Written by Marilyn Bowden on October 6, 2020
The Underline, a linear urban park stretching under the Metrorail tracks from the Miami River to Dadeland South Station, reaches a major milestone Oct. 19 with the a pre-opening celebration of the completion of Brickell Backyard, the projects first, most challenging sector.
Due to safety concerns imposed by Covid-19, the celebration will be an invitation-only event, hosted by Miami-Dade County and bringing together people who have been involved in the project over its five years of development, said Meg Daly, president and CEO of Friends of the Underline, which oversees the undertaking via a public-private partnership with the countys departments of Transportation & Public Works and Parks, Recreation & Open Spaces. A public opening is planned as soon as feasible, she said perhaps in early November.
Covid delays are not helping at all, Ms. Daly said. But I think our timing is good. People are valuing the outdoors now, and theres renewed interest in walking and biking. Cities are built for cars, and that can be dangerous for cyclists. The Underline is being built to highest safety standards, and we hope people will get back to walking and biking.
Running half a mile from the Miami River to Southwest 13th Street, Brickell Backyard is the shortest of the Underlines three phases, but its high density and other factors make it the most difficult, said Irene Hegedus, chief of transportation enhancements for the countys Department of Transportation & Public Works.
The first half mile also integrates bus spaces and trolleys, she said. We did a study of sun exposure to maximize the amount of shade, which will make waiting time much more comfortable.
The first block, from the river to Southwest Seventh, Ms. Hegedus said, will be more contemplative, with river views and an art gallery.
The second block, between Seventh and Eighth streets, will be the most active in terms of sports, she said, with half a basketball court, a soccer court and exercise areas. We had to design to allow trucks to come into the area for maintenance of the Metrorail system, and also include self-sustaining wells for drainage.
Across Eighth Street, Ms. Hegedus said, is a community area that will support such features as a movie screen, a stage for events, a long communal table and a number of square gaming tables for chess and checkers enthusiasts.
New signal lights at intersections along Southwest Seventh timed to work in tandem with existing ones on Southwest Eighth will boost safety for bicyclists, she said.
For planners, Ms. Hegedus said, Brickell Backyard is also serving as a lab for solving issues all along the Underlines 10-mile corridor.
We are trying everything, she said, and seeing how things perform. Were trying to coordinate infrastructure with a heavy rail system while maintaining a park-like environment in an area that is densely populated.
Then there are negotiations with the county and three different municipalities, which may have different departments working on it.
And every funding source has its own restrictions, so from the get-go we set up a system to make sure everything is allocated correctly.
One of biggest challenges, Ms. Daly said, is a stipulation attached to a $22 million grant from the US Department of Transportation that the whole project must be completed in five years a condition that forced planners to restructure the construction schedule from nine phases to three.
Another was personal: Parker Thomson, founder of the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts and Ms. Dalys father and partner in the project in its early stages, died unexpectedly three years ago.
It was heartbreaking for me not only because he was my father, she said, but also because he really helped me navigate the process. He had been through it before, and he had a cool vertical mind. Fortunately we have an incredible board of directors, and they jumped in and got me through a very difficult time.
Supporters hope the Underline will enhance connectivity among the components of the transportation system.
For me, said Alice Bravo, director of the countys Department of Transportation & Public Works, this is the best thing that could ever happen to create greater awareness. The No. 1 thing in marketing public transportation is for people to know that its there and how to use it.
The Underline is a wonderful way to make sure that the users experience is a pleasant one from one end of the corridor to the other. Friends of the Underline will be operating and maintaining the corridor, and we are making sure that we are delivering all the support they need.
- Study finds spread of coronavirus on an airplane is minimal - Yahoo Money - October 24th, 2020
- B2B Telecommunications Market Competitive Insights 2020 : Callstream, Charterhouse Voice and Data, BT Group - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Lockdown Impact On Chess Table Market 2020 | Growth and Demand | Projected By Market Data Analytics - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Forecast to 2025 Published By Leading Research Firm The House of Staunton, ChessSUA - The Think Curiouser - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News by Decresearch - October 23rd, 2020
- 5 Iconic Places Around Campus - The Third Eye - October 23rd, 2020
- Grand master Hikaru challenges Obama to chess match on Twitch - Dexerto - October 23rd, 2020
- Overnight Health Care: Trump says he hopes Supreme Court strikes down ObamaCare | FDA approves remdesivir as COVID-19 treatment | Dems threaten to... - October 23rd, 2020
- 8 Examples of Artificial Intelligence in our Everyday Lives - Edgy Labs - October 23rd, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies | Industry Growth... - October 23rd, 2020
- Review: Invasion from Mars, A War of the Worlds Radio Play by Theatre in the DarkMemories of 1938 - thirdcoastreview.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Sailor Mercury Was The Smartest Senshi Ever (& 5 She Dropped The Ball) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 23rd, 2020
- With a passion for STEM, U of T recipients of the Schulich Leader Scholarships are flying high - News@UofT - October 21st, 2020
- Where Is A Will There Is Brazil Society 2020, Despite The Pandemics - Analysis - Eurasia Review - October 21st, 2020
- 5 Strategies You Can Use to Build an Emotionally Intelligent Team - Entrepreneur - October 21st, 2020
- Chess For Beginners | Study Plan: The Opening - Chess.com - October 19th, 2020
- How to Study Chess | US Chess.org - October 19th, 2020
- Rook, line and sinker - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - October 19th, 2020
- BepiColombo Spacecraft Studies Venus on Its Way to Mercury - Best gaming pro - October 19th, 2020
- Netballer awarded trifecta of top University sports awards - India Education Diary - October 19th, 2020
- Blog: Five cases in which robots are better than man - The Slovak Spectator - October 17th, 2020
- Beating Blitz Will Be Critical in Beating Bucs - Sports Illustrated - October 17th, 2020
- Looking to Get Lost Review: The Heart of Rock n Roll - Wall Street Journal - October 17th, 2020
- Mentally demanding tasks are harder to handle at home - Workplace Insight - October 16th, 2020
- How Many Hours Of Chess Study Does It Take To Be A Grandmaster? - Chess.com - October 16th, 2020
- Things to do in Brownwood and the area - Brownwood Bulletin - October 16th, 2020
- Daddy and 9 Other Reads I Cant Get Out of My Head - Vulture - October 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 implications for brand strategists - Ask Afrika - Bizcommunity.com - October 16th, 2020
- Our Critic on the Best of the 2020 New York Film Festival - Nashville Scene - October 16th, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Competitive Analysis 2020 and Key Players: SRC, Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing, Airbus Defence and Space, etc - re:Jerusalem - October 14th, 2020
- Exploring Iceland's volcanoes and glacier caves - Red Bull Australia - October 14th, 2020
- To Stop an Electoral Coup, Study What Went Wrong in the 2000 Florida Recount - Jacobin magazine - October 14th, 2020
- Cam Newton remains on track to play on Monday, barring the development of symptoms - NBC Sports - NFL - October 11th, 2020
- Carlsen may have shown the way for Virat, Dhoni - Bangalore Mirror - October 11th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Another instructive endgame - Chessbase News - October 9th, 2020
- How to watch the Apple iPhone 12 event on October 13 - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- PocketBook Color review: is color E Ink finally ready? - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- Can't smell stinky fish? It might be in your genes - Nature.com - October 9th, 2020
- BOARD GAMES Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2025 | Asmode Editions, Goliath BV, Hasbro - re:Jerusalem - October 9th, 2020
- Leistikow: The impressive rise of Dane Belton, a versatile chess piece in Iowa's defense - desmoinesregister.com - October 8th, 2020
- Key West Voters To Decide What Happens To Cruises, Revisiting A Study On Hate Groups, 'Critical Thinking' With John Leguizamo - WLRN - October 8th, 2020
- McDonald's set to release new breakfast items in October - Yahoo Money - October 8th, 2020
- Curly the Curling Robot Can Beat the Pros at Their Own Game - Smithsonian Magazine - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Industry Revenue, Key Players, Supply-demand, COVID 19 Investment Feasibility and Forecast to 2026- The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 7th, 2020
- Aspen teachers say they're being made pawns in the pandemic - Aspen Times - October 7th, 2020
- Learn The Fundamental Theorem of Poker - Using Math to Win at Poker - BestUSCasinos.org - October 7th, 2020
- Nektar Therapeutics (NKTR) and the Battle of Fundamentals vs. Technicals - The News Heater - October 7th, 2020
- Ceramic Wash Basin Market COVID 19 Status, Growth Rate by Applications, and Future Forecast 2026- TOTO, AmericanStandard, Roca, HCG, Villeroy Boch -... - October 7th, 2020
- Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market Growth And Status Explored In A New Research Report QY Research, IncLockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - The Daily... - October 7th, 2020
- Meet Chirag Falor, the JEE Advanced topper Rank 1 and Bal Shakti award winner studying at MIT - India Today - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Online: How to Play and Win Chess | Chess Tips & Strategies - Popular Mechanics - October 3rd, 2020
- Curly the Robot Competes With Professional Curling Athletes - Science Times - October 3rd, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Chess Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global B2B Telecommunications Market Research Report 2026 Observational Studies with Top Manufacturers like BT Group, Callstream, Chess, Charterhouse... - October 3rd, 2020
- Jeffrey Aronson: When I Use a Word . . . Planning - The BMJ - The BMJ - October 3rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Fans Hated Sailor Mercury (& 5 They Loved Her) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 3rd, 2020
- Review: Aurora Fox' "Tom Foolery: The Words and Music of Tom Lehrer" - The Know - October 3rd, 2020
- Robot named 'Curly' uses AI to beat one of the world's best curling teams at their own game - The Streetjournal - October 1st, 2020
- Harlem's 67 Orange Bar Cocktails in the Time of Corona - The Daily Beast - October 1st, 2020
- Get to know Grand Haven school board candidates - Grand Haven Tribune - October 1st, 2020
- AI Robot "Curly" Beats the Korean Olympic Silver-Medalist Curling Team - Tech Times - October 1st, 2020
- San Franciscos DA Makes Significant Prosecutorial Changes To Further The Fight Against Anti-Black Racism And Implicit Bias In The Justice System -... - October 1st, 2020
- Social Media Use Linked With Depression During Pandemic: Here Are 5 Healthier Ways to Spend Your Time - News18 - October 1st, 2020
- How the Presidential Debates Will Influence the Outcome of the 2020 Election - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - September 30th, 2020
- Singapore urges need for international organisations to 'reform' in digital age - Best gaming pro - September 28th, 2020
- Arwa Salih and the Lost Generation of Egyptian Communism - Jacobin magazine - September 28th, 2020
- A Robot Beats Humans at Their Own GameThis Time on the Ice - The Wall Street Journal - September 24th, 2020
- If Napheesa Collier continues to be the best player on the court, the Lynx have a shot - Duluth News Tribune - September 24th, 2020
- Chess Table Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 24th, 2020
- Siblings able to make the most of their time as students - Harvard Gazette - September 23rd, 2020
- Industrial Wood Coating Market Study Report (2020-2026), Competitive Analysis, Proposal Strategy, Potential Targets, Assessment And Recommendations |... - September 22nd, 2020
- Why fitness and wellbeing really matter in business - London Business School Review - September 22nd, 2020
- Keep your mind active to prevent Alzheimers disease, say doctors - The Hindu - September 22nd, 2020
- TIFF 2020: Seven First-Time Directors Who Stole The Show - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Harry Potter: 5 Things The Films Got Right About Ron (& 5 They Got Wrong) - Screen Rant - September 19th, 2020
- On Chess: Making Connections Through the Game of Chess - St. Louis Public Radio - September 19th, 2020
- DEAR BLACK MAN: Twenty-one Black men pen open letters of encouragement and brotherhood to Black men - The Atlanta Voice - September 19th, 2020
- Chagrin Falls Schools chief pleased with progress in mitigating COVID-19 - cleveland.com - September 19th, 2020
- Massacres in Colombia Lay Bare Next Phase of the Conflict - NACLA - September 19th, 2020
- Ravens film study: What seven plays could tell us about the 2020 season - Baltimore Sun - September 16th, 2020