Toronto Raptors guard Kyle Lowry (7) dribble away from Boston Celtics center Daniel Theis (27) during the first half of an NBA conference semifinal playoff basketball game on, Sept. 9, 2020, in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
The Associated Press
Coach Nick Nurse said the Toronto Raptors' double-overtime win over the Boston Celtics in Game 6 felt like a chess match going at 100 miles an hour.
So imagine the intensity Game 7 will have on Friday night (9 p.m. ET start), as both teams put their seasons on the line and fight for a spot in the Eastern Conference final.
For six wildly different games in this intriguing second-round playoff series, the Raptors and Celtics have thrown everything at one another as they alternated victories. There have been lineups big and small and defences in every shape. Each has inserted all manner of role players, and drawn up a variety of game-winning plays. There have been bumps, bruises, stitches and blood, pushing, shoving and fiery words exchanged.
Story continues below advertisement
I said before [Game 6], when both teams bring it at a level where you know one cant necessarily impose their will on another, thats where the games become special, Boston coach Brad Stevens said. I wish I wouldnt have said it, because it showed itself true, right? That was a special basketball game.
After the reigning NBA champs tied the best-of-seven set 3-3, the series can be viewed in an entirely different light. Now both teams are worn down by heavy minutes played. They share equal numbers of inspired victories and cutting defeats. The Miami Heat sit watching, waiting to face the winner.
The series has been physical and hard-nosed. It features the NBAs best two teams in defensive rating in this postseason Boston is first in that category and Toronto is second.
A list of the NBAs postseason hustle statistics is chock-full of players from the Raptors and Celtics. Hustle stats are a list of the deeply appreciated but rarely referenced plays that help win games, but dont appear in any box score. Kyle Lowry tops the list in total charges drawn (7), while Kemba Walker is third (5). Lowry and OG Anunoby are first and second in loose balls recovered, 20 and 14, respectively. A whole host of players from both teams such as Serge Ibaka, Pascal Siakam, Daniel Theis and Kemba Walke litter the list of players who have contested the most shots in these playoffs.
Bostons coach sees a common identity between the Raps and Celtics.
Two teams that in a lot of ways, hang their hat on toughness and defending, Stevens said. And then, willing themselves to figure out a way to win games and, you know, I think thats why I have nothing but respect for Toronto.
Many in the basketball community commented on the intensity of Game 6, labelling it an instant classic, some saying it was the most exciting game of this postseason. Lowrys gutsy 33-point performance prompted tweets from his peers, as he piled in six three-pointers, added eight rebounds and six assists, a pair of steals and a blocked shot in a dogged 53 minutes to help the Raps avoid elimination.
Story continues below advertisement
Kyle Lowry is not appreciated as he should be #Winner, tweeted Philadelphia 76ers star Joel Embiid.
Say it louder, tweeted New Orleans Pelicans guard JJ Redick in reply to Embiids post.
Lowry AGAIN AND AGAIN. Unbelievable, read a tweet from Cleveland Cavaliers forward Kevin Love.
I love watching Kyle Lowry play!, tweeted Magic Johnson. I call him the Little General because of his toughness, leadership, scoring ability, basketball IQ, and will to win.
Many players have played heavy minutes, and they face an unrelenting schedule of games every other day in the NBAs bubble, so both teams focused on recovery and film study Thursday. They talked strategy, waiting for the chess match to kick up again.
I expected this to be a long series, thank goodness weve played just well enough to make it a long series, Nurse said. Theres some special guys on this team, Ive said that a lot, that really will compete at an incredible level. Theres some IQ on this team, incredible, and theres some connectivity which is special.
Story continues below advertisement
It brings to mind something Raptor guard Fred VanVleet said last month before the playoffs began. Now it seems to truly resonate.
Its going to be hard to beat us four times, VanVleet said in mid-August. If you can do that, well shake your hand and congratulate you. But I think we all like our chances.
- Reflecting on 'The Queen's Gambit': Are women genetically hardwired to underperform men in chess? - Genetic Literacy Project - January 13th, 2021
- Chess Market: Global Strategies and Insight driven transformation 2020 2026 - SoccerNurds - January 13th, 2021
- Why Its Not Too Late to Learn New Skills - The New Yorker - January 13th, 2021
- Global Counter UAV Market 2020 Trends, Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies and Forecast 2025 - SoccerNurds - January 13th, 2021
- The Seedy Chess World of Queens Gambit Is the Shows Masterstroke - Observer - January 9th, 2021
- Chess Market Study by Global and Regional Analysis with Forecast | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS - NeighborWebSJ - January 9th, 2021
- How this Ontario woman's online chess school is getting young girls worldwide excited about the game - Toronto Star - January 9th, 2021
- Americans are living 30 years longer on average and that's a big plus for businesses - Palo Alto Online - January 9th, 2021
- From Text to Tablet: How to Learn in Lockdown - Global Citizen - January 9th, 2021
- Overcoming lockdowns and uncertainty to triumph at the end of a tough year - Neos Kosmos - January 9th, 2021
- Science-backed strategies to deal with stress and anxiety - World Economic Forum - January 9th, 2021
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Is About More Than Just Chess - Study Breaks - January 6th, 2021
- Barnegat's Kasey Keshecki is our Student of the Week - wobm.com - January 6th, 2021
- Film Study: The Ohio State Offense Was Prepared to Peak in the College Football Playoff | Eleven Warriors - Eleven Warriors - January 6th, 2021
- Chess Market Statistical Overview 2021-2026 with Industry Insights and Growth by ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron, Chessncrafts, Chessbazaar.com, and... - January 6th, 2021
- Global Used Construction Machinery Market Precise Scenario Covering Trends, Competitive Scenario, Business Opportunities and Growth Forecast during... - January 6th, 2021
- 2021 Could Be a Banner Year for AIIf We Solve These 4 Problems - Singularity Hub - January 6th, 2021
- Anti-UAV Defense System Market Analysis, Opportunities, Competition Scenario, Threats, Future Prospects, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To... - January 6th, 2021
- Global Chess Market to 2026 Industry Perspective, Comprehensive Analysis, and Forecast - Factory Gate - January 4th, 2021
- From the shadows into the light the man who broke the UFO embargo grew up in Sarasota - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 4th, 2021
- Six ways to reboot your brain after a hard year of Covid-19 according to science - iNews - January 4th, 2021
- Neuroscientists explain six ways to reboot your brain after a hard year of COVID-19 - PsyPost - January 4th, 2021
- Nithiin starrer Check first glimpse will leave you intrigued about his character | WATCH - Republic World - January 4th, 2021
- Good News Stories That Actually Made Us Smile in 2020 - Newsweek - January 4th, 2021
- Irelands modern druids: There is hidden knowledge you are asked not to share - The Irish Times - January 4th, 2021
- Keep Calm and QAnon - Slate - December 31st, 2020
- Beginners by Tom Vanderbilt review it's never too late to learn - The Guardian - December 31st, 2020
- Yes, 2020 was a historically hellish year. Now for the good news | TheHill - The Hill - December 31st, 2020
- Literature alights that was once burned books | Dec. 30 - Jan. 5, 2020 - Real Change News - December 31st, 2020
- Google DeepMind unveils AI that can master chess without even knowing the rules - The Independent - December 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Latest updates on COVID-19 crisis around the world - Outlook India - December 29th, 2020
- Chess Market 2020 Future Growth Analysis With Focusing Key Players | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron - Factory Gate - December 29th, 2020
- Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market Research Report (2020-2026): Key Trends and Opportunities |Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - Factory Gate - December 29th, 2020
- Kwanzaa in Louisville on heels of social justice movement - Alton Telegraph - December 29th, 2020
- The New China Challenge Stems from Beijings Old Ambitions - The National Interest - December 29th, 2020
- International Chess Market Opportunities And Forecast Analysis up to 2026 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS - The Monitor - December 29th, 2020
- WHO: Learn from COVID Pandemic, It Wont be the Last - Voice of America - December 27th, 2020
- How 'The Flight Attendant' and 'The Queen's Gambit' Are the Same - GQ - December 27th, 2020
- Online shopping is here to stay in 2021: Refinitiv - Yahoo Money - December 27th, 2020
- Many Jews refrain from learning Torah on Christmas Eve and call it Nittel Nacht. Here's my family tradition to spread light. - JTA News - Jewish... - December 26th, 2020
- Global Chess Market Demand, Revenue, Trends, Profit Analysis and Landscape Outlook to 2026|| The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron -... - December 26th, 2020
- The kings gambit: Viswanathan Anand enters a different phase of his career - Sportstar - December 26th, 2020
- 19 Calm Coffee Places In Beirut Where You Can Focus While Working - The961 - December 26th, 2020
- DeepMinds Latest AI Can Win Games Without Knowing the Rules - Beebom - December 26th, 2020
- Chess Table Market Size By Type, By Application, By Geography, By Top Companies And Forecast To 2027 - LionLowdown - December 26th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Counter UAV Industry 2020 Market Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - Factory Gate - December 23rd, 2020
- Bellamy Richardson The Williams Record - The Williams record - December 23rd, 2020
- Between the sacred and the secular - New Statesman - December 23rd, 2020
- In a winter of change, Eagles are learning that Jalen Hurts is no snowflake - NJ.com - December 22nd, 2020
- PhD grad uses math to explore the brain - ASU Now - December 22nd, 2020
- OPINION: Sometimes it's good to have a team - Arkansas Online - December 22nd, 2020
- Business is continuing its cloud migration. Train to become an Azure and AWS tech professional - The Next Web - December 22nd, 2020
- Staying On Top: How Chess Masters Study The Game ... - December 20th, 2020
- Struggling local entertainment venues: Its time for the state to show it CARES - Buffalo News - December 20th, 2020
- The best series and shows on Netflix in 2020 - RNZ - December 20th, 2020
- 21 Ways to Greater Well-Being in 2021 - Newswise - December 20th, 2020
- The Best Video Games of 2020 - The New Yorker - December 18th, 2020
- Memo to Blinken: Protect the brains of State Department employees - Federal News Network - December 18th, 2020
- Chadwick Boseman Gives His Final Performance in 'Ma Raineys Black Bottom', and It's Gut-Wrenching - Glamour - December 18th, 2020
- Chess Course for High Performance: Grandmaster Package - December 17th, 2020
- Reasons to study international studies and diplomacy - Modern Diplomacy - December 17th, 2020
- Global Chess Market Demand and Opportunities 2026|| Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast -... - December 16th, 2020
- What is a 'Flow State' and How Can MTBers Get Into It More Often? - Singletracks.com - December 16th, 2020
- This is why you make bad decisions on the golf course (and how to fix it) - Golf.com - December 16th, 2020
- Author Sophie Cousens talks about her book, 'This Time Next Year' - Yahoo! Voices - December 16th, 2020
- The board games market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of approx. 13% during the period 20212026 - GlobeNewswire - December 16th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: 10 Times Beth Is The Heroine Fans Needed - Screen Rant - December 15th, 2020
- Chelmsford High School October Students of the Month - Wicked Local - December 15th, 2020
- Struggling Museums Are Increasingly Relying on the Generosity of Artists to Convince Private Donors to Bail Them Out - artnet News - December 15th, 2020
- Warren Buffett's right-hand man discussed the 'frenzy' in stocks, technological shifts, and what makes a great investor in a recent interview. Here... - December 15th, 2020
- Making memories over a chess board - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - December 13th, 2020
- Looking to solve public health crises through discovery, Gates Foundation taps AI firm Exscientia to look for answers - Endpoints News - December 13th, 2020
- The Atlantic's 15 Best TV Shows of 2020 - The Atlantic - December 13th, 2020
- Five ways chess can help you buy and sell shares better - Interactive Investor - December 11th, 2020
- The Real Reasons All the Top Chess Players Are Men - Slate - December 11th, 2020
- Happy Birthday Anand in lockdown - Chessbase News - December 11th, 2020
- Science : Playing chess makes you smarter and other myths about intelligence that turned out to be false - Explica - December 11th, 2020
- 11 of the Best Books on Artificial Intelligence for Beginners, Business, and Beyond - Book Riot - December 11th, 2020
- ChessStudy.com Chess coaching with International Master ... - December 9th, 2020
- Anand to don the coachs hat - The Hindu - December 9th, 2020