The movie Critical Thinking was more than two decades in the making by the time the cast and crew began filming in Miami in 2018. After reading a 1997 article about the Miami Jackson High School chess team in the Miami Herald's now-extinct Tropic magazine,producer Carla Berkowitz bought the rights to the story and spent years trying to make a movie about the unlikely pack of high school students who became one of the winningest teams in the nation.
Berkowitz ultimately linked up with actor and director JohnLeguizamo and co-producer Scott Rosenfelt to make the film a reality. But by time Critical Thinking was ready for release, COVID-19 had changed life in Hollywood and beyond. Movie theaters shuttered, and film festivals were canceled or closed to U.S. residents. So Critical Thinking wound up being quietly released to select theaters on September 4 andmade available for direct download on platforms including Amazon Video, Apple TV, and iTunes.
The film's release won't be completely devoid of fanfare, however.Tonight, Berkowitz and actor Corwin Tuggles, part of the ensemble cast of chess players, will appear at the New York Latino Film Festival for a sold-out, socially distanced screening of Critical Thinking followed by a Q&A.
"It's at a drive-in in the Bronx behind Yankee Stadium," Berkowitz tells New Times. "That is the only festival we're actually able to attend."
So far, the film has garnered mostly positive reviews from critics, and it has a 93 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Many have noted the diverse cast of Black and Latino actors, some of whom are more established and some who are making their big-screen debuts. Tuggles, who has appeared in episodes of Broad City and Orange Is the New Black, stars alongside Bumblebee's Jorge Lendeborg Jr., Spanish-language film actor Jeffry Batista, TV actor William Hochman, and Pose star Angel Bismark Curiel.
The characters in the movie are based on former students at Miami Jackson who took a chess classcalled Critical Thinking that wastaught bycoach Mario Martinez. The real-life chess players have stayed in touch with Berkowitz for the past 23 years and consulted on the film.
"It's avery inclusive movie and that has always been my goal. The lives of these boys and the coach were represented in an elegant and accurate way that they deserve," Berkowitz says.
Producer Carla Berkowitz with the five real-life Miami Jackson chess players.
Photo courtesy of Carla Berkowitz
The movie's release came just days before theAcademy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced new diversity rules for the Oscars, requiring films to include actors in underrepresented groups. Berkowitz says she applauds the change, noting that an Oscar nomination is a privilege, not a right.
"It's like a shakedown, but in a good way," she says. "I feel like it's a very good start in just waking the world up that no one's gonna watch your movie if you're not going to start including people of every race, color, gender, and ability."
Although some reviewers found the characters in Critical Thinkingto be clichs of low-income people of color, Berkowitz points out that the movie is almost entirely based on actual people and events, right down to the chess matches. The real-life players helped reconstruct their old games move by move so that moviegoers particularly those who play chess would see an accurate depiction of tournament play.
"It was very important to me that no one said, 'Oh, that doesn't happen in chess,' 'That's fake,' 'That's movie magic,'" Berkowitz says.
The real-life chess players saw a screener of the movie at Berkowitz's home months ago, pre-COVID, but Berkowitz says she wanted to experience Critical Thinking on the big screen. Because movie theaters in Broward reopened in August, she drove up to Tamarac two weeks ago and watched the film as she'd always planned to.
"Iwas crying," she says. "To hear thesound design that I was a part of, and to actually be able to hear it in surround sound."
Nevertheless, she says, those watching at home are "enjoying it a lot, but not seeing it with popcorn."
Besides, her true audience was always the Jackson chess players themselves Oelmy "Ito" Paniagua, Gil Luna, Rodelay Medina, Sedrick Roundtree, and Marcel Martinez.
"I'mvery happy for them and for me, in the sense that I was able to follow through on a promise to them that was really kind of a crazy promise," Berkowitz says. "Watching them watch other people play them was, I think, the highlight of my life."
Jessica Lipscomb is news editor of Miami New Times and an enthusiastic Florida Woman. Born and raised in Orlando, she has been a finalist for the Livingston Award for Young Journalists.
- Play blitz and win prizes on playchess.com! - Chessbase News - October 21st, 2020
- Bel Airs Shelby Getz survives unforgettable chess battles with legends of the game at U.S. Senior Championship - Baltimore Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Levon Aronian: I haven't slept since war started - chess24 - October 21st, 2020
- Asian Online Team Chess: India finishes 6th in preliminary round, qualifies for quarterfinals - Outlook India - October 19th, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Postponed Until Spring 2021 - Chess.com - October 17th, 2020
- Bel Air resident and chess champion Shelby Getz to battle for national senior championship online this weekend - Baltimore Sun - October 16th, 2020
- Baltimore man looking to win $50k prize in national chess tournament - wmar2news.com - October 16th, 2020
- $100+K awarded at 2020 SPFNO Online, with 100% Fair Play on National Chess Day! - Chess Daily News - October 16th, 2020
- Meet Zico, The First 17yo Malaysian To Receive The SENIA World Changer Award - WORLD OF BUZZ - October 16th, 2020
- Blast from the Past / 1959: a summertime parade of toys - Lewiston Morning Tribune - October 16th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Tries a Risky Play: Betting Chess Can Be Good TV - The New York Times - October 16th, 2020
- The Best Chess Games In History - Boss Hunting - October 14th, 2020
- New research reveals mentally demanding tasks are more difficult to handle at home - ResponseSource - October 14th, 2020
- Igors Rausis: Chess cheat resurfaces after an infamous toilet break - The Indian Express - October 14th, 2020
- King to king - Chessbase News - October 14th, 2020
- 10-year-old Minnesota girl puts the chess world in checkmate - KARE11.com - October 9th, 2020
- How To Play In US Chess Online Rated Tournaments - Chess.com - October 9th, 2020
- The tech company Play Magnus today been admitted trading - The FINANCIAL - October 8th, 2020
- IM Bhakti Kulkarni to represent Women Indian Team in the Asian Nation's Cup Online Chess - Oherald - October 8th, 2020
- CCPS hosting in-person chess tournament, limited to students in Grades 4-12 - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - October 7th, 2020
- ESL Mobile Open Europe and MENA announced with a prize pool of nearly $100000 - Dot Esports - October 7th, 2020
- Meet these mini-grandmasters of chess - two brothers from Cork - EchoLive.ie - October 7th, 2020
- Irshad Mohammed walks away with top spot in latest round of chess tournament - Stabroek News - October 7th, 2020
- NRX is king of Call of Duty Mobile in Southeast Asia - Manila Bulletin - October 5th, 2020
- Surya Shekhar Ganguly in conversation with Vladimir Kramnik - Chessbase News - October 3rd, 2020
- On Chess: Returning To Over The Board Chess Tournaments - St. Louis Public Radio - October 3rd, 2020
- Fresh Surface Firmware Updates Are Out for Pro 7 and Book 3 - Best gaming pro - October 3rd, 2020
- Why Utah's new Teacher of the Year wants his students of color to play chess - Salt Lake Tribune - October 3rd, 2020
- x64 emulation is coming to Windows on ARM - Best gaming pro - October 3rd, 2020
- When did they get it? - The ten highest-ever rated players - Chessbase News - October 3rd, 2020
- SANDCAST: Answering beach volleyball's questions in a year with no shortage of them - Volleyball Magazine - October 1st, 2020
- Chess and coffee - Chessbase News - September 30th, 2020
- Altibox Norway Chess 2020: Live and over-the-board! - Chessbase News - September 29th, 2020
- The Queen's Journey with chess and ballet: In conversation with Jason Kouchak - Sportskeeda - September 29th, 2020
- Goodbyes and well-wishes: PBA players leave home to start life in Clark bubble - Manila Bulletin - September 29th, 2020
- Diamond-clad Pearl Royale is worlds most expensive chess set - dlmag - September 29th, 2020
- Spanish Team Championship, Round 3: Andreu Paterna in the lead - Chessbase News - September 28th, 2020
- Adesanya retains UFC title with early TKO of Costa - Manila Bulletin - September 28th, 2020
- 5 Amazing Chess Players You've Never Heard Of - Chess.com - September 26th, 2020
- John Leguizamo Is Sick of Latinos Being Excluded in Hollywood: 'Were 1 Percent of the Stories' - PEOPLE - September 26th, 2020
- One Day on a Hard Court, Then on Clay - The New York Times - September 26th, 2020
- Chess in the movies: "Critical Thinking" - a fine film by John Leguizamo - Chessbase News - September 26th, 2020
- Two locals in contention for top spot - The Daily Star - September 26th, 2020
- Tournament from tomorrow - The Daily Star - September 23rd, 2020
- AlphaZero (And Other!) Chess Variants Now Available For Everyone - Chess.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Guess the child prodigy - Chessbase News - September 23rd, 2020
- Int'l online chess event to mark 74th birthday of PM Hasina - Dhaka Tribune - September 23rd, 2020
- Ranindu, Nethmi win top titles at Chess Nationals - Ceylon Daily News - September 23rd, 2020
- Mechanics' to Host U.S. Cadet National Championship this Weekend - uschess.org - September 22nd, 2020
- The Only Problem In Fischer Random Chess - Chess.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Today's Top Sports News: Who can become the captain of Team India after Kohli, Sunil Gavaskar said this - Pledge Times - September 20th, 2020
- Pushed to the limit, Djokovic finds a way to win - The Tribune - September 19th, 2020
- Summer Knights stands as school year's first chess tourney - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - September 19th, 2020
- So Leads Saint Louis Tournament Before Blitz Games - Chess.com - September 19th, 2020
- Mobile Premier League bets on advertising to create niche in e-sports market - Mint - September 19th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen has conquered the world of chess. Now he's setting his sights on fantasy football - erienewsnow.com - September 19th, 2020
- Saint Louis Rapid & Blitz: Live! - Chessbase News - September 16th, 2020
- Boston Celtics vs. Miami Heat a series where each team must make tough choices: Youre not expecting it to b - MassLive.com - September 16th, 2020
- US Open: Winged Foot looks to humble the Professionals - Pro Golf Now - September 15th, 2020
- Kasparov Holds Carlsen In 1st Clash In 16 Years - Chess.com - September 12th, 2020
- Is There Going to be an 'Alpha Flight' Movie? - Book and Film Globe - September 12th, 2020
- 'Chess player' Daniil Medvedev looks the one to beat at US Open - Eurosport.com - September 12th, 2020
- Nihal Beats Tang In Junior Speed Chess Championship - Chess.com - September 12th, 2020
- Mikoto interview: I'm kind of getting motivated after losing to TNC - VPEsports - September 11th, 2020
- Stars, Golden Knights reach chess match part of West final - NHL - September 11th, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Resumes November 1 - Chess.com - September 9th, 2020
- Chess prodigy Ajitesh Nair on the cusp of history - Telangana Today - September 9th, 2020
- Amid a lockdown and development of livestreaming technology, chess is going through a renaissance - Firstpost - September 8th, 2020
- Nathanael Paul crowned county champion for the first time - shropshirestar.com - September 8th, 2020
- Junior Speed Chess Championship Begins This Week - Chess.com - September 7th, 2020
- Is Critical Thinking on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime? Where to Watch Critical Thinking? - The Cinemaholic - September 5th, 2020
- Giri replaced by Duda in Norway Chess: Would've loved to play - chess24 - September 4th, 2020
- CLG Partners With Chess.com For First-Ever CLG Chess Arena - Chess.com - September 4th, 2020
- Indian GM Iniyan wins World Open online chess - The Tribune India - September 4th, 2020
- Critical Thinking Review: All the Right Moves - The New York Times - September 4th, 2020
- Wroclaw wins the 2020 Polish Team Championship - Chessbase News - September 4th, 2020
- Team captain Vidit Gujrathi looks back at Indias dramatic shared title at the Online Chess Olympiad - The Indian Express - September 4th, 2020
- Masks, soap machines and mini-golf: inside the US Open bubble - FRANCE 24 - September 3rd, 2020
- With "Critical Thinking," John Leguizamo directs a rousing "Stand and Deliver"-style chess story - Salon - September 3rd, 2020
- Masks, soap machines and mini-golf: inside the US Open bubble - Yahoo Sports - September 1st, 2020