Such is their incomparable strength in depth that, as ever, Leinster will have a raft of tricky selections to ponder over before finalising their side to face Ulster in Saturdays Guinness Pro14 final at the Aviva Stadium. Not the least of those will be in the secondrow on the fairly safe premise that James Ryan returns to the engine room.
The 24-year-old hasnt played since rugbys return due to a shoulder injury sustained in training which required a procedure, and has actually been restricted to just one appearance in the Pro14 in the 2019-20 season. But apparently Ryan had been pencilled in for a return against Munster last week and thus looks sure to start against Ulster.
Its always great to have players like James available, and hes been looking good, said the Leinster backs coach Felipe Contepomi on Monday. I think hes a guy with such a quality that if hes fit it just shows the quality of the player he is, and hes made a really good recovery. So Im glad for him and hopefully he can be part of it on the weekend.
If, as youd also expect, Ryan is straining at the leash, he doesnt let it show unduly, according to Contepomi. For his young age hes so mature that he really has a lot of self control and an understanding of the situation.
Probably hes bursting inside to go and raring to go, but he shows that poise and calmness of a 30-plus-year-old and hes only 20-plus.
By contrast, Contepomi admitted the prospects of a return for Tadhg Furlong and Dan Leavy would be clearer later in the week.
But this being a final, Leinster will again put out what they believe is their best available XV and matchday 23.
There are a lot of variables we have to look at and its not about rotation, its about getting who is ready to go and to do a job for the whole 53 players that took us to that final, added Contepomi.
Unfortunately its only 23 that will be able to step onto the pitch, but they represent 53 players that made a huge effort throughout the whole year for us to be where we are now.
So its a good place to be at the moment, in terms of they understand exactly the guys that are playing are the luckiest ones or the ones that got the nod. But its very hard to make some decisions there, theyre so, so tight. But thats life, thats the way it is.
Leinster still arent doing cartwheels over their performance in last Fridays 13-3 semi-final win over Munster.
What we need to learn, is not to get dragged into a game of contestable box kicks fest. There has to be more space, ventured Contepomi.
Actually when you analyse the game, we didnt have much time with the ball but the time we had, we had some good attacks. The new interpretation of the law is posing those questions of the risk-reward, how much you play, how much you can play.
Sometimes I think well find more teams that come with tactics like Munster used against us last Friday. We cant control that, its their tactics. What we can do is how we deal with those tactics a bit better and take teams to where we feel more comfortable, playing a more expansive sort of game, said the Leinster backs coach, noting that the ball in play time was down from the usual 38/39 minutes to 32/33 in what he called a very chess-like game.
Akin to that Munster rematch, Leinster beat Ulster two weeks ago, but the latters thrilling and daring comeback win away to Edinburgh was a reminder that, a la last seasons white knuckle ride in the Champions Cup quarter-final, and even the 54-42 romp at the RDS last December, Ulster will have a go.
That quarter-final, it was a hell of a game and they definitely are a much better team now even than they were that day. It was so even, I think they were probably even a bit unlucky that day, admitted Contepomi.
Ulster for me are definitely one of the best sides in the league, and one of the best side in Europe, in terms of the balance theyve got. They have a very well-coached defence by Jared Payne; a very good attack with Dwayne Peel there, and Dan [McFarland] with the skills.
Theyre a skilful team, a powerful team, they have punch going forwards, theyre a very complete team if you see them and theyve been building. Its not like they came from nowhere and suddenly theyre in the final.
Theyve been building for the last few years and with Dan we can expect them to be really firing up front, a good scrum and maul. Theyre a very complete side and when you analyse them, when you scout them, its hard to find any real weaknesses.
We know that to beat them well need to go for 80 minutes from minute one because theyre a side that doesnt give up, but not only that they play really good rugby, with and without the ball.
So Im expecting a really big, big challenge from them and we need to step up one or two gears to be able to win the game.
Read the original:
- Businesses offer help as problems remain in Texas from winter storm - Yahoo News - February 20th, 2021
- Wet Start To The Weekend - Yahoo News - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (2) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- What is the secret of Wesley So's success? An interview - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Five Issues Washington Should Consider In Reviewing A Lockheed-Aerojet Merger - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence And The End Of Work - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- Why Ricciardo said 'yes' to McLaren the second time they asked RaceFans - RaceFans - February 17th, 2021
- Opera Euro Rapid SF: Carlsen and So reach the final - Chessbase News - February 15th, 2021
- Letters: 'Darlington Borough Council has a terrible record of looking after heritage sites, maybe they shouldn't keep Locomotion No 1' - The Northern... - February 12th, 2021
- Fat Fritz 2.0 - The new number 1 - Chessbase News - February 10th, 2021
- 25 Years Ago, Chess Changed Forever When Deep Blue Beat Garry Kasparov - Slate - February 10th, 2021
- Chess In The COVID Era | Webster Kirkwood Times | timesnewspapers.com - Webster-Kirkwood Times, Inc. - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Things We Want From The Legend Of Zelda's 35th Anniversary - TheGamer - February 7th, 2021
- Travis Kelce is the best tight end in football. Just ask any NFL player. - The Union Leader - February 7th, 2021
- 120 things you probably didn't know were created by Black inventors | Venture - Daily Hive - February 6th, 2021
- Red Sox Truck Day approaches and theres a different feeling in the air - BoSox Injection - February 4th, 2021
- The future is augmented - The Bookseller - February 4th, 2021
- How to Use a Chess Engine? Your Quick & Effective Guide - February 3rd, 2021
- Stockfish+NNUE, Strongest Chess Engine Ever, To Compete In ... - February 3rd, 2021
- Top Chess Engine Championship - Wikipedia - January 30th, 2021
- Building My Own Chess Engine Andrew Healey - January 30th, 2021
- Stockfish Chess Engine Download - softpedia - January 30th, 2021
- Play Online Chess at Caissa's Web - January 30th, 2021
- Alto AMT Should it be back? - MotorOctane - MotorOctane - January 30th, 2021
- Does the rift in AI matter to marketing? - MarTech Today - January 30th, 2021
- Scientists say dropping acid can help with social anxiety and alcoholism - The Next Web - January 28th, 2021
- Meet Yash Aradhya, a Bengaluru Formula 4 racer and a recipient of the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar - EdexLive - January 25th, 2021
- Dancing, vacuuming, learning: What's next for robots and their creators? - ASU Now - January 23rd, 2021
- Signature Theatre announces cast and dates for 'Simply Sondheim' review - DC Metro Theater Arts - January 23rd, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World', 'Shadow Gangs', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - January 15th, 2021
- Their Uniforms Say Ohio State and Alabama. The Players Are From Everywhere. - The Wall Street Journal - January 13th, 2021
- Ziggurat Interactive Releases First Retro First Friday Pack Of 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - January 9th, 2021
- TV tonight: another day in paradise for detective Ralf Little - The Guardian - January 9th, 2021
- The Board Games Global Market is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 13% Between 2021 to 2026 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- 50 Best TV Shows To Watch In 2021 - Highest Rated Television Series - OtakuKart - OtakuKart - December 29th, 2020
- Red Bull think they have secret weapon to catch Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas | F1 | Sport - TechnoCodex - December 23rd, 2020
- HBO's Industry creators and Myha'la Herrold break down season 1 finale - Entertainment Weekly - December 22nd, 2020
- Research at Microsoft 2020: Addressing the present while looking to the future - Microsoft - December 22nd, 2020
- Deals of the Week, December 11 to 18 Growth Business roundup - GrowthBusiness.co.uk - December 18th, 2020
- Turns Out Its Pretty Good: Doomscrolling - The Cut - December 18th, 2020
- A Letter to My Kids - The Good Men Project - December 15th, 2020
- Yakuza Remastered Collection On The Way For Xbox & PC - Bleeding Cool News - December 13th, 2020
- Hitman 3 Gets A New Trailer Showing Off The Features - Bleeding Cool News - December 9th, 2020
- Reflections on 40 years: thanks for the memories (we can remember) - NOLA.com - December 9th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review: The Pricing Conundrum - Tom's Hardware - December 8th, 2020
- AI has almost solved one of biologys greatest challenges how protein unfolds - ThePrint - December 8th, 2020
- Demis Hassabis interview: the kid from the comp who founded DeepMind and cracked a mighty riddle of science - The Times - December 6th, 2020
- Online Chess and Working from Home - Chessbase News - December 5th, 2020
- Full Fischer film in YouTube - Chessbase News - December 5th, 2020
- New C360 CEO Howard Wright Sees Broadcast Tech Putting Fans on the Field of Play - Sports Video Group - December 5th, 2020
- This is what would happen if a Hind took on a Cobra - We Are The Mighty - December 5th, 2020
- Hyundai Takes The Wraps Off Its E-GMP Electric Car Platform - CleanTechnica - December 3rd, 2020
- Top 9 Reasons to Rent an RV when you traveling - The Dubrovnik Times - December 3rd, 2020
- Akron flashback: Some childhood toys you never forget - Akron Beacon Journal - December 1st, 2020
- 24 Comments on GM is Paying Cadillac Dealers to Ditch the Brand... - The Truth About Cars - November 29th, 2020
- Skilling Open QF2: Day of the Comebacks - chess24 - November 27th, 2020
- Jelurida Announces Bridge Champ, an On-Chain Version of the Famous Card Game - IT News Online - November 27th, 2020
- The 37 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 27th, 2020
- The Joylessness of Cooking - The New Yorker - November 27th, 2020
- The Big Bang Theory: 10 Hidden Details About Penny That Everyone Missed - Screen Rant - November 26th, 2020
- Hitman 3 Reveals A New Location With Chongqing, China - Bleeding Cool News - November 25th, 2020
- Conte and Zidane remain best of friends ahead of San Siro reunion - MSN UK - November 25th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Review: The Mainstream Knockout - Tom's Hardware - November 24th, 2020
- What's Next In AI, Chips And Masks - SemiEngineering - November 20th, 2020
- NFL Week 11: Picks and preview - Yardbarker - November 20th, 2020
- 2020 NBA Draft: Sam Vecenie's likes and dislikes - The Athletic - November 20th, 2020
- We have free android games and apps Birmingham Alive - Birmingham Alive - November 18th, 2020
- Remembering When the Memories Are No Longer Our Own - War on the Rocks - November 12th, 2020
- How To Learn Chess By Yourself: Best Apps And More - Goosed.ie - November 10th, 2020
- So Beats Abdusattorov In Speed Chess Match - Chess.com - November 10th, 2020
- Truss the process: How the Ravens turned a strange week into their biggest win of the season - Baltimore Sun - November 10th, 2020
- 2020 European MotoGP Results and News - Cycle News - November 10th, 2020
- Star Renegades Will Be Coming To Consoles Later This Month - Bleeding Cool News - November 10th, 2020
- Why a great teacher can make all the difference - Blogdottv - November 10th, 2020
- How Disney Helped Fans Live Their Star Wars Stories - Theme Park Insider - November 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence, the reality behind the runaway - Pledge Times - November 8th, 2020
- 8 Comments on Bugatti Bolide's Claimed Nurburing Time Isn't Real... - The Truth About Cars - October 30th, 2020
- What happened at the Badger Fire? - Times-News - October 30th, 2020
- Red Bull hopes 'Balance of Performance' plan will win rivals over to engine freeze - RaceFans - October 28th, 2020
- Rybka - Wikipedia - October 28th, 2020