway Comeback - Broadway World - October 8th, 2020
- The Check is in the Mail: October 2020 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - October 8th, 2020
- Ravens News 10/7: Chess Match and more - Baltimore Beatdown - October 8th, 2020
- Chess success with one team leading Andalucian First Division - Euro Weekly News - October 5th, 2020
- Pictures of people playing chess in Hampshire through the years - Daily Echo - October 3rd, 2020
- Hit traps and peel switches: The two chess moves that ended a Rockets era - The Athletic - October 3rd, 2020
- In the News: WebsterVOTES, Woody Cooper, Kaiser, chess alumni - Webster University Newsroom - October 3rd, 2020
- Gone too soon: Brimfield teen remembered as jokester and expert chess player - Pekin Daily Times - October 3rd, 2020
- This is not a game of chess, it's a war! - Grenfell Record and Bland Advertiser - October 1st, 2020
- 'Audiences wont have seen anything like this': how Iranian film Chess of the Wind was reborn - The Guardian - September 30th, 2020
- Harry Potter and the Uncredited Creator of That Chess Scene - The Film Magazine - September 30th, 2020
- Thames Water vows action to prevent sewage discharges at River Chess - Watford Observer - September 30th, 2020
- Executive Board Nominating Committee Election | US Chess.org - uschess.org - September 29th, 2020
- Top female chess referee who fled Iran reveals her Jewish roots - The Jewish Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- The best chess websites for playing, watching, and keeping up with the news - Financial Times - September 28th, 2020
- 'I couldn't tolerate it any longer': how Iranian chess referee with secret Jewish heritage was forced to live a 'fake' life - Telegraph.co.uk - September 28th, 2020
- Pendragon review: chess and Arthurian legend collide to generate stories both beautiful and tragic - NME - September 26th, 2020
- Playing chess with the Pearl Royale is the ultimate flex of extravagance - Men's Gear - September 26th, 2020
- This is not a game of chess, it's a war! - The Young Witness - September 26th, 2020
- IM Shahade to Lead Girls Club Zoom on Opening Preparation. - uschess.org - September 24th, 2020
- Full list of EVERY character in Auto Brawl Chess: Battle Royale - Pocket Gamer - September 24th, 2020
- Will Trump play checkers or chess with nomination? - al.com - September 24th, 2020
- Local chess ace targets top spot - The Voice Online - September 24th, 2020
- Is the ban on WeChat the first move in a diplomatic chess game? - MercatorNet - September 24th, 2020
- Road To The PCL Finals: China Pandas - Chess.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Russias Post-Covid Economic Policies Will Be a Game of Chess - ETF Trends - September 23rd, 2020
- CHESS Health Selected by Next Step Community, an Addiction Recovery Program Located in Terre Haute, Indiana - PR Web - September 23rd, 2020
- On the origins of chess (7/7) - Chessbase News - September 22nd, 2020
- Ten Years of Chess Innovation. How Lichess grew from a simple tech | by Samuel Sullivan | SUPERJUMP | Sep, 2020 - Medium - September 20th, 2020
- 24th wedding anniversary online chess tilt - PhilBoxing.com - September 20th, 2020
- Road To The PCL Finals: Armenia Eagles - Chess.com - September 20th, 2020
- 2020 Collegiate Rapid & Blitz - Sept 26-27, and it's free! - uschess.org - September 19th, 2020
- Road To The PCL Finals: Canada Chessbrahs - Chess.com - September 19th, 2020
- The ongoing online Renaissance in the world of Chess - Sportskeeda - September 16th, 2020
- John Leguizamo on bringing the 'intellectual hustle' of chess to life - Page Six - September 16th, 2020
- John Leguizamo Plays a Round of Chess in N.Y.C., Plus Mindy Kaling, Justin Bieber and More - PEOPLE - September 16th, 2020
- An interview with Ben Johnson, the perpetual podcaster - Chessbase News - September 15th, 2020
- Chess masters make all the smart moves - IOL - September 15th, 2020