TikTok has less than two weeks before it must sell or shutter its U.S. operationsat least according to the Trump administration, citing national security concerns.
The social media app, which gained an initial following with teens sharing dance videos before becoming an international sensation, will be required to shut down in the U.S. if it doesnt sell by Sept. 15.
What happens next is unclear. But what is clear is that the sites future has become one of the tech industry biggest dramas in years.
It involves Trump battling with Chinas government over foreign trade. It also involves some of the biggest U.S. companiesOracle[/hotlink], Microsoft, and Walmartlining up as suitors in an effort to gain an edge over their rivals.
For its part, ByteDance, TikToks Chinese owner, is caught in the middle.
Its between a rock and hard place, frankly, Mark Shmulik, an analyst at investment bank AB Bernstein. Its a very unenviable place to be.
In an effort to escape its predicament, TikTok has sued the Trump administration, which it says has deprived it of due process. Meanwhile, Chinas government has entered the fight by enacting a new law that would require any sale of TikTok to first be approved by Beijing.
Heres everything you need to know about TikTok and moment of reckoning.
The big companies bidding on TikTok would benefit from the apps young user base, ad capabilities, and e-commerce potential. Of the apps 100 million monthly U.S. users, most are teens, a demographic many brands want to reach.
Meanwhile, social commerce, the emerging business of selling products through social media, is a growth opportunity. ByteDance already has its eyes on that business and is pushing TikTok and Douyin, its sister site in China, to add more e-commerce.
This is the future, Shmulik said about social commerce. Legacy companies want to participate in the future. And If you cant build, it buy it.
In recent years, Walmart has been beefing up its e-commerce arm and reach new customers. Meanwhile, Microsoft already has a social media businessLinkedInand has the technical chops to build a social commerce operation.
So if [social commerce] is the future of e-shopping, what more perfect combination is there than a retailer like Walmart and Microsoft? Shmulik said.
Michael Lasser, an analyst at investment bank UBS, said the joint Walmart-Microsoft bid may ultimately lead to Walmart accomplishing one of its key goals. Capturing more hearts and minds of the younger generation is a really an important part of Walmarts outlook, Lasser said.
But there also could something else at play: Walmart is increasingly challenging Amazons dominance in online retailing by growing its own online business during the pandemic and rolling out a subscription service called Walmart+ that mimics Amazons popular Prime. Meanwhile, Microsoft is also butting heads with Amazon over cloud computing, the gigantic business that involves supplying data center computing power to corporate customers.
The combination of Walmart and Microsoft would represent two companies going up against a common enemy, said Tom Keiser, CEO of Hootsuite, a tool that helps people manage their social media. And this wouldnt be the first time the two have teamed up. Walmart chose Microsoft Azure as its cloud provider in 2018.
Retailers have always had a deep mistrust for Amazon, Keiser said. That has spilled into AWS.
Trump has long complained about Chinas trade practices, which he says have unfairly benefitted China. His concerns: U.S. companies have limited access to operate in China, while Chinese companies operate freely in the U.S. Hes also worried about the theft of intellectual property from U.S. companies and the access the Chinese government may have to data collected from the U.S.
When U.S. operations arent allowed to operate [the same way] in China, but the reverse is true, its a very real argument we probably should be having anyway, Shmulik said.
But young TikTokers may have put Trumps sights on TikTok by allegedly sabotaging his campaign rally in Tulsa in June. TikTok teens along with Korean pop fans claim to have registered for hundreds of thousands of tickets so that the arenas seats would remain empty. As a result, only about 6,000 people attended the event, and Trump ended up canceling a second rally in Tulsa that was scheduled for the following night. Trump now may be seeking payback.
Meanwhile, Trump has expressed concern over what the Chinese government may do with data TikTok collects from U.S. users and the threat that could pose for national security. In June, India, citing similar concerns, banned TikTok and other apps owned by Chinese companies.
Similar to Trump, China likely sees TikTok as an important piece in its game of chess with the U.S. over trade.Following Trumps order that TikTok sell or shutter, the Chinese government crafted a response that complicates matters: Any deal involving ByteDance would have to cleared by Beijing.
The new law is meant to protect what Chinas government considers to be sensitive technologies, including artificial intelligence. Without its artificial intelligence and other sensitive technologies, TikTok is nothing more than a name. Youd effectively be buying a shell, Shmulik said.
Experts say the situation could play out three different ways: ByteDance could sell TikTok and leave the two governments to argue over the deals specifics. Or ByteDance could sign a deal with a U.S. buyer before the deadline to hold off the U.S. government, but then find a way to delay the process in hopes that a new administration with different policies is elected in November.
One final possibility is that ByteDance closes its U.S. operations, to avoid itand Chinafrom acquiescing to the Trump administration.
I think its 80% chance a deal doesnt go through, Shmulik said. I think theyre hoping for an eleventh-hour save.
Keiser said he expects any resolution to be delayed far beyond the Sept. 15 deadline. I would guess this drags into next year, he said. I dont think theres a quick and easy wrap up to this.
Read the original:
- Canadian chess master Ross Siemms pleased with new interest in the game - Toronto Sun - January 13th, 2021
- CES 2021: check out the world's craziest new gaming and consumer tech - Happy Mag - January 13th, 2021
- A Black Repertoire versus the Anti-Sicilians - Chessbase News - January 13th, 2021
- 'The Last of Us' prologue easter egg discovered after seven years - NME - January 13th, 2021
- Trolling the Great Outdoors - The New Yorker - January 13th, 2021
- Good, bad, and ugly 2020 - The New Indian Express - December 29th, 2020
- DeepMind's New AI Is Able To Learn The Rules Of A Game As It Plays - Unite.AI - December 27th, 2020
- Chess captures new fans thanks to the pandemic and 'The Queen's Gambit' - CBC.ca - December 27th, 2020
- Bridgewater Man And Woman Arrested In Connection To Stabbing On Christmas Eve - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Off Their Game Week 16 - Robby Anderson - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Five Tips To Become A World Chess Champion: Vasily Smyslov's Story - Chess.com - December 27th, 2020
- 20 top TV moments of 2020: From 'Jeopardy!' to 'Tiger King' and that wild election - USA TODAY - December 26th, 2020
- The Westbridge Anand Chess Academy will train five of India's biggest talents - Chessbase News - December 23rd, 2020
- Chess sets are in-demand on LI right now - Newsday - December 23rd, 2020
- Elliot Page Was Supposed to Star in The Queens Gambit - Rare.us - December 22nd, 2020
- Are computers killing the mystery of chess? video - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- From Bake Off woes to Zoom fiascos: 2020 in lists - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- KCF University Cup to be played online in February - Chessbase News - December 20th, 2020
- 2020 smartphone mega shootout: The best camera phones tested - Android Authority - December 20th, 2020
- The best websites to play chess after watching 'Queen's Gambit' | Tech | December 17, 2020 - Explica - December 17th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: The glaring flaw of 'The Queens Gambit' that no one wants to mention - National Post - December 12th, 2020
- Best of 2020: How The Queen's Gambit made its chess look real - Entertainment Weekly - December 11th, 2020
- 5 Easy Steps That You Need to Follow To Become A Micro Influencer - Vizaca.com - December 11th, 2020
- Omena, Miguna and onions most googled in 2020 - The Standard - December 11th, 2020
- Pegasystems' Trefler on leadership and strategy - learned from chess - Financial Post - December 8th, 2020
- Inuit-designed board game Nunami hits the shelves - Nunatsiaq News - December 8th, 2020
- How to play chess like Beth from The Queen's Gambit - The Spectator US - December 5th, 2020
- INTERVIEW: Video creation app Firework insists it is more than a TikTok rival as it woos publishers in India - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2020
- Meghan and Harry are in hot water over The Crown and their Netflix deal - NEWS.com.au - December 3rd, 2020
- The Cord's Best of 2020 The Cord - The Cord - December 3rd, 2020
- Madonna Shared a Rare, Festive Family Portrait Ahead of the Holidays - HarpersBAZAAR.com - December 1st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' got you feeling chess? The best websites to play on - Film Daily - December 1st, 2020
- Mr Beast teases chess match with grandmaster Hikaru - Dexerto - December 1st, 2020
- The 42 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 29th, 2020
- Black Friday 2020 Live Update: A later Black Friday boost; hot holiday gifts: Legos and chess sets - CNBC - November 27th, 2020
- Chess championship: A 10-year-old Filipino takes over global stage - Yahoo News - November 27th, 2020
- Netflix, HBO Max Battle Over 'Godzilla' Rights, Disney Plus Performs 'On Pointe' - The Streamable - November 27th, 2020
- A game-changing moment for chess - CNN Video - November 26th, 2020
- Carlsen on The Queen's Gambit: A little too unrealistic - Chessbase News - November 26th, 2020
- Understanding before Moving 2: How to improve the activity of my pieces - Chessbase News - November 24th, 2020
- Gurgaon girl to represent India in World Youth Chess Championship - Times of India - November 24th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 5) - Chessbase News - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - CNN - November 20th, 2020
- Cybercrimes can cost companies money, customers, and employees. Here's what types of cybersecurity protocols e - Business Insider India - November 18th, 2020
- Politicians are conquering the world of video games - Metro US - November 18th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 4) - Chessbase News - November 16th, 2020
- How "The Queen's Gambit" is inspiring a wave of new chess fans, especially women - Salon - November 16th, 2020
- 5 great shows to watch on Netflix this weekend - Netflix Life - November 8th, 2020
- Chess and scientific research - Chessbase News - November 6th, 2020
- Harry Melling on 'Queen's Gambit' and His Haunting Liam Neeson Team-Up - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Darrell Hammond on Sean Connery Impression: "The Single Most Successful Thing I Ever Did As a Performer" - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Win or lose, with Trump, prepare for the unimaginable after the election - CNN - November 1st, 2020
- VIDEOS - Play Chess with Friends - October 31st, 2020
- Play Chess Online - Free Online Chess on GameKnot - October 31st, 2020
- Chess videos | chess24.com - October 31st, 2020
- Gillian Jacobs Talks Improvising for the First Time on Dont Think Twice - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- TikToker Abby Roberts reacts to bizarre theory shes not really British - Dexerto - October 31st, 2020
- New Movies + Shows to Watch this Weekend: 'Borat 2' on Amazon Prime Video+ More - Decider - October 24th, 2020
- Premiere: Sweet Crude Reaches Their "Ultimatum" - Popdust - October 23rd, 2020
- Gordon Ramsay Sipped Ocean Spray In His Latest TikTok Tirade, Referencing The Viral 'Dreams' Video - Delish.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 'Roger Federer is always out-thinking you and ready to embarrass you," says former US Open opponent - Tennishead - October 21st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Cast on How the Netflix Drama Goes Beyond the Chess Board (VIDEO) - TV Insider - October 17th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen clinches with a round to spare - Chessbase News - October 16th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen beats Caruana to take the lead - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- Connected pawns on the move - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- New: Sergei Tiviakov - How to play the Ruy Lopez with Qe2 - Chessbase News - October 7th, 2020
- AdvanceClub Launches to Inspire and Advance Esports Gamers of All Skill Levels - StreetInsider.com - October 7th, 2020
- Woman Can't Stump Her Husband With Riddles No Matter How Hard She Tries - Distractify - October 3rd, 2020
- Unearthing Every NFL Team's Early Hidden Gem - Bleacher Report - September 30th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Teaser: Anya Taylor-Joy Is Addicted to Chess, Drugs, and More Chess - Vulture - September 28th, 2020
- 'Console Wars' Review: A Fascinating, Fundamental Chronicle of the Innovative Battle Between SEGA and Nintendo - /FILM - September 24th, 2020
- WATCH: Why Nurse-Stevens was the best chess match in NBA history - Celtics Wire - September 24th, 2020
- The shifting chessboard of international influence operations - Brookings Institution - September 24th, 2020
- Yuzvendra Chahals Dance Videos That Went Viral! - IWMBuzz - September 22nd, 2020
- The 7 best chess and checkers games for Android - Explica - September 12th, 2020
- FIDE announces that the Candidates Tournament will resume on November 1st - Chessbase News - September 11th, 2020
- George Conway Shows What's Going On In Trump's Head In Exclusive 'Unfit' Clip - HuffPost - September 11th, 2020
- Pokelawls signed as streamer to TSM - Daily Esports - September 9th, 2020
- 30 fun ways to stay connected through video calls - Bryan-College Station Eagle - September 7th, 2020
- Putin critic: Inaction against him is a license to kill - CNN - September 5th, 2020