An artificial intelligence-equipped robot named Curly beat one of the worlds best curling teams by quickly adapting to changes in the ice, its developers claim.
Curling is a sport in which players slide stones on a sheet of ice towards a circular target, with the aim of the stones come to a rest as close to the centre as possible.
The sport involves constantly changing and uncontrollable environmental conditions providing the perfect test bed for an AI-driven robot.
Curly throws the stone but doesnt do the job ofbrushing away loose ice in front of the stone as it moves, known as sweeping.
The robot won three out of four official matches against the Korean Olympic silver-medal winning womens team.
It was developed by researchers from Korea University, who said this development narrows the gap between computer simulators and the real world.
Its hoped the deep learning techniques developed for Curly could be applied to other robots that need to work in the real world and adapt to changing conditions.
Curly, who delivers the stone but doesnt sweep, won three out of four official matches against the Korean Olympic silver-medal winning womens team and also beat the wheelchair curling reserve team
An artificial intelligence equipped robot named Curly beat one of the worlds best curling teams by adapting to changes in the ice, its developers claim. It is able to scan the ice and the playing field, analyse the results and adapt its next throw
One of the worlds oldest sports, curling originated in the 16th century in Scotland, where games were played during winter on frozen ponds and lochs.
Curly brings the sport firmly into the 21st century and it is all thanks to an artificial intelligence system in its brain, built by Dr Dong-Ok Won a brain engineer.
The researchers used a technique called deep reinforcement learning (DRL) that is based on trial and error to enable Curly to compensate for uncertainties in the game.
Artificial intelligence-driven machines have already beat world champions at games like Chess and Go; this brings the machine competitors into the world of physical sports.
Prof Won said: Curling has been described as a combination of bowling and chess. It is a turn-based game in which two teams play alternately on the ice sheet, requiring a high level of strategic thinking and performance.
The AI works by capturing information about changing conditions on the ice sheet through the robots mistakes in previous throws.
The system meant Curly only needed to complete a couple of calibration moves beforehand to detect changes in the ice.
The game of curling can be considered a good test bed for studying the interaction between AI and the real world, said Won.
In curling, the environmental characteristics change at every moment, and every throw has an impact on the outcome of the match.
Furthermore, there is no time for relearning during a curling match due to the timing rules of the game.
The robot was developed by researchers from Korea University, who said this development narrows the gap between computer simulators and the real world
Here, we report a curling robot that can achieve human-level performance in the game of curling using an adaptive DRL framework.
Curling became popular in South Korea when it hosted the 2018 Winter Olympics, with its womens team known as the Garlic Girls winning the silver medal.
The three-wheeled Curly robot has now beaten those same silver-winning players.
The study, published in the journal Science Robotics, closes a phenomenon dubbed the sim-to-real gap where robots that perform well in simulations fail in the unpredictable and difficult-to-model conditions of the real world.
Applying AI technologies to the real world is a challenging problem, said Won.
Artificial intelligence driven machines have already beat world champions at games like Chess and Go this brings the machine competitors into the real world
The AI worked by capturing information about changing conditions on the ice sheet through the robots mistakes in previous throws
Operating beyond the confines of a laboratory means dealing with unknown factors, such as an environment that varies over time, that can have an effect on the performance of an AI system.
Moreover, the real world offers many uncertainties which may be too complex and ill-defined to be modelled with sufficient accuracy.
So its necessary to incorporate uncertainty into modelling efforts and to measure and approximate changes in real-world environments.
The method is also transferable to a range of other complex applications, said the researchers, including having robots solve tasks on a human level.
The findings have beenpublished in the journal Science Robotics.
Physical jobs in predictable environments, including machine-operators and fast-food workers, are the most likely to be replaced by robots.
Management consultancy firm McKinsey, based in New York, focused on the amount of jobs that would be lost to automation, and what professions were most at risk.
The report said collecting and processing data are two other categories of activities that increasingly can be done better and faster with machines.
This could displace large amounts of labour for instance, in mortgages, paralegal work, accounting, and back-office transaction processing.
Conversely, jobs in unpredictable environments are least are risk.
The report added: Occupations such as gardeners, plumbers, or providers of child- and eldercare will also generally see less automation by 2030, because they are technically difficult to automate and often command relatively lower wages, which makes automation a less attractive business proposition.
View original post here:
- CHESS Tool Helps Spot the Difference in Genome Organization - Technology Networks - October 28th, 2020
- Chess Table Market: Qualitative analysis of the leading players and competitive industry scenario | Acrila, Amop Synergies, Colombo Mobili, Doty &... - October 28th, 2020
- Used Construction Machinery Market by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast To 2026 Mascus USA, Arnold Machinery Company, Foley Inc,... - October 28th, 2020
- Plumbing the Depths of Ethanol Ignorance - The Auto Channel - October 28th, 2020
- Film Study: How the Saints Pass O shapes up against the Panthers zone-heavy Pass D - Canal Street Chronicles - October 28th, 2020
- Study finds spread of coronavirus on an airplane is minimal - Yahoo Money - October 24th, 2020
- B2B Telecommunications Market Competitive Insights 2020 : Callstream, Charterhouse Voice and Data, BT Group - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Lockdown Impact On Chess Table Market 2020 | Growth and Demand | Projected By Market Data Analytics - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Forecast to 2025 Published By Leading Research Firm The House of Staunton, ChessSUA - The Think Curiouser - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News by Decresearch - October 23rd, 2020
- 5 Iconic Places Around Campus - The Third Eye - October 23rd, 2020
- Grand master Hikaru challenges Obama to chess match on Twitch - Dexerto - October 23rd, 2020
- Overnight Health Care: Trump says he hopes Supreme Court strikes down ObamaCare | FDA approves remdesivir as COVID-19 treatment | Dems threaten to... - October 23rd, 2020
- 8 Examples of Artificial Intelligence in our Everyday Lives - Edgy Labs - October 23rd, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies | Industry Growth... - October 23rd, 2020
- Review: Invasion from Mars, A War of the Worlds Radio Play by Theatre in the DarkMemories of 1938 - thirdcoastreview.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Sailor Mercury Was The Smartest Senshi Ever (& 5 She Dropped The Ball) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 23rd, 2020
- With a passion for STEM, U of T recipients of the Schulich Leader Scholarships are flying high - News@UofT - October 21st, 2020
- Where Is A Will There Is Brazil Society 2020, Despite The Pandemics - Analysis - Eurasia Review - October 21st, 2020
- 5 Strategies You Can Use to Build an Emotionally Intelligent Team - Entrepreneur - October 21st, 2020
- Chess For Beginners | Study Plan: The Opening - Chess.com - October 19th, 2020
- How to Study Chess | US Chess.org - October 19th, 2020
- Rook, line and sinker - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - October 19th, 2020
- BepiColombo Spacecraft Studies Venus on Its Way to Mercury - Best gaming pro - October 19th, 2020
- Netballer awarded trifecta of top University sports awards - India Education Diary - October 19th, 2020
- Blog: Five cases in which robots are better than man - The Slovak Spectator - October 17th, 2020
- Beating Blitz Will Be Critical in Beating Bucs - Sports Illustrated - October 17th, 2020
- Looking to Get Lost Review: The Heart of Rock n Roll - Wall Street Journal - October 17th, 2020
- Mentally demanding tasks are harder to handle at home - Workplace Insight - October 16th, 2020
- How Many Hours Of Chess Study Does It Take To Be A Grandmaster? - Chess.com - October 16th, 2020
- Things to do in Brownwood and the area - Brownwood Bulletin - October 16th, 2020
- Daddy and 9 Other Reads I Cant Get Out of My Head - Vulture - October 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 implications for brand strategists - Ask Afrika - Bizcommunity.com - October 16th, 2020
- Our Critic on the Best of the 2020 New York Film Festival - Nashville Scene - October 16th, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Competitive Analysis 2020 and Key Players: SRC, Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing, Airbus Defence and Space, etc - re:Jerusalem - October 14th, 2020
- Exploring Iceland's volcanoes and glacier caves - Red Bull Australia - October 14th, 2020
- To Stop an Electoral Coup, Study What Went Wrong in the 2000 Florida Recount - Jacobin magazine - October 14th, 2020
- Cam Newton remains on track to play on Monday, barring the development of symptoms - NBC Sports - NFL - October 11th, 2020
- Carlsen may have shown the way for Virat, Dhoni - Bangalore Mirror - October 11th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Another instructive endgame - Chessbase News - October 9th, 2020
- How to watch the Apple iPhone 12 event on October 13 - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- PocketBook Color review: is color E Ink finally ready? - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- Can't smell stinky fish? It might be in your genes - Nature.com - October 9th, 2020
- BOARD GAMES Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2025 | Asmode Editions, Goliath BV, Hasbro - re:Jerusalem - October 9th, 2020
- Leistikow: The impressive rise of Dane Belton, a versatile chess piece in Iowa's defense - desmoinesregister.com - October 8th, 2020
- Key West Voters To Decide What Happens To Cruises, Revisiting A Study On Hate Groups, 'Critical Thinking' With John Leguizamo - WLRN - October 8th, 2020
- McDonald's set to release new breakfast items in October - Yahoo Money - October 8th, 2020
- Curly the Curling Robot Can Beat the Pros at Their Own Game - Smithsonian Magazine - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Industry Revenue, Key Players, Supply-demand, COVID 19 Investment Feasibility and Forecast to 2026- The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 7th, 2020
- Aspen teachers say they're being made pawns in the pandemic - Aspen Times - October 7th, 2020
- Learn The Fundamental Theorem of Poker - Using Math to Win at Poker - BestUSCasinos.org - October 7th, 2020
- Nektar Therapeutics (NKTR) and the Battle of Fundamentals vs. Technicals - The News Heater - October 7th, 2020
- Underline going over the top to celebrate its first leg - Miami Today - October 7th, 2020
- Ceramic Wash Basin Market COVID 19 Status, Growth Rate by Applications, and Future Forecast 2026- TOTO, AmericanStandard, Roca, HCG, Villeroy Boch -... - October 7th, 2020
- Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market Growth And Status Explored In A New Research Report QY Research, IncLockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - The Daily... - October 7th, 2020
- Meet Chirag Falor, the JEE Advanced topper Rank 1 and Bal Shakti award winner studying at MIT - India Today - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Online: How to Play and Win Chess | Chess Tips & Strategies - Popular Mechanics - October 3rd, 2020
- Curly the Robot Competes With Professional Curling Athletes - Science Times - October 3rd, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Chess Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global B2B Telecommunications Market Research Report 2026 Observational Studies with Top Manufacturers like BT Group, Callstream, Chess, Charterhouse... - October 3rd, 2020
- Jeffrey Aronson: When I Use a Word . . . Planning - The BMJ - The BMJ - October 3rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Fans Hated Sailor Mercury (& 5 They Loved Her) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 3rd, 2020
- Review: Aurora Fox' "Tom Foolery: The Words and Music of Tom Lehrer" - The Know - October 3rd, 2020
- Harlem's 67 Orange Bar Cocktails in the Time of Corona - The Daily Beast - October 1st, 2020
- Get to know Grand Haven school board candidates - Grand Haven Tribune - October 1st, 2020
- AI Robot "Curly" Beats the Korean Olympic Silver-Medalist Curling Team - Tech Times - October 1st, 2020
- San Franciscos DA Makes Significant Prosecutorial Changes To Further The Fight Against Anti-Black Racism And Implicit Bias In The Justice System -... - October 1st, 2020
- Social Media Use Linked With Depression During Pandemic: Here Are 5 Healthier Ways to Spend Your Time - News18 - October 1st, 2020
- How the Presidential Debates Will Influence the Outcome of the 2020 Election - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - September 30th, 2020
- Singapore urges need for international organisations to 'reform' in digital age - Best gaming pro - September 28th, 2020
- Arwa Salih and the Lost Generation of Egyptian Communism - Jacobin magazine - September 28th, 2020
- A Robot Beats Humans at Their Own GameThis Time on the Ice - The Wall Street Journal - September 24th, 2020
- If Napheesa Collier continues to be the best player on the court, the Lynx have a shot - Duluth News Tribune - September 24th, 2020
- Chess Table Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 24th, 2020
- Siblings able to make the most of their time as students - Harvard Gazette - September 23rd, 2020
- Industrial Wood Coating Market Study Report (2020-2026), Competitive Analysis, Proposal Strategy, Potential Targets, Assessment And Recommendations |... - September 22nd, 2020
- Why fitness and wellbeing really matter in business - London Business School Review - September 22nd, 2020
- Keep your mind active to prevent Alzheimers disease, say doctors - The Hindu - September 22nd, 2020
- TIFF 2020: Seven First-Time Directors Who Stole The Show - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Harry Potter: 5 Things The Films Got Right About Ron (& 5 They Got Wrong) - Screen Rant - September 19th, 2020