Retired miner Mick Bott, a 73-year-old metal detectorist, found a rare complete set of Viking gaming pieces, which will be up for sale next week. He made the find in a field in Torksey, Lincolnshire, where Vikings were said to have formed a winter camp in AD 872.
According to history, the camp served as their defensive and strategic position during the winter as they prepared to invade England.
The Viking chess pieces were part of a board game called Hnefatafl, a strategic board game similar to chess and were popular among soldiers in-charge of teaching battlefield strategy.
It will be auctioned at the London-based Dix Noonan Webb(DNW) on Tuesday, September 15, and is expected to sell for $1,299 (1,000).
Rare Viking Chess Pieces
Metal detectorist Bott had been collecting items for two decades at the field where he found the Viking chess pieces. According to the experts in DNW, Bott came to them, bringing a plastic bag full of Viking relics unsure of their value.
Aside from the Viking chess pieces, Bott also found some coins, strap ends, mounts, brooches, and lead dates, which can be traced back in the 9th century. The research on these findings were published in 2016 in the Antiquaries Journal.
A closer inspection of the lead weights and a comparison between the same Viking game pieces in the Oslo Museumconfirmed that they were indeed pieces from such board game, Mills said. He added that the pieces seem like a time capsule from when Vikings would use to play this game a thousand years ago.
Experts at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge have also verified the said pieces that were authentic pieces of the Viking chess. Mills remarked that it is impressive to have all 37 pieces found at the same time because usually, they are found only after returning several times at the site for over a long period of time.
DNW commissioned a board to be handmade made from timber since its original board was not found, and it will be included in the auction. That means, whoever wins the bid for this Viking chess will be playing the same pieces that Vikings used over 1,150 years ago.
READ: Viking Stock: Norse Horse Can Withstand Iceland's Elements All Year-Round
According to Mills, Scandinavian players of Hnefatafl would use polished stones instead of lead as it deteriorates in the extreme cold, and they do not have access to it. But it seems that they have access to lead in Torksey, where the Viking chess pieces were found, so it was easier to make them.
Hnefatafl popularity peaked during the Dark Ages in Northern Europe, which has developed over the last centuries until it has now come to new variants under the term 'Tafl,' which is played like a chess game with two players and the pieces follow a distinct pattern.
Each Hnefatafl set consists of 37 pieces, in which 12 are for defense in turreted form, 24 attacking pieces in a spherical form, and a king with a copper decoration.
Just like in chess, an opponent's piece is removed from the board once the enemy pieces occupy two opposite squares. But as opposed to chess, the enemy needs to sandwich the piece on opposite sides to land on the same square.
The game's purpose is for the defender to move one of his or her king to the corner squares while the attacker prevents it from moving by surrounding the king in all four sides.
Experts said that the game was very strategic, and it is the first time that a complete set is found at the same time. The Viking chess discovered by Bott will be auctioned on Tuesday at 1 pm with a starting price of $1039 (800).
READ MORE: Archaeologists Unearthed Oldest Viking Settlement in Iceland Decades Before They Are Supposed to Settle in the Island
Check out more news and information on Vikingson Science Times.
Read the rest here:
- COVID-19 Is Driving The Uptake Of Chess -- And Of Surveillance Tools To Stop Online Players Cheating - Techdirt - October 21st, 2020
- TV review: You dont have to know how to play chess in order to enjoy The Queens Gambit - Kewanee Star Courier - October 21st, 2020
- Photos/Video: First Look at the Russian Premiere of CHESS The Musical - Broadway World - October 21st, 2020
- Irish Seeking to Win Power Play Chess Match in Red Zone - 247Sports - October 21st, 2020
- A young chess grandmaster leads the game of kings to a glorious future on Twitch - Yahoo! Voices - October 21st, 2020
- Ladies Knight with guests Robin and Sarah Ramson [PODCAST] - uschess.org - October 21st, 2020
- GM Joey Antonio still the king of online chess tourneys - Manila Bulletin - October 21st, 2020
- The chess frontage of Simpsons in the Strand - IanVisits - October 21st, 2020
- Andover 17-year-old competing in national chess championship - Boston 25 News - October 21st, 2020
- Cebuano journo Jobanie Tabada wins National Executive Chess Online tilt - PhilBoxing.com - October 21st, 2020
- Asian Online Team Chess: India finishes 6th in preliminary round, qualifies for quarterfinals - The Indian Express - October 19th, 2020
- Chess vs football: the vital distinction in lockdown strategy - Spectator.co.uk - October 19th, 2020
- Chess and bees - TheArticle - October 17th, 2020
- Asian Online team chess: India women in joint lead - The Tribune - October 17th, 2020
- What Anya Taylor-Joy Learned About Chess and Alcoholism for The Queens Gambit - Observer - October 17th, 2020
- Asian Online Chess: Indian men in 4th position after six rounds - The Bridge - October 17th, 2020
- Asian Online Team Chess: Indian men in 4th spot after six rounds - The Indian Express - October 16th, 2020
- Nominating Committee Announces Call for Interest for Executive Board Candidates - uschess.org - October 16th, 2020
- Boston Artisan Launches App to Revolutionize the Game of Chess - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2020
- What's Going On With The Chess Piece? - The University News - October 16th, 2020
- In the press - Turkey's Chess Game, QAnon in Europe and Nadal the Great - FRANCE 24 - October 14th, 2020
- Anti-Chess: The Most Exciting Moment In Karpov Vs Korchnoi - Chess.com - October 11th, 2020
- Chess site chooses ten best moves of all time - Stabroek News - October 11th, 2020
- Indias Nihal Sarin wins Junior Speed Chess Championship - The Indian Express - October 11th, 2020
- Growing with golf and chess - Chessbase News - October 8th, 2020
- Archive, 1990: Garry Kasparov is ready to pounce - The Guardian - October 8th, 2020
- Chess Tournament Winner Banned, Says Opponent "Was Doing Pipi In Their Pampers" - Kotaku - October 8th, 2020
- 2020 U.S. Amateur Team Championship Goes to the South - uschess.org - October 8th, 2020
- Trump just kicked over the chess board: GOP faces an election with more pain - POLITICO - October 8th, 2020
- Checkmate, quarantine: Chess Club thrives in the Zoom era - The Williams record - October 8th, 2020
- Abdusattorov Wins 19th Speed Chess Grand Prix - Chess.com - October 8th, 2020
- Lyricist Tim Rice Thinks CHESS Could Make a Broadway Comeback - Broadway World - October 8th, 2020
- The Check is in the Mail: October 2020 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - October 8th, 2020
- Ravens News 10/7: Chess Match and more - Baltimore Beatdown - October 8th, 2020
- Chess success with one team leading Andalucian First Division - Euro Weekly News - October 5th, 2020
- Pictures of people playing chess in Hampshire through the years - Daily Echo - October 3rd, 2020
- Hit traps and peel switches: The two chess moves that ended a Rockets era - The Athletic - October 3rd, 2020
- In the News: WebsterVOTES, Woody Cooper, Kaiser, chess alumni - Webster University Newsroom - October 3rd, 2020
- Gone too soon: Brimfield teen remembered as jokester and expert chess player - Pekin Daily Times - October 3rd, 2020
- This is not a game of chess, it's a war! - Grenfell Record and Bland Advertiser - October 1st, 2020
- 'Audiences wont have seen anything like this': how Iranian film Chess of the Wind was reborn - The Guardian - September 30th, 2020
- Harry Potter and the Uncredited Creator of That Chess Scene - The Film Magazine - September 30th, 2020
- Thames Water vows action to prevent sewage discharges at River Chess - Watford Observer - September 30th, 2020
- Executive Board Nominating Committee Election | US Chess.org - uschess.org - September 29th, 2020
- Top female chess referee who fled Iran reveals her Jewish roots - The Jewish Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- The best chess websites for playing, watching, and keeping up with the news - Financial Times - September 28th, 2020
- 'I couldn't tolerate it any longer': how Iranian chess referee with secret Jewish heritage was forced to live a 'fake' life - Telegraph.co.uk - September 28th, 2020
- Pendragon review: chess and Arthurian legend collide to generate stories both beautiful and tragic - NME - September 26th, 2020
- Playing chess with the Pearl Royale is the ultimate flex of extravagance - Men's Gear - September 26th, 2020
- This is not a game of chess, it's a war! - The Young Witness - September 26th, 2020
- IM Shahade to Lead Girls Club Zoom on Opening Preparation. - uschess.org - September 24th, 2020
- Full list of EVERY character in Auto Brawl Chess: Battle Royale - Pocket Gamer - September 24th, 2020
- Will Trump play checkers or chess with nomination? - al.com - September 24th, 2020
- Local chess ace targets top spot - The Voice Online - September 24th, 2020
- Is the ban on WeChat the first move in a diplomatic chess game? - MercatorNet - September 24th, 2020
- Road To The PCL Finals: China Pandas - Chess.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Russias Post-Covid Economic Policies Will Be a Game of Chess - ETF Trends - September 23rd, 2020
- CHESS Health Selected by Next Step Community, an Addiction Recovery Program Located in Terre Haute, Indiana - PR Web - September 23rd, 2020
- On the origins of chess (7/7) - Chessbase News - September 22nd, 2020
- Ten Years of Chess Innovation. How Lichess grew from a simple tech | by Samuel Sullivan | SUPERJUMP | Sep, 2020 - Medium - September 20th, 2020
- 24th wedding anniversary online chess tilt - PhilBoxing.com - September 20th, 2020
- Road To The PCL Finals: Armenia Eagles - Chess.com - September 20th, 2020
- 2020 Collegiate Rapid & Blitz - Sept 26-27, and it's free! - uschess.org - September 19th, 2020
- Road To The PCL Finals: Canada Chessbrahs - Chess.com - September 19th, 2020
- The ongoing online Renaissance in the world of Chess - Sportskeeda - September 16th, 2020
- John Leguizamo on bringing the 'intellectual hustle' of chess to life - Page Six - September 16th, 2020
- John Leguizamo Plays a Round of Chess in N.Y.C., Plus Mindy Kaling, Justin Bieber and More - PEOPLE - September 16th, 2020
- An interview with Ben Johnson, the perpetual podcaster - Chessbase News - September 15th, 2020
- Chess masters make all the smart moves - IOL - September 15th, 2020
- Reward Olympiad-winning Indian team: Chess Forum appeals to Kiren Rijiju - Moneycontrol.com - September 15th, 2020
- Chinas check on Indias chess board: New Delhi will have to fall back on its own resources - The Times of India Blog - September 13th, 2020
- The classic game of chess has found a new home: Twitch - The Next Web - September 13th, 2020
- Chess builds critical thinking M'membe The Mast Online - themastonline.com - September 13th, 2020
- The Best In - Brazil - Chessbase News - September 13th, 2020
- Reward the Olympiad gold winning chess team: Chess Players Forum - IANS - September 13th, 2020
- Team Fiji beat Surbiton and Geelong in Online Chess - FBC News - September 12th, 2020
- A game of chess in the Himalayas - The Hindu - September 12th, 2020
- AI Ruined Chess. Now, It's Making the Recreation Lovely Once more - Editorials 360 - September 12th, 2020
- 'He is a chess player on a tennis court' - ATP star tipped to beat anyone - Tennishead - September 11th, 2020
- Elon Musk On Tesla's Approach To Innovation: Don't Play With The Same Old Chess Pieces - Yahoo Finance - September 11th, 2020