Self-assessment, which I covered last week, is generally an integral part of a personal development plan, now a de rigueur feature of life in universities and elsewhere.
The word plan plainly comes from PLAT, an IndoEuropean root related to three others: PELA, PLETA (an extended form), and, with consonantal shift, PLAK. All of them meant spread out, broad, flat, or smooth.
From PELA we get archipelagoes and the Pelagian islands, which are spread out across the water, as is a floe of ice. The palm of the hand spreads out, as do the leaves of a palm tree. In Greek was a wanderer, one who spreads out, from which we get the planets.
PLAK gives us things that spread out, like a net. The Greek derivative , meaning oblique or slanting, has spawned many English words (Figure 1). The Latin word for kidnapping, catching a child in your net, was plagium. Plagiarism is catching other peoples work in your net. The placenta spreads out in the uterus, from the Greek , a flat plate.
PLAT gives us many flat things (Figure 1). A plane is a flat surface. A carpenters plane flattens rough surfaces. An aeroplane has a flatter base than the more rounded shapes of other types of aircraft, such as dirigibles. A plane is a large spreading tree. Plantains are flat low-growing plants, like Plantago ovata, from which we get ispaghula, a mucilaginous medicine that swells when it contacts water and can be used to treat diarrhoea or as a bulk laxative.
Figure 1: The root of flat, broad, spread-out words, like plan
A plan was originally a sketch or diagram showing the intended or actual layout of a building or geographical area, as a flat projection. It then came to mean any design, physical or by extension mental. Ideally, a plan of a building will be adhered to during construction. But changes often have to be made. You may make plans, but they may not be fulfilled.
Good bridge players know this. You buy the contract. Left-hand opponent leads. Dummy goes down. You plan the play. You decide to draw trumps, but then find that the distribution is unfavourable and you change the plan. Perhaps a cross-ruff will be better; or a squeeze; or an end-play. You always have to be prepared to change your plan as events demand.
Chess players know this too. Perhaps you play e4, thinking of the Giuoco Piano or Ruy Lopez. But after c5 you have to deal with the Sicilian Defence. Or perhaps you play d4, thinking of the Queens Gambit, but find yourself in the hypermodern Nimzo-Indian instead.
This type of flexibility extends to scientific plans. You publish a protocol, but part way through the study you find that some part of it cannot be fulfilled and you have to publish a variation and justify it. When it comes to analysing the data, they may be insufficient to do what you had hoped and your endpoints may have to be modified, vitiating the results.
Yet we expect researchers to undertake annual personal development plans, including self-assessment and details of what they intend to do during the coming year, sometimes to be discussed with someone who hasnt seen them during the previous year. This management technique, ostensibly to support the employee, is often used to exert control, determine promotion, salaries, and accountability, and gain kudos for the institution. A grant-giving body, for instance, may restrict funds to a department that has not assessed its employees. Employees may appreciate the process, without fully realizing its implications. Those who understand what is going on, and find the exercise unhelpful, may have to participate and so game the system, wasting everyones time. If having made your personal development plan you fail to stick to it, you may be criticized, unless you can fully justify the deviations.
The term has also been used ambiguously. In one study, for example, development was taken to mean education of general practitioners. In another it referred to teaching skills; the results suggested that reflection, although not very profound, was encouraged.
Anything that encourages learning and improves knowledge and skills is surely to be welcomed, but it is not clear that personal development plans, in the way that they are currently performed, necessarily do that efficiently, if at all. According to Thomas Kempis, man proposes, but God disposes. As Rabbie Burns reminded us the best-laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley. And, as Siegfried Sassoon once bitterly reminded us (Figure 2), the road to hell is paved with good intentions and plans that go awry.
Jeffrey Aronsonis a clinical pharmacologist, working in the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine in Oxfords Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences. He is also president emeritus of the British Pharmacological Society.
Competing interests:None declared.
The rest is here:
- CHESS Tool Helps Spot the Difference in Genome Organization - Technology Networks - October 28th, 2020
- Chess Table Market: Qualitative analysis of the leading players and competitive industry scenario | Acrila, Amop Synergies, Colombo Mobili, Doty &... - October 28th, 2020
- Used Construction Machinery Market by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast To 2026 Mascus USA, Arnold Machinery Company, Foley Inc,... - October 28th, 2020
- Plumbing the Depths of Ethanol Ignorance - The Auto Channel - October 28th, 2020
- Film Study: How the Saints Pass O shapes up against the Panthers zone-heavy Pass D - Canal Street Chronicles - October 28th, 2020
- Study finds spread of coronavirus on an airplane is minimal - Yahoo Money - October 24th, 2020
- B2B Telecommunications Market Competitive Insights 2020 : Callstream, Charterhouse Voice and Data, BT Group - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Lockdown Impact On Chess Table Market 2020 | Growth and Demand | Projected By Market Data Analytics - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Forecast to 2025 Published By Leading Research Firm The House of Staunton, ChessSUA - The Think Curiouser - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News by Decresearch - October 23rd, 2020
- 5 Iconic Places Around Campus - The Third Eye - October 23rd, 2020
- Grand master Hikaru challenges Obama to chess match on Twitch - Dexerto - October 23rd, 2020
- Overnight Health Care: Trump says he hopes Supreme Court strikes down ObamaCare | FDA approves remdesivir as COVID-19 treatment | Dems threaten to... - October 23rd, 2020
- 8 Examples of Artificial Intelligence in our Everyday Lives - Edgy Labs - October 23rd, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies | Industry Growth... - October 23rd, 2020
- Review: Invasion from Mars, A War of the Worlds Radio Play by Theatre in the DarkMemories of 1938 - thirdcoastreview.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Sailor Mercury Was The Smartest Senshi Ever (& 5 She Dropped The Ball) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 23rd, 2020
- With a passion for STEM, U of T recipients of the Schulich Leader Scholarships are flying high - News@UofT - October 21st, 2020
- Where Is A Will There Is Brazil Society 2020, Despite The Pandemics - Analysis - Eurasia Review - October 21st, 2020
- 5 Strategies You Can Use to Build an Emotionally Intelligent Team - Entrepreneur - October 21st, 2020
- Chess For Beginners | Study Plan: The Opening - Chess.com - October 19th, 2020
- How to Study Chess | US Chess.org - October 19th, 2020
- Rook, line and sinker - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - October 19th, 2020
- BepiColombo Spacecraft Studies Venus on Its Way to Mercury - Best gaming pro - October 19th, 2020
- Netballer awarded trifecta of top University sports awards - India Education Diary - October 19th, 2020
- Blog: Five cases in which robots are better than man - The Slovak Spectator - October 17th, 2020
- Beating Blitz Will Be Critical in Beating Bucs - Sports Illustrated - October 17th, 2020
- Looking to Get Lost Review: The Heart of Rock n Roll - Wall Street Journal - October 17th, 2020
- Mentally demanding tasks are harder to handle at home - Workplace Insight - October 16th, 2020
- How Many Hours Of Chess Study Does It Take To Be A Grandmaster? - Chess.com - October 16th, 2020
- Things to do in Brownwood and the area - Brownwood Bulletin - October 16th, 2020
- Daddy and 9 Other Reads I Cant Get Out of My Head - Vulture - October 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 implications for brand strategists - Ask Afrika - Bizcommunity.com - October 16th, 2020
- Our Critic on the Best of the 2020 New York Film Festival - Nashville Scene - October 16th, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Competitive Analysis 2020 and Key Players: SRC, Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing, Airbus Defence and Space, etc - re:Jerusalem - October 14th, 2020
- Exploring Iceland's volcanoes and glacier caves - Red Bull Australia - October 14th, 2020
- To Stop an Electoral Coup, Study What Went Wrong in the 2000 Florida Recount - Jacobin magazine - October 14th, 2020
- Cam Newton remains on track to play on Monday, barring the development of symptoms - NBC Sports - NFL - October 11th, 2020
- Carlsen may have shown the way for Virat, Dhoni - Bangalore Mirror - October 11th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Another instructive endgame - Chessbase News - October 9th, 2020
- How to watch the Apple iPhone 12 event on October 13 - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- PocketBook Color review: is color E Ink finally ready? - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- Can't smell stinky fish? It might be in your genes - Nature.com - October 9th, 2020
- BOARD GAMES Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2025 | Asmode Editions, Goliath BV, Hasbro - re:Jerusalem - October 9th, 2020
- Leistikow: The impressive rise of Dane Belton, a versatile chess piece in Iowa's defense - desmoinesregister.com - October 8th, 2020
- Key West Voters To Decide What Happens To Cruises, Revisiting A Study On Hate Groups, 'Critical Thinking' With John Leguizamo - WLRN - October 8th, 2020
- McDonald's set to release new breakfast items in October - Yahoo Money - October 8th, 2020
- Curly the Curling Robot Can Beat the Pros at Their Own Game - Smithsonian Magazine - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Industry Revenue, Key Players, Supply-demand, COVID 19 Investment Feasibility and Forecast to 2026- The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 7th, 2020
- Aspen teachers say they're being made pawns in the pandemic - Aspen Times - October 7th, 2020
- Learn The Fundamental Theorem of Poker - Using Math to Win at Poker - BestUSCasinos.org - October 7th, 2020
- Nektar Therapeutics (NKTR) and the Battle of Fundamentals vs. Technicals - The News Heater - October 7th, 2020
- Underline going over the top to celebrate its first leg - Miami Today - October 7th, 2020
- Ceramic Wash Basin Market COVID 19 Status, Growth Rate by Applications, and Future Forecast 2026- TOTO, AmericanStandard, Roca, HCG, Villeroy Boch -... - October 7th, 2020
- Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market Growth And Status Explored In A New Research Report QY Research, IncLockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - The Daily... - October 7th, 2020
- Meet Chirag Falor, the JEE Advanced topper Rank 1 and Bal Shakti award winner studying at MIT - India Today - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Online: How to Play and Win Chess | Chess Tips & Strategies - Popular Mechanics - October 3rd, 2020
- Curly the Robot Competes With Professional Curling Athletes - Science Times - October 3rd, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Chess Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global B2B Telecommunications Market Research Report 2026 Observational Studies with Top Manufacturers like BT Group, Callstream, Chess, Charterhouse... - October 3rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Fans Hated Sailor Mercury (& 5 They Loved Her) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 3rd, 2020
- Review: Aurora Fox' "Tom Foolery: The Words and Music of Tom Lehrer" - The Know - October 3rd, 2020
- Robot named 'Curly' uses AI to beat one of the world's best curling teams at their own game - The Streetjournal - October 1st, 2020
- Harlem's 67 Orange Bar Cocktails in the Time of Corona - The Daily Beast - October 1st, 2020
- Get to know Grand Haven school board candidates - Grand Haven Tribune - October 1st, 2020
- AI Robot "Curly" Beats the Korean Olympic Silver-Medalist Curling Team - Tech Times - October 1st, 2020
- San Franciscos DA Makes Significant Prosecutorial Changes To Further The Fight Against Anti-Black Racism And Implicit Bias In The Justice System -... - October 1st, 2020
- Social Media Use Linked With Depression During Pandemic: Here Are 5 Healthier Ways to Spend Your Time - News18 - October 1st, 2020
- How the Presidential Debates Will Influence the Outcome of the 2020 Election - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - September 30th, 2020
- Singapore urges need for international organisations to 'reform' in digital age - Best gaming pro - September 28th, 2020
- Arwa Salih and the Lost Generation of Egyptian Communism - Jacobin magazine - September 28th, 2020
- A Robot Beats Humans at Their Own GameThis Time on the Ice - The Wall Street Journal - September 24th, 2020
- If Napheesa Collier continues to be the best player on the court, the Lynx have a shot - Duluth News Tribune - September 24th, 2020
- Chess Table Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 24th, 2020
- Siblings able to make the most of their time as students - Harvard Gazette - September 23rd, 2020
- Industrial Wood Coating Market Study Report (2020-2026), Competitive Analysis, Proposal Strategy, Potential Targets, Assessment And Recommendations |... - September 22nd, 2020
- Why fitness and wellbeing really matter in business - London Business School Review - September 22nd, 2020
- Keep your mind active to prevent Alzheimers disease, say doctors - The Hindu - September 22nd, 2020
- TIFF 2020: Seven First-Time Directors Who Stole The Show - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Harry Potter: 5 Things The Films Got Right About Ron (& 5 They Got Wrong) - Screen Rant - September 19th, 2020