I think weve got Scott Zolak right around the corner if we really need to do that, Belichick said, hardly hiding his grin at the thought of the quarterback-turned-analyst being on call. So hopefully hell be ready to go if we need him.
The Patriots open an unprecedented regular season Sunday against the Dolphins after returning for training camp last month.
Everybodys on the same boat on this, and there are really just a lot of unknowns, Belichick said. You can take several different approaches. I dont know if theres a right or wrong answer. I think everybodys going to do what they thinks best based on their situation.
"Weve talked about various scenarios and how to best maintain the depth and quality of our team, but again theres a lot of things we cant predict. So well just have to see how it plays out.
I think were ready to do some things if we feel the need to do them. At this time, I feel like were OK for where we are, but that could change.
Belichick applauded the organization from players and coaches to support staff for carrying itself in a professional manner as it navigated protocols put in place because of the pandemic.
I think these guys really handled things very professionally, Belichick said. "They understood the things that they needed to do both individually and what we needed to do as a team. There are a lot of new policies, protocols.
"Just the daily routine, things changed quite a bit from what guys around here had been used to. Guys that were new coming in maybe didnt know what our routine was, but they had to adapt to the routine that was different from wherever it was they came from that includes the coaches and all the other support people and so forth. We adjusted as we went.
We made some changes from the first day and couple days and first week and so forth, so it was very much of an ongoing process and that may occur now too as we get into the regular season."
A hard-to-read QB
For as many times as the Patriots have faced Dolphins quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick over his 15-year career, Belichick said hes still never certain what he might see.
Hes a little unpredictable, Belichick said. So that just makes him a little more difficult to defend because of his versatility and his ability to, with confidence, attack weaknesses that the defense presents.
The only quarterback to face the Patriots more times in the Belichick Era than Fitzpatrick (13 games) was Peyton Manning (15). Fitzpatrick is 3-10 against New England, with 21 touchdown passes, 22 interceptions, and an 80.5 passer rating. But he capped last season with a 28-for 41, 320-yard performance that lifted Miami to a 27-24 win over the Patriots.
Ryans a smart player, very experienced player, and a very instinctive player, Belichick said. He does things on the field that are done through instinct and experience and confidence. So every situations a little bit different.
Youve got to be kind of careful of overplaying him because hell take advantage of those situations where you overplay him in one way or another.
After three years away from the game, Chan Gailey returns to a familiar role as the Dolphins offensive coordinator.
Gaileys NFL experience goes back to his days as tights ends and special teams coach with the Dolphins in 1985. He retired in 2017 after a stint with the Jets.
Over the years, he and Belichick have had plenty of chess matches. Seeing each other again to start the season adds another wrinkle to an unusual year, Belichick said.
There are always a lot of variables on opening day, and there are even more this year for a number of reasons, and that would be another one, Belichick said. "Chans had a lot of success in this league of running his style of offense.
"He may modify that some and do something that would take advantage of Miamis personnel or maybe philosophically he has some different ideas than when we saw him at the Jets most recently.
How he decides to attack us versus how he might attack someone else, those are all unknowns, so it just adds to the intrigue of the opening day."
Julian Benbow can be reached at email@example.com.
- The Queens Gambit Review: Beyond an Impeccable Anya Taylor-Joy, Netflixs Tricky Ploy Pays Off - IndieWire - October 24th, 2020
- Durga Puja in 1930s: When theatre, music, chess contest played out in Patna - Outlook India - October 24th, 2020
- Guernsey, Greenwich, Garfunkel's and Ghosts at the Union - Southwark News - October 24th, 2020
- With a game built to thrive in today's NHL, Matt Grzelcyk can (& should) deliver in top-pairing role for Bruins - bostonsportsjournal.com - October 21st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Star Anya Taylor-Joy on Making Chess Riveting TV - TV Insider - October 21st, 2020
- Task Force Illini creates Mobile Training Team to prepare Ukrainian rotational units - United States Army - October 21st, 2020
- Mozart of psychology': How Lev Vygotsky helped shape modern thinking - Russia Beyond - October 21st, 2020
- Chinese kids are giving it all to succeed - The Herald - October 17th, 2020
- Drive Poll - Would The NFL Pause Season To Fight COVID-19? - 929theticket.com - October 16th, 2020
- Arlington Community Education announces upcoming classes - Fall River Herald News - October 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 Transforms Education, Health And Fitness Delivery Services, Opens Doors For IT-Like Growth Trajectory - Swarajya - October 16th, 2020
- Pushed beyond their limit - The Star Online - October 14th, 2020
- Wausau mayor Katie Rosenberg emerges as a new voice in Wis. progressive politics - OnMilwaukee.com - October 8th, 2020
- AdvanceClub Launches to Inspire and Advance Esports Gamers of All Skill Levels - GlobeNewswire - October 8th, 2020
- How can the 49ers Clean up Their Offensive Line Woes? - Sports Illustrated - October 7th, 2020
- In cancelling GLOW, Netflix deals a body blow to representation - Forward - October 7th, 2020
- The strange flexibility of boundaries: population and other limits in strategy games - Gamasutra - October 7th, 2020
- Trump testing positive for Covid-19 means the president's health is in danger, not U.S. security - NBC News - October 7th, 2020
- Visually impaired chess champion Soundarya Pradhan teaching the game online during lockdown - The Bridge - October 3rd, 2020
- Surrounded by sea and sky: the irresistible draw of islands - Spectator.co.uk - October 1st, 2020
- NATO Air Defense Forces Integrate in the Baltics - United States Army - September 29th, 2020
- 13 L/stone pupils enlisted for Chess24 The Mast Online - themastonline.com - September 26th, 2020
- Dominick Reyes ready to 'right what was wrong' in controversial Jones loss with 'life changing' second chance at UFC 253 - Brinkwire - September 26th, 2020
- Mailbag: Should the Patriots be in the linebacker, receiver market? - Pats Pulpit - September 24th, 2020
- In 'The Zoom Where it Happens,' Adia Barnes learned tips that could make Wildcats a hoops hit - Arizona Daily Star - September 24th, 2020
- 49ers well-positioned to withstand Raheem Mostert, Tevin Coleman injuries - Yahoo Sports - September 23rd, 2020
- PH bets will have mountain to climb in Vietnam SEA Games - Tempo - September 23rd, 2020
- Microsoft Scores Exclusive License to the Much-Hyped GPT-3 Language Model - Voicebot.ai - September 23rd, 2020
- Judy Kuhn - The Seth Concert Series | Review - London Theatre 1 - September 22nd, 2020
- Late night preparations behind Indian Grandmaster P Iniyans World Open glory - The New Indian Express - September 19th, 2020
- Non-contact sports return as resumption of sports calendar is released - Kenya Broadcasting Corporation - September 19th, 2020
- DMU at 150: The 10 oddest things in the DMU archives - De Montfort University - September 19th, 2020
- What is CBM? Here's the answer! - Chessbase News - September 16th, 2020
- Are ozeki Asanoyama's struggles all in his head? - The Japan Times - September 16th, 2020
- Canada's long-term foreign policy intentions need a clearer narrative - Policy Options - September 16th, 2020
- When to Give Legal Rights to AIs? When They Can Dream - JD Supra - September 16th, 2020
- Toby Chess: 40-Plus Years of Service to the Industry He Loves - Autobody News - September 15th, 2020
- Pokemon Go Meets Game Of Thrones: The Playstyle Of The Main Characters - Screen Rant - September 15th, 2020
- Babe Laufenberg says Mike McCarthy will face a unique challenge with the Cowboys that he didnt in Green Bay - The Dallas Morning News - September 13th, 2020
- Spera: The Saints in the Superdome without fans will be weird, but still worth watching - NOLA.com - September 13th, 2020
- 49ers vs. Cardinals preview: What to expect when the 49ers are on defense against the Cardinals - Niners Nation - September 12th, 2020
- Will Robert Quinn be a rotational player in Week One for Chicago Bears? - Bear Goggles On - September 11th, 2020
- Update on the latest sports - KESQ - September 11th, 2020
- The Bay Area has a thrilling new Instagram pastry scene. Here are three to try - San Francisco Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- No Danielle Hunter has the Packers breathing a sigh of relief - Acme Packing Company - September 11th, 2020
- Dwayne Haskins loves a challenge. His second season with Washington will be one. - Washington Times - September 11th, 2020
- What to expect when the 49ers have the ball against the Cardinals defense - MSN Money - September 11th, 2020
- What's the worst Bradford City kit of all time? - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - September 9th, 2020
- Ancient boardgames: Experts find the missing piece (but can't figure out how to play) - Middle East Eye - September 9th, 2020
- The Cardinals believe they can unleash Kliff Kingsburys offense in 2020 - Arizona Sports - September 9th, 2020
- The Minnesota Vikings are Banking on Continuity and Experience to Improve the Offensive Line - Zone Coverage - September 9th, 2020
- Player-by-player breakdown of the Patriots full 69-man roster - 98.5 The Sports Hub - September 8th, 2020
- Competitive Chess and Advanced Math Training this FALL - ONLINE! - Ridgewood, NJ - patch.com - September 7th, 2020
- Benefits of education - The News International - September 7th, 2020
- Room with a view: US Open seeds get taste of the suite life - NBC Sports - Misc. - September 5th, 2020
- Competitive Chess and Advanced Math Training this FALL - ONLINE! - Patch.com - September 5th, 2020
- Teachers Day 2020: Heres a look at the best teachers of Indian Sports - The Bridge - September 5th, 2020
- Jordan Reed, Trent Williams and 49ers' missing pieces get rave reviews - Yahoo Sports - September 5th, 2020
- Room with a view: US Open seeds get taste of the suite life - Rome Sentinel - September 5th, 2020
- Training in Chess and Advanced Math starts this FALL - ONLINE! - Patch.com - September 4th, 2020
- Arizona Cardinals have a chance to deploy Isaiah Simmons in a number of ways - Revenge of the Birds - September 4th, 2020
- Bird Droppings: Larry Fitzgerald sits, defensive line improvements, decision on Haason Reddick looms and more - Revenge of the Birds - September 4th, 2020
- Reed, Williams and 49ers' missing pieces get glowing reviews - Comcast SportsNet Bay Area - September 3rd, 2020
- List Of All Sports Disciplines For Direct Recruitment Of Sportspersons In Government Jobs - NDTV - September 3rd, 2020
- What the Andre Smith Trade Means For Panthers' Roster - Sports Illustrated - September 1st, 2020
- Chess Olympiad: Vidit Gujrathi on how he led India to its first-ever gold medal - Livemint - September 1st, 2020
- Pre-Dinner Stress: After School Clubs to the Rescue - Patch.com - September 1st, 2020
- Messi does not intend to meet with Bartomeu but will attend training - MARCA.com - August 29th, 2020
- Promoter Wants Eleider Alvarez To Think Over Career Before Retirement Decision - BoxingScene.com - August 27th, 2020
- Arlington Community Education to offer new classes this fall - Wicked Local Arlington - August 27th, 2020
- Cowboys training camp practice number eight updates: Chidobe Awuzie, other corners are showing up in practice - Blogging The Boys - August 27th, 2020
- The geopolitical transformation of the Middle East - Asia Times - August 27th, 2020
- Boys State Is Civility Propaganda of the Highest Order - TheStranger.com - August 25th, 2020
- Where the Patriots training camp competitions stand after one week - Pats Pulpit - August 25th, 2020
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - August 25th, 2020
- Kenya's greatest snooker player Ramji living the dream - Daily Nation - August 22nd, 2020
- Athlete's perspective: How COVID-19 impacted a U.S. Olympic hopeful from Mansfield - Richland Source - August 21st, 2020
- Rams' rookie safeties have made their mark early in camp - Rams Wire - August 21st, 2020
- Learning music does not increase your cognitive abilities or the beauty of the useless - Explica - August 20th, 2020
- MasterClass Announces New Class on Ukulele with Virtuoso and Composer Jake Shimabukuro - PRNewswire - August 20th, 2020