That wasnt the case in Game 1 of the WNBA semifinals Tuesday, Sept. 22.
Facing a team that features Breanna Stewart, Jewell Loyd and Sue Bird, the Lynxs Napheesa Collier stood head and shoulders above them all. The second-year forward put up 25 points, nine rebounds and six blocked shots joining icon Lisa Leslie as the only players in WNBA playoff history to post such a stat line.
The Lynx nearly won Game 1, before falling 88-86 to the WNBA title favorites at the buzzer. Collier, the 2019 WNBA rookie of the year, was the main reason why.
Thats what we hope for. When your best player performs like your best player, it gives your team a chance to be successful, Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve said.
Collier got it done in all aspects. She made 4 of 5 three-point attempts, while also taking advantage of post touches. On defense, she slowed Stewart, a former WNBA MVP.
I thought Phee was incredible, Reeve said. Its really important for us that Collier plays like she did, and tried to will us in there.
Collier seems to know these types of efforts are required if Minnesota is going to contend with Seattle a team that twice blitzed the Lynx in the regular season in this best-of-5 series, which resumes at 6:30 p.m. Thursday. An aggressive, smart Collier is the Lynxs path to success.
Coming into the playoffs, I knew that when I pass up shots, it hurts the team, Collier said. When anyone does that, it hurts the team, so just taking things when I was open and trying to get different looks.
Minnesota was best known this season for its sheer number of players who could be Option A on any given night. Collier was great this season en route to earning second-team All-WNBA honors, but it wasnt like she took games over on a daily basis. But theres no time like the present to do so.
We need it. You know whats next, in Game 2, anything that you had success with is going to become even harder, Reeve said. Thats the fun of a series. Now youve got Game 1 in the books and we go back and study the video and see what each team can take away that they werent happy with. In order for Phee to be successful, shes going to have to find even more ways to get it done, but shes got such a will about her, such an agility about her.
Colliers ability to learn and adapt has been on display since she stepped into the league last year. At the start of this season, Collier felt the wrath of opposing defenses keying on the reigning rookie of the year for the first time and playing her to only be a threat in the lane. She started to hit enough outside shots and played well off fellow forward Damiris Dantas to combat defensive game plans.
Defensively, Reeve said Collier has bought into the ideas of positioning and staying vertical when going airborne. All six of her blocks were crucial for Minnesota on Tuesday. Her defense of Stewart kept Seattle from creating separation.
All of that was fueling us, Reeve said. That was pretty exciting for us.
Collier said she was simply locked in on Stewarts tendencies, noting she had extra time to study the game plan after Game 1 was postponed from the original Sunday start date.
If she makes a hard shot, shes a great player, shes going to do that and itll happen, Collier said of Stewart. But take away the things that she always does and is really good at.
Stewart will make adjustments ahead of Game 2, Collier noted. But she will, too. The chess match continues, and the Lynx have to be encouraged by their queens ascension.
Shes just done some really impressive things, Reeve said. If she plays like (she did Tuesday), we have a chance.
Read more from the original source:
- With a passion for STEM, U of T recipients of the Schulich Leader Scholarships are flying high - News@UofT - October 21st, 2020
- Where Is A Will There Is Brazil Society 2020, Despite The Pandemics - Analysis - Eurasia Review - October 21st, 2020
- 5 Strategies You Can Use to Build an Emotionally Intelligent Team - Entrepreneur - October 21st, 2020
- Chess For Beginners | Study Plan: The Opening - Chess.com - October 19th, 2020
- How to Study Chess | US Chess.org - October 19th, 2020
- Rook, line and sinker - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - October 19th, 2020
- BepiColombo Spacecraft Studies Venus on Its Way to Mercury - Best gaming pro - October 19th, 2020
- Netballer awarded trifecta of top University sports awards - India Education Diary - October 19th, 2020
- Blog: Five cases in which robots are better than man - The Slovak Spectator - October 17th, 2020
- Beating Blitz Will Be Critical in Beating Bucs - Sports Illustrated - October 17th, 2020
- Looking to Get Lost Review: The Heart of Rock n Roll - Wall Street Journal - October 17th, 2020
- Mentally demanding tasks are harder to handle at home - Workplace Insight - October 16th, 2020
- How Many Hours Of Chess Study Does It Take To Be A Grandmaster? - Chess.com - October 16th, 2020
- Things to do in Brownwood and the area - Brownwood Bulletin - October 16th, 2020
- Daddy and 9 Other Reads I Cant Get Out of My Head - Vulture - October 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 implications for brand strategists - Ask Afrika - Bizcommunity.com - October 16th, 2020
- Our Critic on the Best of the 2020 New York Film Festival - Nashville Scene - October 16th, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Competitive Analysis 2020 and Key Players: SRC, Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing, Airbus Defence and Space, etc - re:Jerusalem - October 14th, 2020
- Exploring Iceland's volcanoes and glacier caves - Red Bull Australia - October 14th, 2020
- To Stop an Electoral Coup, Study What Went Wrong in the 2000 Florida Recount - Jacobin magazine - October 14th, 2020
- Cam Newton remains on track to play on Monday, barring the development of symptoms - NBC Sports - NFL - October 11th, 2020
- Carlsen may have shown the way for Virat, Dhoni - Bangalore Mirror - October 11th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Another instructive endgame - Chessbase News - October 9th, 2020
- How to watch the Apple iPhone 12 event on October 13 - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- PocketBook Color review: is color E Ink finally ready? - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- Can't smell stinky fish? It might be in your genes - Nature.com - October 9th, 2020
- BOARD GAMES Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2025 | Asmode Editions, Goliath BV, Hasbro - re:Jerusalem - October 9th, 2020
- Leistikow: The impressive rise of Dane Belton, a versatile chess piece in Iowa's defense - desmoinesregister.com - October 8th, 2020
- Key West Voters To Decide What Happens To Cruises, Revisiting A Study On Hate Groups, 'Critical Thinking' With John Leguizamo - WLRN - October 8th, 2020
- McDonald's set to release new breakfast items in October - Yahoo Money - October 8th, 2020
- Curly the Curling Robot Can Beat the Pros at Their Own Game - Smithsonian Magazine - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Industry Revenue, Key Players, Supply-demand, COVID 19 Investment Feasibility and Forecast to 2026- The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 7th, 2020
- Aspen teachers say they're being made pawns in the pandemic - Aspen Times - October 7th, 2020
- Learn The Fundamental Theorem of Poker - Using Math to Win at Poker - BestUSCasinos.org - October 7th, 2020
- Nektar Therapeutics (NKTR) and the Battle of Fundamentals vs. Technicals - The News Heater - October 7th, 2020
- Underline going over the top to celebrate its first leg - Miami Today - October 7th, 2020
- Ceramic Wash Basin Market COVID 19 Status, Growth Rate by Applications, and Future Forecast 2026- TOTO, AmericanStandard, Roca, HCG, Villeroy Boch -... - October 7th, 2020
- Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market Growth And Status Explored In A New Research Report QY Research, IncLockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - The Daily... - October 7th, 2020
- Meet Chirag Falor, the JEE Advanced topper Rank 1 and Bal Shakti award winner studying at MIT - India Today - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Online: How to Play and Win Chess | Chess Tips & Strategies - Popular Mechanics - October 3rd, 2020
- Curly the Robot Competes With Professional Curling Athletes - Science Times - October 3rd, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Chess Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global B2B Telecommunications Market Research Report 2026 Observational Studies with Top Manufacturers like BT Group, Callstream, Chess, Charterhouse... - October 3rd, 2020
- Jeffrey Aronson: When I Use a Word . . . Planning - The BMJ - The BMJ - October 3rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Fans Hated Sailor Mercury (& 5 They Loved Her) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 3rd, 2020
- Review: Aurora Fox' "Tom Foolery: The Words and Music of Tom Lehrer" - The Know - October 3rd, 2020
- Robot named 'Curly' uses AI to beat one of the world's best curling teams at their own game - The Streetjournal - October 1st, 2020
- Harlem's 67 Orange Bar Cocktails in the Time of Corona - The Daily Beast - October 1st, 2020
- Get to know Grand Haven school board candidates - Grand Haven Tribune - October 1st, 2020
- AI Robot "Curly" Beats the Korean Olympic Silver-Medalist Curling Team - Tech Times - October 1st, 2020
- San Franciscos DA Makes Significant Prosecutorial Changes To Further The Fight Against Anti-Black Racism And Implicit Bias In The Justice System -... - October 1st, 2020
- Social Media Use Linked With Depression During Pandemic: Here Are 5 Healthier Ways to Spend Your Time - News18 - October 1st, 2020
- How the Presidential Debates Will Influence the Outcome of the 2020 Election - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - September 30th, 2020
- Singapore urges need for international organisations to 'reform' in digital age - Best gaming pro - September 28th, 2020
- Arwa Salih and the Lost Generation of Egyptian Communism - Jacobin magazine - September 28th, 2020
- A Robot Beats Humans at Their Own GameThis Time on the Ice - The Wall Street Journal - September 24th, 2020
- Chess Table Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 24th, 2020
- Siblings able to make the most of their time as students - Harvard Gazette - September 23rd, 2020
- Industrial Wood Coating Market Study Report (2020-2026), Competitive Analysis, Proposal Strategy, Potential Targets, Assessment And Recommendations |... - September 22nd, 2020
- Why fitness and wellbeing really matter in business - London Business School Review - September 22nd, 2020
- Keep your mind active to prevent Alzheimers disease, say doctors - The Hindu - September 22nd, 2020
- TIFF 2020: Seven First-Time Directors Who Stole The Show - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Harry Potter: 5 Things The Films Got Right About Ron (& 5 They Got Wrong) - Screen Rant - September 19th, 2020
- On Chess: Making Connections Through the Game of Chess - St. Louis Public Radio - September 19th, 2020
- DEAR BLACK MAN: Twenty-one Black men pen open letters of encouragement and brotherhood to Black men - The Atlanta Voice - September 19th, 2020
- Chagrin Falls Schools chief pleased with progress in mitigating COVID-19 - cleveland.com - September 19th, 2020
- Massacres in Colombia Lay Bare Next Phase of the Conflict - NACLA - September 19th, 2020
- Ravens film study: What seven plays could tell us about the 2020 season - Baltimore Sun - September 16th, 2020
- Scientists use big data to sway elections and predict riots welcome to the 1960s - Nature.com - September 16th, 2020
- Why California is Burning Mess of Smog and How to Fix It - SOFREP - September 16th, 2020
- Armani Casa marks 20 years at the heart of the well-considered home - Wallpaper* - September 16th, 2020
- Retired Chess Grandmaster, AlphaZero AI Reinvent Chess - Science Times - September 15th, 2020
- The 10 Best Chess Moves Of All Time - Chess.com - September 15th, 2020
- Five ancient Indian board games - Media India Group - September 15th, 2020
- Global Sports Technology Market to 2026 - by Sports, Technology, and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - September 15th, 2020
- A government agency just warned this week's West Coast wildfires could spark a financial crisis. A top economi - Business Insider India - September 15th, 2020
- The Moons surface is rusting and Earth may be to blame - The Next Web - September 15th, 2020
- A Lesson to Learn: Nektar Therapeutics (NKTR) - The News Heater - September 15th, 2020
- The Man Who Refused to Spy - The New Yorker - September 15th, 2020
- Strength Training Helps Protect the Brain From Degeneration - Newsmax - September 15th, 2020