For the first time in weeks, its Monday morning and theres no CPL soccer to look forward to in the coming days.
As grand a climax as Saturdays Island Games final was to watch, its setting in now that the 2020 CPL season has come to a close after a wildsix weeks in Prince Edward Island.All in all, we saw 35 entertaining games played out at UPEI in Charlottetown, and then Forge FC walked away with the North Star Shieldfor a second time in as many years.
It would be borderline criminal to forget it all, though. The entire competition was a remarkable spectacle of Canadian soccer, filled with drama and quality.
As we did after the opening round of The Island Games, the team at CanPL.ca has singled out a few unofficial awards to hand out for thesecond group stage and CPL Final in PEI (not to be confused, of course, with the true CPL Awards, whose nominees were announced last week).
RELATED READING: CanPL.cas Best XI of The Island Games Wanders and Forge lead the way
It was an incredible breakout tournament for Farsi, the 20-year-old Montreal native at Cavalry FC. He was a scoring threat, a playmaker, and a pressing weapon on either flank of the pitch.
Perhaps the greatest moment of his Island Games campaign, though, was this goal against Pacific FC. In Cavalrys first match of the second group stage, with Pacific having recently pulled one back to cut their deficit to just one goal, Farsi came up big all on his own.
Farsi spotted Jordan Haynes misread of goalkeeper Callum Irvings pass, and he immediately turned on the jets to chase down the loose ball. He knocked it toward the corner while he himself cut the other way around Haynes, easily winning the race to the open ball.
What happened next was spectacular: Farsi, from an incredibly difficult angle, placed his hard shot perfectly off the far post and in.
Honourable mentions are due to Marco Bustos brilliant header against HFX Wanderers FC and Akeem Garcias goal against Forge in the group stage opener.
The Ox was rightly named a finalist for the CPLs Golden Glove award as the leagues top shot-stopper in 2020, after an Island Games that saw him make some fantastic saves for the Wanderers.
Unfortunately, his performance in the CPL Final may ultimately be remembered for Forges second goal, which bounced into the net after a mistake, butOxner had a fantastic game before that.
Oxner made three saves in the final, and he threw himself on some extremely dangerous loose balls in the box that should otherwise have been goals. His greatest moment, though, came in the 73rd minute; the keeper was off his line after playing a straightforward pass to Andre Rampersad, who turned the ball over to Forge at the worst time.
With Oxner scrambling back into position, David Choinire walked in all alone on goal. Oxner, however,managed to get his left arm out and bat the shot down.
(Highlights from OneSoccer)
All the second group stage games (and, of course, the Final) were very entertaining; the stakes were high, teams were engaged, and everyone seemed to have cranked the intensity level up a notch from the first round, which hadnt seemed possible.
Still, we have to give the crown to this afternoon clash. It was like a three-act play, and it was the moment HFX Wanderers truly earned their place in the CPL Final.
After seeing yellow in just the second minute, Cavs defender Jonathan Wheeldon fouled in the box just 11 minutes in, earning a red card and giving HFX a penalty. Playing with 10 men, Cavalry suddenly had to climb out of a hole one whichgrew even deeper when they conceded another penalty in the 41st minute, making it 2-0 for HFX at halftime.
The Cavs were already decimated by injuries (none of Nik Ledgerwood, Nico Pasquotti, or Oliver Minatel appeared in the game), so there wasnt much Tommy Wheeldon Jr. could turn to off the bench. Still, he stitched something together; Jair Crdova came in to get a goal back for Cavalry, and team manager Tofa Fakunle pulled on his boots and very nearly equalized at the death.
Despite playing a man down, Cavalry took seven shots in the second half and had even more possession than in the first, fighting tooth and nail against a resilient HFX team.
Honourable mentions are due to the chess match CPL Final, and the outstanding Marco Bustos-led Pacific FC performance against HFX Wanderers.
This was a tough one to pick, with the other two nominees for the CPLs U-21 Canadian of the Year award (Valours Julian Dunn and Cavalrys Mo Farsi) would be deserving as well.
NSa really turned it on in the group stage, though. He was one of the best fullbacks in the CPL when it came to 1v1 battles, and he was both pacey and defensively responsible on the right flank. The Wanderers played some very direct football, which meant they relied on their fullbacks to move the ball quickly. He did just that.
Unfortunately, the CPL Final wasnt necessarily NSas best performance at The Island Games, which Forge working to suffocate him a bit (although he did lead the team in touches), but he was still an unsung hero for the club, playing particularly well against Cavalry.
It has to be, doesnt it? Bekker captained his team to yet another championship, picking up a second straight Player of the Year nomination in the process.
Bekker was joint-third in the CPL at The Island Games for chances (12), second in ball recoveries (58), first in crosses (22), and fifth in key passes (11). The stats cant tell the whole story with Bekker, though.
He covered an unbelievable amount of ground, logging very heavy minutes for Forge despite playing a high-tempo, exhausting style. He was really the engine behind everything Forge did, with his exceptional passing and ball-winning ability.
Coach Bobby Smyrniotis said it best: Hes one of the biggest reasons why we do it Theres no better guy to have leading your team on the field than Kyle Bekker.
Honourable mentions go to Marco Bustos (especially for his dominant final game), and Golden Boot winner Akeem Garcia.
Read the rest here:
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World', 'Shadow Gangs', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - January 15th, 2021
- Their Uniforms Say Ohio State and Alabama. The Players Are From Everywhere. - The Wall Street Journal - January 13th, 2021
- Ziggurat Interactive Releases First Retro First Friday Pack Of 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - January 9th, 2021
- TV tonight: another day in paradise for detective Ralf Little - The Guardian - January 9th, 2021
- The Board Games Global Market is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 13% Between 2021 to 2026 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- 50 Best TV Shows To Watch In 2021 - Highest Rated Television Series - OtakuKart - OtakuKart - December 29th, 2020
- Red Bull think they have secret weapon to catch Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas | F1 | Sport - TechnoCodex - December 23rd, 2020
- HBO's Industry creators and Myha'la Herrold break down season 1 finale - Entertainment Weekly - December 22nd, 2020
- Research at Microsoft 2020: Addressing the present while looking to the future - Microsoft - December 22nd, 2020
- Deals of the Week, December 11 to 18 Growth Business roundup - GrowthBusiness.co.uk - December 18th, 2020
- Turns Out Its Pretty Good: Doomscrolling - The Cut - December 18th, 2020
- A Letter to My Kids - The Good Men Project - December 15th, 2020
- Yakuza Remastered Collection On The Way For Xbox & PC - Bleeding Cool News - December 13th, 2020
- Hitman 3 Gets A New Trailer Showing Off The Features - Bleeding Cool News - December 9th, 2020
- Reflections on 40 years: thanks for the memories (we can remember) - NOLA.com - December 9th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review: The Pricing Conundrum - Tom's Hardware - December 8th, 2020
- AI has almost solved one of biologys greatest challenges how protein unfolds - ThePrint - December 8th, 2020
- Demis Hassabis interview: the kid from the comp who founded DeepMind and cracked a mighty riddle of science - The Times - December 6th, 2020
- Online Chess and Working from Home - Chessbase News - December 5th, 2020
- Full Fischer film in YouTube - Chessbase News - December 5th, 2020
- New C360 CEO Howard Wright Sees Broadcast Tech Putting Fans on the Field of Play - Sports Video Group - December 5th, 2020
- This is what would happen if a Hind took on a Cobra - We Are The Mighty - December 5th, 2020
- Hyundai Takes The Wraps Off Its E-GMP Electric Car Platform - CleanTechnica - December 3rd, 2020
- Top 9 Reasons to Rent an RV when you traveling - The Dubrovnik Times - December 3rd, 2020
- Akron flashback: Some childhood toys you never forget - Akron Beacon Journal - December 1st, 2020
- 24 Comments on GM is Paying Cadillac Dealers to Ditch the Brand... - The Truth About Cars - November 29th, 2020
- Skilling Open QF2: Day of the Comebacks - chess24 - November 27th, 2020
- Jelurida Announces Bridge Champ, an On-Chain Version of the Famous Card Game - IT News Online - November 27th, 2020
- The 37 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 27th, 2020
- The Joylessness of Cooking - The New Yorker - November 27th, 2020
- The Big Bang Theory: 10 Hidden Details About Penny That Everyone Missed - Screen Rant - November 26th, 2020
- Hitman 3 Reveals A New Location With Chongqing, China - Bleeding Cool News - November 25th, 2020
- Conte and Zidane remain best of friends ahead of San Siro reunion - MSN UK - November 25th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Review: The Mainstream Knockout - Tom's Hardware - November 24th, 2020
- What's Next In AI, Chips And Masks - SemiEngineering - November 20th, 2020
- NFL Week 11: Picks and preview - Yardbarker - November 20th, 2020
- 2020 NBA Draft: Sam Vecenie's likes and dislikes - The Athletic - November 20th, 2020
- We have free android games and apps Birmingham Alive - Birmingham Alive - November 18th, 2020
- Remembering When the Memories Are No Longer Our Own - War on the Rocks - November 12th, 2020
- How To Learn Chess By Yourself: Best Apps And More - Goosed.ie - November 10th, 2020
- So Beats Abdusattorov In Speed Chess Match - Chess.com - November 10th, 2020
- Truss the process: How the Ravens turned a strange week into their biggest win of the season - Baltimore Sun - November 10th, 2020
- 2020 European MotoGP Results and News - Cycle News - November 10th, 2020
- Star Renegades Will Be Coming To Consoles Later This Month - Bleeding Cool News - November 10th, 2020
- Why a great teacher can make all the difference - Blogdottv - November 10th, 2020
- How Disney Helped Fans Live Their Star Wars Stories - Theme Park Insider - November 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence, the reality behind the runaway - Pledge Times - November 8th, 2020
- 8 Comments on Bugatti Bolide's Claimed Nurburing Time Isn't Real... - The Truth About Cars - October 30th, 2020
- What happened at the Badger Fire? - Times-News - October 30th, 2020
- Red Bull hopes 'Balance of Performance' plan will win rivals over to engine freeze - RaceFans - October 28th, 2020
- Rybka - Wikipedia - October 28th, 2020
- What the hell is reinforcement learning and how does it work? - The Next Web - October 28th, 2020
- How the new diversity is transforming science fictions future - Polygon - October 28th, 2020
- Low-flying helicopters to measure radiation levels in DC before inauguration | TheHill - The Hill - October 23rd, 2020
- Derrick Henry isnt the only challenge for the Steelers in Nashville - Behind the Steel Curtain - October 23rd, 2020
- The Rise of the Machines: Where Does the Person Stop and the Machine Start? - CIO Applications - October 21st, 2020
- National Stock Exchange of Australia to Launch Automated Trading Blockchain... - Coinspeaker - October 21st, 2020
- When 3 is greater than 5 - Chessbase News - October 19th, 2020
- The Analogue Duo Retro System Will Launch Sometime In 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - October 19th, 2020
- NHTSA Launching Investigation Into Chevy Bolt Fires - The Truth About Cars - October 16th, 2020
- Chess Engines Collection Download - OuefCafe.info - October 11th, 2020
- Engines - Chessprogramming wiki - October 11th, 2020
- Unreal Engine will power the Hummer EV's infotainment display - Sports Grind Entertainment - October 8th, 2020
- Jos: Time for Red Bull to produce a championship-winning car - Grand Prix 247 - October 8th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Caruana and Firouzja get off to a good start - Chessbase News - October 7th, 2020
- Belltower: Outlawing the internal combustion engine - Mountain Democrat - October 3rd, 2020
- Netmarble Announces An Original Mobile Title With A3: Still Alive - Bleeding Cool News - October 1st, 2020
- The F-35 in the Way Ahead for USMC-US Navy Integration - Second Line of Defense - September 30th, 2020
- Apple Vs. Epics First Hearing Takes Place, Judge Recommends Jury Trial for July 2021 - mxdwn.com - September 30th, 2020
- 15 Games Like Among Us That Will Test Your Wits - KeenGamer News - September 28th, 2020
- Digital Inclusion: What Does It Bring To The Future Of Connected Vehicles? - ISBuzz News - September 24th, 2020
- Smart Money Podcast: Used Cars in Short Supply, and Shea Coule Talks About Money - Morton Times-News - September 22nd, 2020
- Revved up: How FCA and an army of contractors raced against time to put together 1st new assembly plant in Detroit in 3 decades - Crain's Detroit... - September 20th, 2020
- T-Bones waiting for the all-clear to open - Wicked Local Plymouth - September 19th, 2020
- Changing the rules - Spectator.co.uk - September 19th, 2020
- Cyan Reveals They're Developing The Game Myst For VR - Bleeding Cool News - September 19th, 2020
- Carlsen Connects on Day 2 of Rapid and Blitz - uschess.org - September 19th, 2020
- California's Butte County has been ravaged by wildfires. One man's rescue shows the depth of the fight - San Francisco Chronicle - September 19th, 2020
- The Football GM: Ranking the running backs signed to new contracts - The Athletic - September 16th, 2020
- Is Creativity Dying in Sports? - NYU Washington Square News - September 15th, 2020