The New England Patriots have fallen to 1-1 after losing a Sunday Night thriller against the Seattle Seahawks. If there are such things as good losses, that was one of them. New England got behind and was forced to open up its offense, which was a concern after passing the ball just 19 times in Week 1. Cam Newton looked excellent, and healthy, throwing the football and showed strong connections with Julian Edelman, NKeal Harry, and others.
Down 12 points with four minutes remaining, the Patriots were able to put together two impressive drives and give themselves a chance to win the game at the end. The final play has been under scrutiny, but I believe it was the correct call. As Bill Belichick said after the game, they called their best play in order to win the game. Up until that point this year, that play had a *checks notes* 100 percent success rate, not bad. It was a good call that just wasn't executed all that well, largely part to the Seattle defense.
So, we now turn the page to the 2-0 Las Vegas Raiders who looked extremely good in their win over the New Orleans Saints on Monday Night.
With that, well dive into this weeks questions, where it seems many of you are looking for wide receiver and linebacker help in Foxboro:
@MichaelDiCo95 Who might get released when Damien Harris and Gunner come off IR??
I doubt they release someone, but a few cases of the infamous Foxboro Flu wouldn't surprise me. Looking at the snap counts and inactive lists through two weeks, moving quarterback Jarrett Stidham to injured reserve to create a roster spot shouldn't come as a surprise. Stidham has been inactive both weeks after losing the backup job to veteran Brian Hoyer, and with the new IR rules, if Newton or Hoyer were to get injured, Stidham could come back in just three weeks.
Another positional group to watch is the offensive line. Tackle Korey Cunningham has been inactive both weeks while guard Hjalte Froholdt has been active but hasn't played a snap outside of special teams.
@patriotsfeeder What does this team need more a No 1 WR or an elite pass rusher?
In my mind, linebacker is more of a need than those two positions. It was worrisome seeing JaWhaun Bentley in space during the Seattle game. So what linebacker? Lets keep reading...
@BostonWest80111 WR or LB help on the way? If theyre going to rely on Bentley to drop into coverage vs. RBs then they're in big trouble. This guy is slow with a capital S! #PostPulpit
A lot of questions this week to see if help is on the way, specifically at wide receiver and linebacker:
You get the point. To answer the question, I believe the Patriots are going to do something to address their linebacker depth and the answer is already on their roster. New England picked linebacker Josh Uche in the second round of this years draft but he was a healthy scratch in Week 1 before an ankle injury forced him to sit out Week 2 as well.
Uche is a strong athlete at the linebacker position with tons of versatility. Hes quick enough to drop into coverage and explosive enough to win battles off the edge. He won't be an every down linebacker right out of the gate but hell be an interesting chess piece Belichick will soon be able to use to his disposal. He has a real chance to carve out a big role in New Englands defense once fully healthy and adapted to the system.
If New England is looking for just more pure speed at the position, rookie Cassh Maluia could be in line for more snaps. The sixth-round pick out of Wyoming ran a 4.53 40-yard dash at his pro day and was known for his speed and agility in college.
@MDunn_33 #PostPulpit Where is Josh Uche? After seeing Bentley struggle a little bit, wouldn't Uches speed be a much needed asset for our evolving defense?
Matt, I like the way your brain thinks. Hopefully, Uches ankle injury heals up quick here so he can get out on the field.
@UnfilteredPats Is it time to get Cam a true WR/TE? Asiasi is not getting snaps, Keene IR. Harry is coming along but Idk if they are choosing not to throw deep to him or dont trust him yet, same for Byrd.
On to pass catchers. I thought the Patriots wide receivers played extremely well Sunday night. It was promising to see Newton connect over and over again with Edelman, as well as NKeal Harry and Damiere Byrd. Newton threw for 397 yards, so the receivers had to be doing something right.
As Newton said on WEEIs The Greg Hill Show Tuesday, the answer at wide receiver is already in the locker room. He has confidence in the group that is here and his development with them through just two weeks is a strong sight. Now, if New England has a chance to upgrade its roster at the position the team certainly would at the right price. But perhaps what they have now is actually enough.
Also, the addition of Gunner Olszweski off the IR shortly could be the small piece this group needs. If he carries over his strong play from training camp into the season, Gunner could be a valuable piece just to help take some of the pressure off of guys like Edelman.
@iNascari Do you think Kyle Dugger will earn a bigger role on defense in the coming weeks? He played a good bit against Seattle and had some big moments, like when he bulldozed Hawks guard Damien Lewis to get into the backfield. #PostPulpit
More Kyle Dugger you say?
Dugger saw his snaps increase from 11 to 34 (18 to 54 percent) from Week 1 to 2. In his 34 snaps Sunday night, he was the Patriots fourth best rated defender according to Pro Football Focus. He made a few really noticeable plays blowing up offensive lineman, showing off his physicality.
I really like how they've been using Dugger, playing close to the line of scrimmage and even blitzing him a fair amount. Hes been strong in the run game and was matched up with Greg Olsen for a large part of Sunday Nights game. With a tough stretch of matchups against tight ends going forward (Darren Waller, Travis Kelce, Noah Fant, George Kittle), Dugger could be, and should be, leaned on heavily here the next few weeks.
Also, he returned the first kickoff of his career on Sunday but that was it. Let the man return everything.
@_fega_ Who is going to be the face of the #Patriots D in the next 3-5 years? (My money is on Dugger and Winovich)
This was a question I debated with myself awhile over. I like Dugger and Winovich while also considered J.C. Jackson as he could soon be the No. 1 cornerback this defense is always built around. However, looking at pasts Patriot teams, specifically championship teams, its the linebackers who I would deem the face of the defense. Guys like Tedy Bruschi in the early years of the dynasty or Donta Hightower as of late. With that in mind, Ill take a chance with the linebacker they drafted this year, Josh Uche.
Uche is a slightly different player than Bruschi and Hightower, but he easily could be the guy wearing the green dot and leading the defense in three to five years unless Bentley impresses the team enough to keep that role.
@doc110723 Hows Harris?
All has been quiet on Damien Harris since he landed on injured reserve with a finger injury that required surgery. I guess well say no news is good news. He is eligible to come off IR after this week.
@TheHorntail Got 3 scat back types in White, Burkhead, and Taylor. That means were going to be relying on Michel/Harris to be bell cows. Michel does not look great. Is this what he is, or does he get better further removed from surgery? Any updates/thoughts on Harris? #PostPulpit
Unfortunately I think this is what Sony Michel is. Ive held out as much hope as possible for him but Im slowly losing it every week as I watch him run for three yards over and over again. Even though Rex Burkhead struggled running the ball against Seattle, he has been the Patriots best back on the ground. Im all for giving him, James White, and J.J. Taylor the touches going forward as they can sort of do it all.
As for Harris, well see his status after this week. If he runs as well as he apparently was over the summer, hell have a chance to contribute immediately and could quickly become the featured back on the ground. Running backs coach Ivan Fears said during training camp that hes a pretty exciting player and I am ready to watch.
@sean_gphoto 1 player to trade away and 1 to acquire
I will trade away Sony Michel and acquire Zach Ertz. Heck, lets just trade Sony Michel for Zach Ertz. I'll even sweeten the pot with a draft pick or swap if needed. The Eagles were apparently ready to take Michel the pick after the Patriots back in the 2018 draft and were rumored to be looking for a back to pair with Miles Sanders this offseason. Perhaps Michel, who is still just 25 years old, could rejuvenate his career in Philadelphia.
As for Ertz, he has made it clear he wants a new contract. He has also made it clear he wants to stay in Philadelphia but has voiced frustration as he doesn't know for sure if the feeling is mutual. With the Eagles sitting at 0-2 and looking below average offensively, perhaps a blowup is coming. New England can certainly pay Ertz his current contract (below) plus the raise he deserves. He would also provide a major boost/weapon to their offense.
@Jduham How many 1st round picks can the Pats trade Michel to SF for? 10?
10? Id take one, or Zach Ertz, in a heartbeat and call it a robbery. Perhaps with an assortment of running backs going down last weekend teams will start calling for a young, cost-controlled back.
@GilletteLot15 Is cam Better than mahomes and Russel if he gets over the line?
No, Cam is not better than Patrick Mahomes and Russell Wilson. But Mahomes and Wilson are the best two quarterbacks in the league. Newton has been awesome so far this year and has blown away everyones expectations, but Mahomes and Wilson are still the cream of the crop.
@eghirarduzzi Through 2 games who's better off post divorce, Bill or Brady ?
A little drama to end this weeks mailbag. Through two weeks, I'd say Bill Belichick has been better off post-divorce. He was able to bring in a former MVP for the veteran minimum and redesign this offense to suit his strengths. And if the past two weeks are just a preview, this offense will be extremely fun, and competitive, going forward. Is it also fair to say Cam Newton has done a better job with basically the same group of receivers than Brady did?
As for Tompa Bay, the Buccaneers did not look ready in their Week 1 loss to New Orleans. They had a bunch of small mistakes and stupid turnovers that cost them the game, something a Belichick-coached team rarely does. Brady and the Bucs looked better in Week 2, but allowed the Carolina Panthers back into a game they were down 21-0. Its just been two weeks, but I'd give the advantage to Belichick.
That is all for this weeks #PostPulpit mailbag. If you have questions youd liked to be answered next week, submit them on Twitter using #PostPulpit! Make sure to be following @iambrianhines and @PatsPulpit as well!
Read the rest here:
- With a game built to thrive in today's NHL, Matt Grzelcyk can (& should) deliver in top-pairing role for Bruins - bostonsportsjournal.com - October 21st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Star Anya Taylor-Joy on Making Chess Riveting TV - TV Insider - October 21st, 2020
- Task Force Illini creates Mobile Training Team to prepare Ukrainian rotational units - United States Army - October 21st, 2020
- Mozart of psychology': How Lev Vygotsky helped shape modern thinking - Russia Beyond - October 21st, 2020
- Chinese kids are giving it all to succeed - The Herald - October 17th, 2020
- Drive Poll - Would The NFL Pause Season To Fight COVID-19? - 929theticket.com - October 16th, 2020
- Arlington Community Education announces upcoming classes - Fall River Herald News - October 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 Transforms Education, Health And Fitness Delivery Services, Opens Doors For IT-Like Growth Trajectory - Swarajya - October 16th, 2020
- Pushed beyond their limit - The Star Online - October 14th, 2020
- Wausau mayor Katie Rosenberg emerges as a new voice in Wis. progressive politics - OnMilwaukee.com - October 8th, 2020
- AdvanceClub Launches to Inspire and Advance Esports Gamers of All Skill Levels - GlobeNewswire - October 8th, 2020
- How can the 49ers Clean up Their Offensive Line Woes? - Sports Illustrated - October 7th, 2020
- In cancelling GLOW, Netflix deals a body blow to representation - Forward - October 7th, 2020
- The strange flexibility of boundaries: population and other limits in strategy games - Gamasutra - October 7th, 2020
- Trump testing positive for Covid-19 means the president's health is in danger, not U.S. security - NBC News - October 7th, 2020
- Visually impaired chess champion Soundarya Pradhan teaching the game online during lockdown - The Bridge - October 3rd, 2020
- Surrounded by sea and sky: the irresistible draw of islands - Spectator.co.uk - October 1st, 2020
- NATO Air Defense Forces Integrate in the Baltics - United States Army - September 29th, 2020
- 13 L/stone pupils enlisted for Chess24 The Mast Online - themastonline.com - September 26th, 2020
- Dominick Reyes ready to 'right what was wrong' in controversial Jones loss with 'life changing' second chance at UFC 253 - Brinkwire - September 26th, 2020
- In 'The Zoom Where it Happens,' Adia Barnes learned tips that could make Wildcats a hoops hit - Arizona Daily Star - September 24th, 2020
- 49ers well-positioned to withstand Raheem Mostert, Tevin Coleman injuries - Yahoo Sports - September 23rd, 2020
- PH bets will have mountain to climb in Vietnam SEA Games - Tempo - September 23rd, 2020
- Microsoft Scores Exclusive License to the Much-Hyped GPT-3 Language Model - Voicebot.ai - September 23rd, 2020
- Judy Kuhn - The Seth Concert Series | Review - London Theatre 1 - September 22nd, 2020
- Late night preparations behind Indian Grandmaster P Iniyans World Open glory - The New Indian Express - September 19th, 2020
- Non-contact sports return as resumption of sports calendar is released - Kenya Broadcasting Corporation - September 19th, 2020
- DMU at 150: The 10 oddest things in the DMU archives - De Montfort University - September 19th, 2020
- What is CBM? Here's the answer! - Chessbase News - September 16th, 2020
- Are ozeki Asanoyama's struggles all in his head? - The Japan Times - September 16th, 2020
- Canada's long-term foreign policy intentions need a clearer narrative - Policy Options - September 16th, 2020
- When to Give Legal Rights to AIs? When They Can Dream - JD Supra - September 16th, 2020
- Toby Chess: 40-Plus Years of Service to the Industry He Loves - Autobody News - September 15th, 2020
- Pokemon Go Meets Game Of Thrones: The Playstyle Of The Main Characters - Screen Rant - September 15th, 2020
- Babe Laufenberg says Mike McCarthy will face a unique challenge with the Cowboys that he didnt in Green Bay - The Dallas Morning News - September 13th, 2020
- Spera: The Saints in the Superdome without fans will be weird, but still worth watching - NOLA.com - September 13th, 2020
- 49ers vs. Cardinals preview: What to expect when the 49ers are on defense against the Cardinals - Niners Nation - September 12th, 2020
- Will Robert Quinn be a rotational player in Week One for Chicago Bears? - Bear Goggles On - September 11th, 2020
- Update on the latest sports - KESQ - September 11th, 2020
- The Bay Area has a thrilling new Instagram pastry scene. Here are three to try - San Francisco Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- No Danielle Hunter has the Packers breathing a sigh of relief - Acme Packing Company - September 11th, 2020
- Dwayne Haskins loves a challenge. His second season with Washington will be one. - Washington Times - September 11th, 2020
- What to expect when the 49ers have the ball against the Cardinals defense - MSN Money - September 11th, 2020
- What's the worst Bradford City kit of all time? - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - September 9th, 2020
- Ancient boardgames: Experts find the missing piece (but can't figure out how to play) - Middle East Eye - September 9th, 2020
- The Cardinals believe they can unleash Kliff Kingsburys offense in 2020 - Arizona Sports - September 9th, 2020
- The Minnesota Vikings are Banking on Continuity and Experience to Improve the Offensive Line - Zone Coverage - September 9th, 2020
- In a season of uncertainty, Bill Belichick says he will play the backup quarterback position by ear - The Boston Globe - September 9th, 2020
- Player-by-player breakdown of the Patriots full 69-man roster - 98.5 The Sports Hub - September 8th, 2020
- Competitive Chess and Advanced Math Training this FALL - ONLINE! - Ridgewood, NJ - patch.com - September 7th, 2020
- Benefits of education - The News International - September 7th, 2020
- Room with a view: US Open seeds get taste of the suite life - NBC Sports - Misc. - September 5th, 2020
- Competitive Chess and Advanced Math Training this FALL - ONLINE! - Patch.com - September 5th, 2020
- Teachers Day 2020: Heres a look at the best teachers of Indian Sports - The Bridge - September 5th, 2020
- Jordan Reed, Trent Williams and 49ers' missing pieces get rave reviews - Yahoo Sports - September 5th, 2020
- Room with a view: US Open seeds get taste of the suite life - Rome Sentinel - September 5th, 2020
- Training in Chess and Advanced Math starts this FALL - ONLINE! - Patch.com - September 4th, 2020
- Arizona Cardinals have a chance to deploy Isaiah Simmons in a number of ways - Revenge of the Birds - September 4th, 2020
- Bird Droppings: Larry Fitzgerald sits, defensive line improvements, decision on Haason Reddick looms and more - Revenge of the Birds - September 4th, 2020
- Reed, Williams and 49ers' missing pieces get glowing reviews - Comcast SportsNet Bay Area - September 3rd, 2020
- List Of All Sports Disciplines For Direct Recruitment Of Sportspersons In Government Jobs - NDTV - September 3rd, 2020
- What the Andre Smith Trade Means For Panthers' Roster - Sports Illustrated - September 1st, 2020
- Chess Olympiad: Vidit Gujrathi on how he led India to its first-ever gold medal - Livemint - September 1st, 2020
- Pre-Dinner Stress: After School Clubs to the Rescue - Patch.com - September 1st, 2020
- Messi does not intend to meet with Bartomeu but will attend training - MARCA.com - August 29th, 2020
- Promoter Wants Eleider Alvarez To Think Over Career Before Retirement Decision - BoxingScene.com - August 27th, 2020
- Arlington Community Education to offer new classes this fall - Wicked Local Arlington - August 27th, 2020
- Cowboys training camp practice number eight updates: Chidobe Awuzie, other corners are showing up in practice - Blogging The Boys - August 27th, 2020
- The geopolitical transformation of the Middle East - Asia Times - August 27th, 2020
- Boys State Is Civility Propaganda of the Highest Order - TheStranger.com - August 25th, 2020
- Where the Patriots training camp competitions stand after one week - Pats Pulpit - August 25th, 2020
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - August 25th, 2020
- Kenya's greatest snooker player Ramji living the dream - Daily Nation - August 22nd, 2020
- Athlete's perspective: How COVID-19 impacted a U.S. Olympic hopeful from Mansfield - Richland Source - August 21st, 2020
- Rams' rookie safeties have made their mark early in camp - Rams Wire - August 21st, 2020
- Learning music does not increase your cognitive abilities or the beauty of the useless - Explica - August 20th, 2020
- MasterClass Announces New Class on Ukulele with Virtuoso and Composer Jake Shimabukuro - PRNewswire - August 20th, 2020
- Earning Eagle Rank in Pandemic Time - McLean Connection - August 19th, 2020
- Moving Forward With Online Classes: Another Option | Education - Inside NoVA - August 18th, 2020
- The bodycheck - Chessbase News - August 18th, 2020