I LOVE California. I grew up along the Ventura coast and the Channel Islands as an 11-year-old boy. I was then stationed in beautiful San Diego as a young Navy SEAL, and then I left the state because of all the reasons Im going to write about below.
I LOVE California but its going to Hell with Harvey Weinstein.
To my Californian friends (and mom who lives in Ventura), its not too late to get out while you can, and apologies in advance for what Im about to say.
There will be no take-backs its truly liberating to actually express a strong opinion these days and Im grateful that SOFREP is one of the few places I (we) have left for this.
Decades of failed environmental and fiscal leadership, along with a population thats not held this leadership accountable, has got California here.
I would attribute this partly to an American political duopoly that gerrymanders and force-serves us all a two-course tasting menu by a bad chef.
Read Next: Jesse Ventura: Read What SOFREP's Members Have to Say
Our choice. Democrat or Republican. Chicken or steak.
But Im Pescatarian!? You can only have the chicken or the steak! the politicians yell back. So funny how Congress can call tech companies to the carpet to yell at them about market share strangleholds and not realize they have been abusing their market for years. How about they turn that mirror on themselves for a minute.
Wouldnt it be great to have elections where we could just tally the popular vote and not the electoral votes? I think wed see better candidates on the ballots and on the ballots and elected.
Back to the bad leadership that got us here.
The irony of Governor Newsom telling everyone to get woke to climate change, as his state burns in a thick layer of LA gridlock traffic smog, is like Trump telling Biden to stop tweeting whatever comes to mind from his basement. I think in chess they would call that last sentence above a fork but Id have to ask my friend James Altucher, a great chess player, for sure.
If you really take the time to step back and look at California, its been in terrible shape for decades now. Its record on the environment is Bejing-like horrible. And the states great reputation ushered in by the rise of the chic blond surfers, incredible music scene, and Hollywood elite cool factor has been long gone to the unplugged.
Surfers along the coast get sick when it rains. Creepy industry moguls that used blowjobs as a promotion tool have fallen. Tech has fled abroad with an autonomous workforce. And an entertainment industry once orbiting around the Los Angeles elite has lost its gravitational pull with the rise of the tech streamers and higher morality.
Its so strange that when you think of California, all these good images come to mind. In my head, all I want to think about is clean beaches, clean air, and healthy people but the Californian reality is not that.
The romantic pull of California is so strong it makes you want to believe its different than it really is!
Read Next: Interview With Navy SEAL Chris Sajnog
Dear Californian friends, and hold outs,
Please unplug yourself from the CA love matrix, step back and focus on the facts, and see the state for what it really is.
California has been burning for years. It has some of the worst vehicle traffic in the nation. In California, every 16-year-old kid has a dinosaur fuel-powered car! Thats four per family! And Ive seen better public transportation in Afghanistan! California is routinely ranked number one for the worst air pollution in the country! Breathe that in for a moment in your downward dog!
I fondly remember free diving in the underwater kelp forests off of Catalina Island. I was so shocked to notice how quickly local fish populations dwindled in front of my 16-year-old eyes. I saw this growing up working as a young surfer and deckhand on a SCUBA charter boat. Now some species can only be seen in aquariums. So sad.
Maybe one day Artificial Intelligence (AI) will put us in zoos for AI children to look at us and screech, Look mommy, those are the humans that almost destroyed the planet!
And dont get me started on the tax climate which is as bad, or worse, (maybe it cant get worse) than the global warming that has ushered in the age of the Californian super fire.
So what happened to that California?! How did it all go down the drain? What can we do to fix it?
Tom Barker, a wise SEAL platoon mentor once told me, Webb, youve earned the right to speak up but remember, never point out a problem in the platoon unless you have a solution to address it. Those words have stuck with me through the years.
Lets talk about solutions and incentives.
One of my favorite topics at Harvard Business school had been economics.
If I could do it all over again Id have been a fighter pilot, and then studied to be a professional economist. Now I just have to settle as Navy SEAL, business owner, and being my own personal family economist.
What do economists do? To put it simply, they study economies, resources, inputs, outputs, GDP, and the incentives that drive economic engines. They make policy recommendations to political and business leaders worldwide. Remember that guy Ben Bernanke advising Obama during the last financial crisis? Hes an American economist.
Im pretty sure that Bernanke could take a room of Californian fifth graders and come up with better policy incentives than the current political leadership in California. Policies that would put the state back on track as a leader in renewable energy, climate change, public transportation, and rebuild the entertainment and tech fortresses.
Some quick solutions that come to mind:
Entertainment & Tech industries: Thirty years of tax breaks and (both State and Federal) incentives to entertainment and tech companies, including capital gains from sale, and start-up venture money for young entrepreneurs. You shouldnt tax them out of state as they did to Buck Knives and Tesla.
Make California business-friendly again. Promote a new tax-friendly environment focused on keeping the same industries, which built the great reputation of the state, from fleeing. Ive seen the power of this type of tax environment in Puerto Rico since they passed favorable tax laws in 2012. Why is Texas growing in jobs? Because its very business and individual income tax-friendly. People are fleeing California for the great state of Texas for that reason.
Smog & Traffic: A massive state-wide investment in high-speed renewable powered public transportation. Im talking high- and low-speed trains that will make it so easy to commute to the airport or coast that it just wont make sense to own multiple cars anymore. Implement a family car tax if more than one car is owned per household. Move up a state-wide commitment to go completely renewable by 2050 and watch things speed up. It is called the sunshine state for a reason
Clean water: Same as above but applied to the boating industry. No commercial fishing in the coastal regions, no offshore drilling. Redirect all storm drains to a water recycling plant instead of pushing chemical cleaning products into the ocean. Focus on the big industries that do the damage, not the recreational industries and participants which often get punished and have little relative effect on the outcome.
Wildfires: Were living with global warming, period. However, theres some data that suggests that more controlled burns, i.e. letting smaller fires burn themselves out (similar to the rest of Baja south of San Diego) would reduce massive dry tinder buildup. Better fund the California fire department to study this and come up with a plan.
These are just off the cuff but a start.
Like the rest of you reading this, I also long for the California of decades past. A California with clean coastlines, clean air, and no traffic. With suntanned youth skating in the afternoon on the sunny Venice boardwalk, and a young Linda Ronstandt singing in some cool bar in the early evening warmth of a glowing Los Angeles skyline.
I truly hope California gets its act together because the state has so much potential, and the world is a better place with a beautiful California.
- CHESS Tool Helps Spot the Difference in Genome Organization - Technology Networks - October 28th, 2020
- Chess Table Market: Qualitative analysis of the leading players and competitive industry scenario | Acrila, Amop Synergies, Colombo Mobili, Doty &... - October 28th, 2020
- Used Construction Machinery Market by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast To 2026 Mascus USA, Arnold Machinery Company, Foley Inc,... - October 28th, 2020
- Plumbing the Depths of Ethanol Ignorance - The Auto Channel - October 28th, 2020
- Film Study: How the Saints Pass O shapes up against the Panthers zone-heavy Pass D - Canal Street Chronicles - October 28th, 2020
- Study finds spread of coronavirus on an airplane is minimal - Yahoo Money - October 24th, 2020
- B2B Telecommunications Market Competitive Insights 2020 : Callstream, Charterhouse Voice and Data, BT Group - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Lockdown Impact On Chess Table Market 2020 | Growth and Demand | Projected By Market Data Analytics - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Forecast to 2025 Published By Leading Research Firm The House of Staunton, ChessSUA - The Think Curiouser - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News by Decresearch - October 23rd, 2020
- 5 Iconic Places Around Campus - The Third Eye - October 23rd, 2020
- Grand master Hikaru challenges Obama to chess match on Twitch - Dexerto - October 23rd, 2020
- Overnight Health Care: Trump says he hopes Supreme Court strikes down ObamaCare | FDA approves remdesivir as COVID-19 treatment | Dems threaten to... - October 23rd, 2020
- 8 Examples of Artificial Intelligence in our Everyday Lives - Edgy Labs - October 23rd, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies | Industry Growth... - October 23rd, 2020
- Review: Invasion from Mars, A War of the Worlds Radio Play by Theatre in the DarkMemories of 1938 - thirdcoastreview.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Sailor Mercury Was The Smartest Senshi Ever (& 5 She Dropped The Ball) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 23rd, 2020
- With a passion for STEM, U of T recipients of the Schulich Leader Scholarships are flying high - News@UofT - October 21st, 2020
- Where Is A Will There Is Brazil Society 2020, Despite The Pandemics - Analysis - Eurasia Review - October 21st, 2020
- 5 Strategies You Can Use to Build an Emotionally Intelligent Team - Entrepreneur - October 21st, 2020
- Chess For Beginners | Study Plan: The Opening - Chess.com - October 19th, 2020
- How to Study Chess | US Chess.org - October 19th, 2020
- Rook, line and sinker - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - October 19th, 2020
- BepiColombo Spacecraft Studies Venus on Its Way to Mercury - Best gaming pro - October 19th, 2020
- Netballer awarded trifecta of top University sports awards - India Education Diary - October 19th, 2020
- Blog: Five cases in which robots are better than man - The Slovak Spectator - October 17th, 2020
- Beating Blitz Will Be Critical in Beating Bucs - Sports Illustrated - October 17th, 2020
- Looking to Get Lost Review: The Heart of Rock n Roll - Wall Street Journal - October 17th, 2020
- Mentally demanding tasks are harder to handle at home - Workplace Insight - October 16th, 2020
- How Many Hours Of Chess Study Does It Take To Be A Grandmaster? - Chess.com - October 16th, 2020
- Things to do in Brownwood and the area - Brownwood Bulletin - October 16th, 2020
- Daddy and 9 Other Reads I Cant Get Out of My Head - Vulture - October 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 implications for brand strategists - Ask Afrika - Bizcommunity.com - October 16th, 2020
- Our Critic on the Best of the 2020 New York Film Festival - Nashville Scene - October 16th, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Competitive Analysis 2020 and Key Players: SRC, Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing, Airbus Defence and Space, etc - re:Jerusalem - October 14th, 2020
- Exploring Iceland's volcanoes and glacier caves - Red Bull Australia - October 14th, 2020
- To Stop an Electoral Coup, Study What Went Wrong in the 2000 Florida Recount - Jacobin magazine - October 14th, 2020
- Cam Newton remains on track to play on Monday, barring the development of symptoms - NBC Sports - NFL - October 11th, 2020
- Carlsen may have shown the way for Virat, Dhoni - Bangalore Mirror - October 11th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Another instructive endgame - Chessbase News - October 9th, 2020
- How to watch the Apple iPhone 12 event on October 13 - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- PocketBook Color review: is color E Ink finally ready? - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- Can't smell stinky fish? It might be in your genes - Nature.com - October 9th, 2020
- BOARD GAMES Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2025 | Asmode Editions, Goliath BV, Hasbro - re:Jerusalem - October 9th, 2020
- Leistikow: The impressive rise of Dane Belton, a versatile chess piece in Iowa's defense - desmoinesregister.com - October 8th, 2020
- Key West Voters To Decide What Happens To Cruises, Revisiting A Study On Hate Groups, 'Critical Thinking' With John Leguizamo - WLRN - October 8th, 2020
- McDonald's set to release new breakfast items in October - Yahoo Money - October 8th, 2020
- Curly the Curling Robot Can Beat the Pros at Their Own Game - Smithsonian Magazine - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Industry Revenue, Key Players, Supply-demand, COVID 19 Investment Feasibility and Forecast to 2026- The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 7th, 2020
- Aspen teachers say they're being made pawns in the pandemic - Aspen Times - October 7th, 2020
- Learn The Fundamental Theorem of Poker - Using Math to Win at Poker - BestUSCasinos.org - October 7th, 2020
- Nektar Therapeutics (NKTR) and the Battle of Fundamentals vs. Technicals - The News Heater - October 7th, 2020
- Underline going over the top to celebrate its first leg - Miami Today - October 7th, 2020
- Ceramic Wash Basin Market COVID 19 Status, Growth Rate by Applications, and Future Forecast 2026- TOTO, AmericanStandard, Roca, HCG, Villeroy Boch -... - October 7th, 2020
- Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market Growth And Status Explored In A New Research Report QY Research, IncLockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - The Daily... - October 7th, 2020
- Meet Chirag Falor, the JEE Advanced topper Rank 1 and Bal Shakti award winner studying at MIT - India Today - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Online: How to Play and Win Chess | Chess Tips & Strategies - Popular Mechanics - October 3rd, 2020
- Curly the Robot Competes With Professional Curling Athletes - Science Times - October 3rd, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Chess Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global B2B Telecommunications Market Research Report 2026 Observational Studies with Top Manufacturers like BT Group, Callstream, Chess, Charterhouse... - October 3rd, 2020
- Jeffrey Aronson: When I Use a Word . . . Planning - The BMJ - The BMJ - October 3rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Fans Hated Sailor Mercury (& 5 They Loved Her) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 3rd, 2020
- Review: Aurora Fox' "Tom Foolery: The Words and Music of Tom Lehrer" - The Know - October 3rd, 2020
- Robot named 'Curly' uses AI to beat one of the world's best curling teams at their own game - The Streetjournal - October 1st, 2020
- Harlem's 67 Orange Bar Cocktails in the Time of Corona - The Daily Beast - October 1st, 2020
- Get to know Grand Haven school board candidates - Grand Haven Tribune - October 1st, 2020
- AI Robot "Curly" Beats the Korean Olympic Silver-Medalist Curling Team - Tech Times - October 1st, 2020
- San Franciscos DA Makes Significant Prosecutorial Changes To Further The Fight Against Anti-Black Racism And Implicit Bias In The Justice System -... - October 1st, 2020
- Social Media Use Linked With Depression During Pandemic: Here Are 5 Healthier Ways to Spend Your Time - News18 - October 1st, 2020
- How the Presidential Debates Will Influence the Outcome of the 2020 Election - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - September 30th, 2020
- Singapore urges need for international organisations to 'reform' in digital age - Best gaming pro - September 28th, 2020
- Arwa Salih and the Lost Generation of Egyptian Communism - Jacobin magazine - September 28th, 2020
- A Robot Beats Humans at Their Own GameThis Time on the Ice - The Wall Street Journal - September 24th, 2020
- If Napheesa Collier continues to be the best player on the court, the Lynx have a shot - Duluth News Tribune - September 24th, 2020
- Chess Table Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 24th, 2020
- Siblings able to make the most of their time as students - Harvard Gazette - September 23rd, 2020
- Industrial Wood Coating Market Study Report (2020-2026), Competitive Analysis, Proposal Strategy, Potential Targets, Assessment And Recommendations |... - September 22nd, 2020
- Why fitness and wellbeing really matter in business - London Business School Review - September 22nd, 2020
- Keep your mind active to prevent Alzheimers disease, say doctors - The Hindu - September 22nd, 2020
- TIFF 2020: Seven First-Time Directors Who Stole The Show - NDTV - September 20th, 2020