As the only undefeated player, GMWesley Soleads the Saint Louis Rapid & Blitztournament after nine rounds of rapid chess. Going into the blitz, the American grandmaster is a point ahead ofGM Magnus Carlsen, who lost to GM Alexander Grischuk in the ninth round.
The Russian grandmaster, who said he came into the tournament "extremely tired and ill," is now in shared third place with his compatriotGMIan Nepomniachtchi. Speed chess specialist GM Hikaru Nakamurascored 50 percent. With 18 rounds of blitz to go, he is four points behind the leader together with GMs Levon Aronian and Pentala Harikrishna.
Saint Louis Rapid | Round 9 Standings
The day started well for Carlsen, who added another win to his streak of three from the previous day. The world champion outplayed the tailender GM Alireza Firouzja from the black side of a Nimzo-Indian. In the final position, the bishop on e6 is threatening both the knight on f5 and via b3 the pawn on a4.
But then and there, Carlsen's smooth riding ended. He either blundered or sacrificed a big pawn against GM Jeffery Xiong in the opening (a Winawer French) and initially was lucky to get away with a draw, but in the end, both players got into terrible time-trouble, and there was even a win for Carlsen.
In the same round, Aronian and Nakamura played an epic game as well that deserves a deeper analysis. Here it is with some light notes:
The day didn't end well for Carlsen, who played the offbeat Dragondorf vs. Grischuk, sacrificed on c3, but got into trouble when he allowed White's queen into his camp.
"I thought that he will play something adventurous because when hes doing good, he plays like he cannot lose. He even said it himself yesterday in the interview," said Grischuk. "I didnt know how to proceed. I was just happy that we were having an interesting position, but then I feel like I misplayed it. I didnt like it when he castled."
The middlegame remained unclear though, according to the three-time world blitz champion: "Then he sacrificed an exchange which is very tempting, and actually I thought he will, but I guess he missed 22.Ba5."
That move made it possible for the white queen to penetrate. "Its not even that Black loses his a6-pawn. The problem is that whites knight starts to harass his pieces," Grischuk said.
Grischuk: "Coming to the tournament, I had only one ambition, which is the ninth place because taking last place is never nice, but I was extremely tired and ill and so on. You could see, the first day I was playing like a beginner."
So drew one game and won two on the third day. "Today has been a great day," he said. "Im starting to play some quality chess so far, and obviously the rapid portion means a lot more than the blitz because it counts as two."
The American GM even managed to squeeze out the full point as Black in a Berlin as GM Leinier Dominguez took too much risk on the kingside.
Yesterday's tweet with his cat is embedded again here, as it is too cute. Asked about it, So said the cat is namedZanzibar and is 18.5 years old. "He always sits on my lap when Im studying, and he always wants to be around."
As for the tournament, So said: "Its always hard to win tournaments with Magnus around unless hes in a really bad shape. Still, anything can happen, and as many players have pointed out, I am not by any means the best blitz player. In order to try to win this tournament, Im gonna have to need stability and not to lose too many games."
Saint Louis Rapid, Day 3 | All games
The Saint Louis Rapid & Blitz is being played September 15-19 on lichess with a $250,000 prize fund. The time control is 25 minutes plus a five-second increment for the rapid (nine rounds) and five minutes plus a three-second increment for the blitz (18 rounds).
See the original post:
- Veteran chess player teaches patience and strategy with Labor Day weekend tournament - WPTV.com - September 4th, 2021
- Chess federation to host tournament Oct. 3 at Ypao Beach - The Guam Daily Post - September 4th, 2021
- 100 Women Who Care NPO needs sponsors to host a chess tournament - Midrand Reporter - September 4th, 2021
- Kids run, a chess tournament and new kid space at ETHS - Knox TN Today - August 23rd, 2021
- Fiji Chess gears up for another online tournament - FBC News - August 9th, 2021
- Dobbs Ferry Chess Champion Competing in National Tournament - The Hudson Indy Westchester's Rivertowns News - - The Hudson Independent - July 25th, 2021
- Chess: Viswanathan Anand to return to over-the-board action after a year with Croatia tournament - Scroll.in - July 10th, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: 4 Winners ... - Chess - June 28th, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: 3 Winners In Final ... - Chess - June 28th, 2021
- Chess Tournaments, Tech Giants And $100,000 In Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - June 28th, 2021
- New Chess Tournament Features $100K BTC Reward for the Winner - Live Bitcoin News - May 30th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency : World chess tournament will award bitcoin to its winners Explica .co - Explica - May 30th, 2021
- How 9-year-old Delhi Boy Raised Funds in Online Chess Tournament to Aid Covid Relief Efforts - Yahoo India News - May 30th, 2021
- Two grandmasters will play in the "European Parliamentary Friendship Online Chess Tournament" - Chessbase News - April 21st, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: Giri Strikes, Moves Into Second-Place Tie - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- Invitational chess tournament to be held in Benin for IDSDP | sportanddev.org - sportanddev.org - April 5th, 2021
- Open Air Chess Tournament at Sugar Land Town Square - 365 Things to Do in Houston - March 9th, 2021
- Back in the game: Karpov to play classical tournament in Malm - Chessbase News - March 9th, 2021
- All or nothing: How Wijk aan Zee pulled off its 'most challenging' chess tournament - ESPN - February 3rd, 2021
- Success at Satu Mare in the online national chess tournament for the age group - CampusLATELY - January 26th, 2021
- First ever Barak Valley Open Chess Tournament kickstarts in Silchar - Barak Bulletin - January 26th, 2021
- Another weekend on-line chess tournament - Sunday Observer - January 25th, 2021
- World famous Hastings chess tournament takes place this weekend - Hastings Observer - January 9th, 2021
- Rook No Further! Coral Springs Holds Open Play Chess and Tournament - Coral Springs Talk - Coral Springs Talk - January 6th, 2021
- Azeri-Jewish Chess Grandmaster Radjabov in tears after winning tournament - The Jerusalem Post - January 6th, 2021
- Beccacece and a chess tournament with the Racing kids - Inspired Traveler - December 16th, 2020
- Young Chess Stars Meet in a Winner Take All Tournament Checkmate! - The Zebra - December 9th, 2020
- For the love of the game: Tournament chess returns to Virginia, pandemic or not - WTOP - November 16th, 2020
- Costumed players bring success for first Chess Halloween Tournament - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - November 6th, 2020
- 14-year-old Mendonca wins chess tournament in Hungary - The Tribune India - October 28th, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Postponed Until Spring 2021 - Chess.com - October 17th, 2020
- How To Play In US Chess Online Rated Tournaments - Chess.com - October 9th, 2020
- CCPS hosting in-person chess tournament, limited to students in Grades 4-12 - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - October 7th, 2020
- Irshad Mohammed walks away with top spot in latest round of chess tournament - Stabroek News - October 7th, 2020
- On Chess: Returning To Over The Board Chess Tournaments - St. Louis Public Radio - October 3rd, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Resumes November 1 - Chess.com - September 9th, 2020
- Forks The final of the chess value tournament ended with a historic title distribution due to a server problem - Pledge Times - September 1st, 2020
- The United States Chess Federation - Clubs & Tournaments - August 21st, 2020
- Norway Chess to be 1st over-the-board super-tournament since March - chess24 - August 19th, 2020
- Chess Tournaments Calendar: July 2020 - Chess.com - August 15th, 2020
- Fishbein, Park, Liang, and Xie win at Tournaments of State Champions - uschess.org - August 12th, 2020
- Hikaru to host Chess tournament headlined by xQc, IWillDominate - Dot Esports - August 11th, 2020
- Leon Mendonca wins on board chess tournament in Hungary - The Hindu - June 24th, 2020
- The International Tournament in Bamberg starts! - Chessbase News - June 24th, 2020
- Chess Lovers in the Costa del Sol Unite as Malaga Will Host an Online Tournament This Saturday - Euro Weekly News - June 24th, 2020