Sailor Mercury might be hated by some but she is loved by many more!
Sailor Moon is one of the most influential and popular anime series with multiple, manga, anime, video games and even a live-action series. Fans are enamored with the series memorable story and style. But creator Naoko Takeuchi also produced memorable characters each with their own distinct personalities that resonated with fans.
RELATED: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Sailor Moon
This is especially the case with Ami Mizuno, the smartest and most gentle member of the Sailor Guardians who supports her friends with her impressive IQ and water-based attacks. However, while fans can pinpoint a multitude of their favorite Ami moments, they can also point out times when they weren't particularly happy with the character.
Labeled as the brains of the Sailor Senshi, few can touch Ami when it comes close to brainpower. Students at her school believe that her IQ is 300. And while Ami's smarts have helped out her friends numerous times, her dedication to studying has been obsessive and has even put in her trouble. For this reason, she wouldn't fit in with Team Avatar!
For example, her obsession to beat out the mysterious Mercurius with exam scores in the short, Ami's First Love, causes the appearance of Bannon, a monster who drains her knowledge away from her. And even when the short is concluded, Ami still races off with obsessive desire to beat the mysterious Mercurius when he ties her again. Ami's high standards when it comes to grades may be an observation on the Japanese Education System, but it's painful to watch her this obsessed at times.
Ami is a kind and gentle character who can be found trying to diffuse the quarrels between her friends. These argument diffusions lead to comedic moments, but she also shows off that gentle nature when it comes to saving innocent lives.
In the original anime episode "Believe in Love! Ami, a Kind Hearted Soldier," she saves the life of Hotaru, who although innocent at this point will ultimately host The Dark Messiah. In the aforementioned episode, Sailor Neptune and Pluto want to stop the Dark Messiah by killing Hotaru but are stopped by Ami mid-fight. It's a brave moment for Ami that shows just how committed she is in regards to saving innocent lives.
With brains, kindness, and a variety of special abilities it would seem that nothing is able to shake Sailor Mercury. But every character has their personal kryptonite, and while for some that's a magical weapon, for Ami it seems to be love letters.
Going back to the short "Ami's First Love" when the Sailor Senshi discovers a love letter in her locker, she reacts by getting a rash and screaming. Meanwhile, her friends note how they would love to have the problem of receiving a love letter. It might be embarrassing for Ami, but not the degree in which she gets a rash and screams.
Everyone has their favorite Sailor Guardianand are willing to pull up any facts or examples from manga, anime, film, to prove why their chosen Scout is the best. But how many can boast their chosen Guardian was consistently the favorite Scout in Japan?
RELATED: Sailor Moon: Usagi Tsukino's 5 Greatest Strengths (& Her Weaknesses)
Sailor Mercury has that distinct honor, as in the publication Animage in 1993, she overtook all the other Scouts as well as other anime characters as the fan favorite in polls. The following year she came in second behind Belldandy and dropped out of the top ten by 1996. Despite this, Mercury fans have absolute bragging rights.
While Sailor Mars might be able to engulf enemies in her flames, or Sailor Jupiter is able to shock with lighting based attacks, most of Sailor Mercury's magical attacks are more defense based. They are useful attacks but lack the impact found from her teammates more offensive attacks.
RELATED: 5 Times Sailor Mars Was An Overrated Senshi (& 5 She Was Underrated)
For instance, her Shabon Spray or Double Shabon Spray Freezing were used to create fog and lower visibility or lower temperatures. The attacks might have been helpful but still lacked some excitement compared to her teammates. However, this doesn't mean Mercury was devoid of any offensive attacks.
Sailor Mercury may have been the team's strategist providing defensive cover, but she did receive three powerful offensive attacks that helped make her look even cooler. One was Mercury Aqua Rhapsody, introduced in Act 40 of the Manga, where Ami uses the Mercury Harp to deliver a freezing water blast.
There was Mercury Aqua Mirage, used once in the Ami's First Love short that traps her enemy in a pool of water that bursts and destroys them. And finally, there was Shine Aqua Illusion used many times in the anime where Sailor Mercury spins as a huge tower of water swirls around her before being directed at her enemy.
Ami's dream is to become a doctor, and with her High IQ and stickler nature for studying that dream seems completely in reach. She get's an important opportunity to finally advance in the medical field with a chance to study medicine in Germany.
Instead, she only gets as far as the airport before she thinks of her friends and changes her mind. It might be a reminder of the strong bond between Ami and her team, but it also seemed unnecessary given that it was her dream to be in the medical field, and although sad, her friend supported her decision to go to Germany.
For a show that helped define and evolve the Magical School Girl genre, when it comes to Ami, she seems to prefer a little more science mixed in with her magical abilities. Much of the Sailor team can be seen using weapons and devices that are rooted in magic.
RELATED: The 10 Smartest Scientists In DC Comics (& Their Fields Of Study)
However Ami bucks this trend more being the only one to rely on her computer for help analyzing enemies, before trading that in for special visors that can analyze as well as present them in a virtual reality field. She could access the visor thanks to special earrings, another testament to her technical skills.
Berthier, one of the Sailor Guardian's early encounters from the Spectre Sisters in the anime, gave Sailor Mercury a lot of trouble. Worse, Sailor Mercury failed to have her own comeuppance in a moment that really called for it.
First, Ami winds up transforming into Sailor Mercury in front of Berthier revealing her true identity. Then following up on that revelation, Ami is beaten in a chess game all while Berthier is able to diss her friend Usagi. Instead of using that as fuel to win, Tuxedo Mask comes in order to save the day. It really should have been Ami's moment to score the win.
Sailor Mercury wasn't always the kind and gentle warrior fans are used to seeing. In Act 20 of the live-action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon series, a moment of vulnerability leads to Mercury being hit with dark energy and transforming into her evil alter ego Dark Sailor Mercury.
Normally, fans root against the villains, but Dark Sailor Mercury added a unique edge as well as provided a new layer to the character. It was a great twist on Ami' usual kind and gentle nature. She even got her own cool sword. Coupled with her dark design, it's no wonder fans answered back with a huge number of cosplay tribute videos and fan art.
NEXT: 5 Times Fans Hated Usagi (& 5 They Loved Her)
Next My Hero Academia: 10 Things About Endeavor That Make No Sense
Calvin Carter is a writer based out of the Memphis, Tennessee area. He has worked for a variety of publications, including the Pop Culture site, Population GO where, for several years, he covered news on comic books, anime, television, and video games. He's addicted to keeping up on the latest trends and news in nerdy media. When he's not writing, he's likely playing fighting games, talking about pro-wrestling, or reading martial-arts manga.
- CHESS Tool Helps Spot the Difference in Genome Organization - Technology Networks - October 28th, 2020
- Chess Table Market: Qualitative analysis of the leading players and competitive industry scenario | Acrila, Amop Synergies, Colombo Mobili, Doty &... - October 28th, 2020
- Used Construction Machinery Market by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast To 2026 Mascus USA, Arnold Machinery Company, Foley Inc,... - October 28th, 2020
- Plumbing the Depths of Ethanol Ignorance - The Auto Channel - October 28th, 2020
- Film Study: How the Saints Pass O shapes up against the Panthers zone-heavy Pass D - Canal Street Chronicles - October 28th, 2020
- Study finds spread of coronavirus on an airplane is minimal - Yahoo Money - October 24th, 2020
- B2B Telecommunications Market Competitive Insights 2020 : Callstream, Charterhouse Voice and Data, BT Group - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Lockdown Impact On Chess Table Market 2020 | Growth and Demand | Projected By Market Data Analytics - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Forecast to 2025 Published By Leading Research Firm The House of Staunton, ChessSUA - The Think Curiouser - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News by Decresearch - October 23rd, 2020
- 5 Iconic Places Around Campus - The Third Eye - October 23rd, 2020
- Grand master Hikaru challenges Obama to chess match on Twitch - Dexerto - October 23rd, 2020
- Overnight Health Care: Trump says he hopes Supreme Court strikes down ObamaCare | FDA approves remdesivir as COVID-19 treatment | Dems threaten to... - October 23rd, 2020
- 8 Examples of Artificial Intelligence in our Everyday Lives - Edgy Labs - October 23rd, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies | Industry Growth... - October 23rd, 2020
- Review: Invasion from Mars, A War of the Worlds Radio Play by Theatre in the DarkMemories of 1938 - thirdcoastreview.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Sailor Mercury Was The Smartest Senshi Ever (& 5 She Dropped The Ball) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 23rd, 2020
- With a passion for STEM, U of T recipients of the Schulich Leader Scholarships are flying high - News@UofT - October 21st, 2020
- Where Is A Will There Is Brazil Society 2020, Despite The Pandemics - Analysis - Eurasia Review - October 21st, 2020
- 5 Strategies You Can Use to Build an Emotionally Intelligent Team - Entrepreneur - October 21st, 2020
- Chess For Beginners | Study Plan: The Opening - Chess.com - October 19th, 2020
- How to Study Chess | US Chess.org - October 19th, 2020
- Rook, line and sinker - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - October 19th, 2020
- BepiColombo Spacecraft Studies Venus on Its Way to Mercury - Best gaming pro - October 19th, 2020
- Netballer awarded trifecta of top University sports awards - India Education Diary - October 19th, 2020
- Blog: Five cases in which robots are better than man - The Slovak Spectator - October 17th, 2020
- Beating Blitz Will Be Critical in Beating Bucs - Sports Illustrated - October 17th, 2020
- Looking to Get Lost Review: The Heart of Rock n Roll - Wall Street Journal - October 17th, 2020
- Mentally demanding tasks are harder to handle at home - Workplace Insight - October 16th, 2020
- How Many Hours Of Chess Study Does It Take To Be A Grandmaster? - Chess.com - October 16th, 2020
- Things to do in Brownwood and the area - Brownwood Bulletin - October 16th, 2020
- Daddy and 9 Other Reads I Cant Get Out of My Head - Vulture - October 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 implications for brand strategists - Ask Afrika - Bizcommunity.com - October 16th, 2020
- Our Critic on the Best of the 2020 New York Film Festival - Nashville Scene - October 16th, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Competitive Analysis 2020 and Key Players: SRC, Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing, Airbus Defence and Space, etc - re:Jerusalem - October 14th, 2020
- Exploring Iceland's volcanoes and glacier caves - Red Bull Australia - October 14th, 2020
- To Stop an Electoral Coup, Study What Went Wrong in the 2000 Florida Recount - Jacobin magazine - October 14th, 2020
- Cam Newton remains on track to play on Monday, barring the development of symptoms - NBC Sports - NFL - October 11th, 2020
- Carlsen may have shown the way for Virat, Dhoni - Bangalore Mirror - October 11th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Another instructive endgame - Chessbase News - October 9th, 2020
- How to watch the Apple iPhone 12 event on October 13 - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- PocketBook Color review: is color E Ink finally ready? - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- Can't smell stinky fish? It might be in your genes - Nature.com - October 9th, 2020
- BOARD GAMES Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2025 | Asmode Editions, Goliath BV, Hasbro - re:Jerusalem - October 9th, 2020
- Leistikow: The impressive rise of Dane Belton, a versatile chess piece in Iowa's defense - desmoinesregister.com - October 8th, 2020
- Key West Voters To Decide What Happens To Cruises, Revisiting A Study On Hate Groups, 'Critical Thinking' With John Leguizamo - WLRN - October 8th, 2020
- McDonald's set to release new breakfast items in October - Yahoo Money - October 8th, 2020
- Curly the Curling Robot Can Beat the Pros at Their Own Game - Smithsonian Magazine - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Industry Revenue, Key Players, Supply-demand, COVID 19 Investment Feasibility and Forecast to 2026- The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 7th, 2020
- Aspen teachers say they're being made pawns in the pandemic - Aspen Times - October 7th, 2020
- Learn The Fundamental Theorem of Poker - Using Math to Win at Poker - BestUSCasinos.org - October 7th, 2020
- Nektar Therapeutics (NKTR) and the Battle of Fundamentals vs. Technicals - The News Heater - October 7th, 2020
- Underline going over the top to celebrate its first leg - Miami Today - October 7th, 2020
- Ceramic Wash Basin Market COVID 19 Status, Growth Rate by Applications, and Future Forecast 2026- TOTO, AmericanStandard, Roca, HCG, Villeroy Boch -... - October 7th, 2020
- Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market Growth And Status Explored In A New Research Report QY Research, IncLockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - The Daily... - October 7th, 2020
- Meet Chirag Falor, the JEE Advanced topper Rank 1 and Bal Shakti award winner studying at MIT - India Today - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Online: How to Play and Win Chess | Chess Tips & Strategies - Popular Mechanics - October 3rd, 2020
- Curly the Robot Competes With Professional Curling Athletes - Science Times - October 3rd, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Chess Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global B2B Telecommunications Market Research Report 2026 Observational Studies with Top Manufacturers like BT Group, Callstream, Chess, Charterhouse... - October 3rd, 2020
- Jeffrey Aronson: When I Use a Word . . . Planning - The BMJ - The BMJ - October 3rd, 2020
- Review: Aurora Fox' "Tom Foolery: The Words and Music of Tom Lehrer" - The Know - October 3rd, 2020
- Robot named 'Curly' uses AI to beat one of the world's best curling teams at their own game - The Streetjournal - October 1st, 2020
- Harlem's 67 Orange Bar Cocktails in the Time of Corona - The Daily Beast - October 1st, 2020
- Get to know Grand Haven school board candidates - Grand Haven Tribune - October 1st, 2020
- AI Robot "Curly" Beats the Korean Olympic Silver-Medalist Curling Team - Tech Times - October 1st, 2020
- San Franciscos DA Makes Significant Prosecutorial Changes To Further The Fight Against Anti-Black Racism And Implicit Bias In The Justice System -... - October 1st, 2020
- Social Media Use Linked With Depression During Pandemic: Here Are 5 Healthier Ways to Spend Your Time - News18 - October 1st, 2020
- How the Presidential Debates Will Influence the Outcome of the 2020 Election - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - September 30th, 2020
- Singapore urges need for international organisations to 'reform' in digital age - Best gaming pro - September 28th, 2020
- Arwa Salih and the Lost Generation of Egyptian Communism - Jacobin magazine - September 28th, 2020
- A Robot Beats Humans at Their Own GameThis Time on the Ice - The Wall Street Journal - September 24th, 2020
- If Napheesa Collier continues to be the best player on the court, the Lynx have a shot - Duluth News Tribune - September 24th, 2020
- Chess Table Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 24th, 2020
- Siblings able to make the most of their time as students - Harvard Gazette - September 23rd, 2020
- Industrial Wood Coating Market Study Report (2020-2026), Competitive Analysis, Proposal Strategy, Potential Targets, Assessment And Recommendations |... - September 22nd, 2020
- Why fitness and wellbeing really matter in business - London Business School Review - September 22nd, 2020
- Keep your mind active to prevent Alzheimers disease, say doctors - The Hindu - September 22nd, 2020
- TIFF 2020: Seven First-Time Directors Who Stole The Show - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Harry Potter: 5 Things The Films Got Right About Ron (& 5 They Got Wrong) - Screen Rant - September 19th, 2020