Iowa safety Geno Stone is coming off a strong performance against Purdue, and knows the Hawkeyes have lost three in a row vs. the Wildcats. Hawk Central
The day was August 10, 2019. The place was Kinnick Stadium for Iowa footballs annual Kids' Day open practice. The moment was freshman Dane Belton showing a lack of hustle.
I dont remember exactly what Phil Parker shouted, but I remember taking notes 30 rows up in the east stands and easily hearing the longtime Iowa defensive coordinators displeasure cut through the loud Kinnickmusic.
I remember subsequently thinking something like, Guess we wont see him on the field anytime soon.
Iowa's Dane Belton, a true sophomore from Tampa, enters the 2020 season with gobs of potential and a key role.(Photo: Jeff Hanisch, USA TODAY Sports)
My eyes were on Belton that Saturday, because less than 24 hours earlier, Parker had mentioned the then-true freshman from Tampa, Florida, as an intriguing depth piece at safety.
Hes a good athlete. He wants to study football, Parker had said. Im not saying hes going to be (Amani) Hooker, but hes capable of playing at that level.
My mind circles back to those moments when considering how essential Belton is to Iowa's defense today.
Belton, speaking this week in his first media interview as a Hawkeye, remembered those early learning moments from the demanding Parker, who doubles as defensive backs coach.
Coming from high school youve got to start from the bottom, Belton said. But I felt like I kind of knew what I was walking into. And I knew what kind of coach that coach Parker was. And those are kind of things that you just have to build upon and realize why he's doing that.
He's not just yelling to yell. I feel like hes doing it for a reason, to make you better.
Belton is a smart 19-year-old. He is a kinesiology major and was academic all-Big Ten Conference as a true freshman. Even though he was relegated to Iowas scout team for the first three weeks of last season, Belton knew he needed to show consistent effort and football know-how to impress Parker.
After Iowas 3-0 start, there was a bye week. It was then that Belton got a chance to take practice reps as a Hawkeye rather than mimicking an opponents looks. And thats when his Iowacareer turned a corner.
We had some scrimmages against each other in practice, Belton said. And that was when I got the opportunity to show that I can play.
The next week against Middle Tennessee State, he was rewarded with hisfirst 11 collegiate snaps some of them meaningful in a 48-3 win. After Belton sat out losses to Michigan and Penn State, Parker made a defensive change. He was returning Iowa to a 4-2-5 base defense, analignment that worked well in 2018.Hooker became Iowas first full-timer at the cash position:a hybrid outside linebacker (who must hold the edgeon running plays)and cornerback (who must defendthe pass).
Parker chose Belton, the true freshman, as hisnew Amani Hooker.Just as he had hinted two months earlier.
Amani was a great player, Belton said of the 2018 Big Tendefensive player of the year and current regular with the NFL's Tennessee Titans. He made great plays at cash. He opened the door to that position.
Belton was trusted with 55 snaps at cash in a 26-20 win against Purdue, a performance worthy of earning his first start the following week at Northwestern. Iowa delivered a 20-0 shutout, with Belton playing 65 of 68 defensive snaps.
Hes been a regular ever since. He finished his rookie campaign with six tackles in Iowas 49-24 rout of high-powered USC in the Holiday Bowl.
And now, Beltons such an important figure in Iowas 2020 defensethat Parker wishes he could start him at two spots: cash and strong safety. Beltonsaid he's gotten ample work at both positions in practice.
If Iowa reverts to a 4-3 defense, odds are we'll see Belton and Jack Koerner at safeties. If Iowas in a 4-2-5 (as I would expect most weeks), Beltons at the cash and Kaevon Merriweather is the leading contender at strong safety.
Belton has become the Iowa defenses 6-foot-1, 205-pound chess piece.
Hooker, too, juggled both positions as a Hawkeye junior.
Beltons doing it as a sophomore with zero spring practice because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Yeah, hes going to make mistakes. And yeah, he can also become a fast fan favorite with his versatile abilityand football dedication.
Belton's first assignment of the 2020 season? Its a doozy: arguably the most dangerous slot receiver in all of college football, Purdues Rondale Moore. Even though the Hawkeyes are in "Iowa vs. Iowa" mode in practice, Belton and his defensive-back mates began watching Purdue film two weeks ago (after the revised Big Ten schedules came out).
Belton knows he'll be an important factor in that tone-setting opener Oct. 24 in West Lafayette, Indiana.
We have started looking at Purdue, Belton said. I mean, you have all this time. Why not, you know?
Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 25 years with The Des Moines Register, USA TODAY and Iowa City Press-Citizen. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.
See the article here:
- Study finds spread of coronavirus on an airplane is minimal - Yahoo Money - October 24th, 2020
- B2B Telecommunications Market Competitive Insights 2020 : Callstream, Charterhouse Voice and Data, BT Group - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Lockdown Impact On Chess Table Market 2020 | Growth and Demand | Projected By Market Data Analytics - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Forecast to 2025 Published By Leading Research Firm The House of Staunton, ChessSUA - The Think Curiouser - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News by Decresearch - October 23rd, 2020
- 5 Iconic Places Around Campus - The Third Eye - October 23rd, 2020
- Grand master Hikaru challenges Obama to chess match on Twitch - Dexerto - October 23rd, 2020
- Overnight Health Care: Trump says he hopes Supreme Court strikes down ObamaCare | FDA approves remdesivir as COVID-19 treatment | Dems threaten to... - October 23rd, 2020
- 8 Examples of Artificial Intelligence in our Everyday Lives - Edgy Labs - October 23rd, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies | Industry Growth... - October 23rd, 2020
- Review: Invasion from Mars, A War of the Worlds Radio Play by Theatre in the DarkMemories of 1938 - thirdcoastreview.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Sailor Mercury Was The Smartest Senshi Ever (& 5 She Dropped The Ball) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 23rd, 2020
- With a passion for STEM, U of T recipients of the Schulich Leader Scholarships are flying high - News@UofT - October 21st, 2020
- Where Is A Will There Is Brazil Society 2020, Despite The Pandemics - Analysis - Eurasia Review - October 21st, 2020
- 5 Strategies You Can Use to Build an Emotionally Intelligent Team - Entrepreneur - October 21st, 2020
- Chess For Beginners | Study Plan: The Opening - Chess.com - October 19th, 2020
- How to Study Chess | US Chess.org - October 19th, 2020
- Rook, line and sinker - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - October 19th, 2020
- BepiColombo Spacecraft Studies Venus on Its Way to Mercury - Best gaming pro - October 19th, 2020
- Netballer awarded trifecta of top University sports awards - India Education Diary - October 19th, 2020
- Blog: Five cases in which robots are better than man - The Slovak Spectator - October 17th, 2020
- Beating Blitz Will Be Critical in Beating Bucs - Sports Illustrated - October 17th, 2020
- Looking to Get Lost Review: The Heart of Rock n Roll - Wall Street Journal - October 17th, 2020
- Mentally demanding tasks are harder to handle at home - Workplace Insight - October 16th, 2020
- How Many Hours Of Chess Study Does It Take To Be A Grandmaster? - Chess.com - October 16th, 2020
- Things to do in Brownwood and the area - Brownwood Bulletin - October 16th, 2020
- Daddy and 9 Other Reads I Cant Get Out of My Head - Vulture - October 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 implications for brand strategists - Ask Afrika - Bizcommunity.com - October 16th, 2020
- Our Critic on the Best of the 2020 New York Film Festival - Nashville Scene - October 16th, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Competitive Analysis 2020 and Key Players: SRC, Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing, Airbus Defence and Space, etc - re:Jerusalem - October 14th, 2020
- Exploring Iceland's volcanoes and glacier caves - Red Bull Australia - October 14th, 2020
- To Stop an Electoral Coup, Study What Went Wrong in the 2000 Florida Recount - Jacobin magazine - October 14th, 2020
- Cam Newton remains on track to play on Monday, barring the development of symptoms - NBC Sports - NFL - October 11th, 2020
- Carlsen may have shown the way for Virat, Dhoni - Bangalore Mirror - October 11th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Another instructive endgame - Chessbase News - October 9th, 2020
- How to watch the Apple iPhone 12 event on October 13 - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- PocketBook Color review: is color E Ink finally ready? - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- Can't smell stinky fish? It might be in your genes - Nature.com - October 9th, 2020
- BOARD GAMES Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2025 | Asmode Editions, Goliath BV, Hasbro - re:Jerusalem - October 9th, 2020
- Key West Voters To Decide What Happens To Cruises, Revisiting A Study On Hate Groups, 'Critical Thinking' With John Leguizamo - WLRN - October 8th, 2020
- McDonald's set to release new breakfast items in October - Yahoo Money - October 8th, 2020
- Curly the Curling Robot Can Beat the Pros at Their Own Game - Smithsonian Magazine - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Industry Revenue, Key Players, Supply-demand, COVID 19 Investment Feasibility and Forecast to 2026- The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 7th, 2020
- Aspen teachers say they're being made pawns in the pandemic - Aspen Times - October 7th, 2020
- Learn The Fundamental Theorem of Poker - Using Math to Win at Poker - BestUSCasinos.org - October 7th, 2020
- Nektar Therapeutics (NKTR) and the Battle of Fundamentals vs. Technicals - The News Heater - October 7th, 2020
- Underline going over the top to celebrate its first leg - Miami Today - October 7th, 2020
- Ceramic Wash Basin Market COVID 19 Status, Growth Rate by Applications, and Future Forecast 2026- TOTO, AmericanStandard, Roca, HCG, Villeroy Boch -... - October 7th, 2020
- Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market Growth And Status Explored In A New Research Report QY Research, IncLockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - The Daily... - October 7th, 2020
- Meet Chirag Falor, the JEE Advanced topper Rank 1 and Bal Shakti award winner studying at MIT - India Today - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Online: How to Play and Win Chess | Chess Tips & Strategies - Popular Mechanics - October 3rd, 2020
- Curly the Robot Competes With Professional Curling Athletes - Science Times - October 3rd, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Chess Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global B2B Telecommunications Market Research Report 2026 Observational Studies with Top Manufacturers like BT Group, Callstream, Chess, Charterhouse... - October 3rd, 2020
- Jeffrey Aronson: When I Use a Word . . . Planning - The BMJ - The BMJ - October 3rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Fans Hated Sailor Mercury (& 5 They Loved Her) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 3rd, 2020
- Review: Aurora Fox' "Tom Foolery: The Words and Music of Tom Lehrer" - The Know - October 3rd, 2020
- Robot named 'Curly' uses AI to beat one of the world's best curling teams at their own game - The Streetjournal - October 1st, 2020
- Harlem's 67 Orange Bar Cocktails in the Time of Corona - The Daily Beast - October 1st, 2020
- Get to know Grand Haven school board candidates - Grand Haven Tribune - October 1st, 2020
- AI Robot "Curly" Beats the Korean Olympic Silver-Medalist Curling Team - Tech Times - October 1st, 2020
- San Franciscos DA Makes Significant Prosecutorial Changes To Further The Fight Against Anti-Black Racism And Implicit Bias In The Justice System -... - October 1st, 2020
- Social Media Use Linked With Depression During Pandemic: Here Are 5 Healthier Ways to Spend Your Time - News18 - October 1st, 2020
- How the Presidential Debates Will Influence the Outcome of the 2020 Election - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - September 30th, 2020
- Singapore urges need for international organisations to 'reform' in digital age - Best gaming pro - September 28th, 2020
- Arwa Salih and the Lost Generation of Egyptian Communism - Jacobin magazine - September 28th, 2020
- A Robot Beats Humans at Their Own GameThis Time on the Ice - The Wall Street Journal - September 24th, 2020
- If Napheesa Collier continues to be the best player on the court, the Lynx have a shot - Duluth News Tribune - September 24th, 2020
- Chess Table Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 24th, 2020
- Siblings able to make the most of their time as students - Harvard Gazette - September 23rd, 2020
- Industrial Wood Coating Market Study Report (2020-2026), Competitive Analysis, Proposal Strategy, Potential Targets, Assessment And Recommendations |... - September 22nd, 2020
- Why fitness and wellbeing really matter in business - London Business School Review - September 22nd, 2020
- Keep your mind active to prevent Alzheimers disease, say doctors - The Hindu - September 22nd, 2020
- TIFF 2020: Seven First-Time Directors Who Stole The Show - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Harry Potter: 5 Things The Films Got Right About Ron (& 5 They Got Wrong) - Screen Rant - September 19th, 2020
- On Chess: Making Connections Through the Game of Chess - St. Louis Public Radio - September 19th, 2020
- DEAR BLACK MAN: Twenty-one Black men pen open letters of encouragement and brotherhood to Black men - The Atlanta Voice - September 19th, 2020
- Chagrin Falls Schools chief pleased with progress in mitigating COVID-19 - cleveland.com - September 19th, 2020
- Massacres in Colombia Lay Bare Next Phase of the Conflict - NACLA - September 19th, 2020
- Ravens film study: What seven plays could tell us about the 2020 season - Baltimore Sun - September 16th, 2020