Gone are the crush of fans seeking selfies with their favorite player, the distant cheers from an outer court as a baseline forehand lands inside and the warm embrace between competitors at the end of a match.
In their place are hand sanitizer machines, daily temperature checks and virtual hugs, making for a sterile atmosphere at the 2020 US Open -- the first Grand Slam to take place in the COVID-19 era.
The US National Tennis Center in New Yorknormally buzzes with energy and excitement during Open week, but not this year, with the tournament occurring in a spectator-free quarantine bubble.
Match-winning shots were met with virtual silence in eerily empty stadia as play got under way Monday, while players were free to mill around the Flushing Meadows site without being swamped by autograph hunters.
Competitors, officials, and the handful of journalists in the bubble, including AFP,wear masks as they move gingerly around the grounds, careful to keep six feet apart.
"You can sense that around the site there is a certain tension because everyone is obviously being careful," said Novak Djokovic following his Western and Southern Open win at Flushing on Saturday.
The tennis center has been thoroughly scrubbed since it housed an emergency field hospital at the peak of New York's coronavirus outbreak in April.
Hand sanitizer machines dot the grounds, as do posters reminding players that hugs and fist bumps are banned. Quick elbow taps are allowed.
Organizers are limiting locker rooms to 30 players at one time, with competitors encouraged to shower and head outsidequickly where activities including basketball hoops await.
Mini-golf, pool and chess are other games available to try to keep players outdoors when they are killing time.
"It's pretty sad because usually this place is just filled with energy and atmosphere," said Andy Murray.
"Fans give life to the tournament, they give life to your matches and your practices."
But the absence of 750,000 spectators does bring some benefits.
"When you have to get somewhere for a certain time, it's nice because you know there is no-one around and that you're not going to get stopped. It's very quiet and very relaxed," Murray added.
Anyone entering the site must undergo a temperature check every day, with players, staff, volunteers, and journalists undergoing regular coronavirus tests throughout the tournament.
- Security -
Players wear masks when not playing or eating, while ball persons and lines officials don face coverings on court in the Arthur Ashe and Louis Armstrong stadiums whose seats have been draped in "Black Lives Matter" banners.
There are no lines officials on the outer courts, where Hawk-Eye technology is making line calls.
Organizers are limiting the locker rooms to 30 players at one time and elite players have been given their own boxesin Ashe and Armstrong to eye the competition.
"Walking around from court to court, I've never been able to watch so many live tennis matches," saidthree-time US Open champion Kim Clijsters.
Most competitors are staying at one of two hotels where they are shuttled the 30 minutes to and from the tennis center.
A few, including Djokovic and Serena Williams, have chosen to stay in private homes where they are paying for 24-hour security approved by the United States Tennis Association (USTA).
The security teams are obliged to provide the USTA with information regarding when the player leaves and arrives at the house.
No player is allowed to travel anywhere other than between the tennis center and their accommodation. Any player who leaves the bubble without the written consent of organizers will be thrown out of the tournament.
Read more from the original source:
- U.S. Championship: So On The Brink of Title - Chess.com - October 30th, 2020
- Can you solve these real 'Jeopardy!' clues about the '70s? - North Platte Telegraph - October 29th, 2020
- 14-year-old Mendonca wins chess tournament in Hungary - The Tribune India - October 28th, 2020
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Test Drives New Aortic Valve on Cleveland Walkabout - Vanity Fair - October 28th, 2020
- Gibraltar to host the final stage of FIDE Women's Grand Prix - Chessbase News - October 24th, 2020
- Can you solve these real 'Jeopardy!' clues about the '70s? - Buffalo News - October 24th, 2020
- Aronian Says He Is Ready to Join Armenian Army - The Armenian Mirror-Spectator - October 23rd, 2020
- Nakamura Just Won't Stop Winning Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Gibraltar to host the final stage of the Women's FIDE Grand Prix - Chess Daily News - October 23rd, 2020
- Play blitz and win prizes on playchess.com! - Chessbase News - October 21st, 2020
- Bel Airs Shelby Getz survives unforgettable chess battles with legends of the game at U.S. Senior Championship - Baltimore Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Levon Aronian: I haven't slept since war started - chess24 - October 21st, 2020
- Asian Online Team Chess: India finishes 6th in preliminary round, qualifies for quarterfinals - Outlook India - October 19th, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Postponed Until Spring 2021 - Chess.com - October 17th, 2020
- Bel Air resident and chess champion Shelby Getz to battle for national senior championship online this weekend - Baltimore Sun - October 16th, 2020
- Baltimore man looking to win $50k prize in national chess tournament - wmar2news.com - October 16th, 2020
- $100+K awarded at 2020 SPFNO Online, with 100% Fair Play on National Chess Day! - Chess Daily News - October 16th, 2020
- Meet Zico, The First 17yo Malaysian To Receive The SENIA World Changer Award - WORLD OF BUZZ - October 16th, 2020
- Blast from the Past / 1959: a summertime parade of toys - Lewiston Morning Tribune - October 16th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Tries a Risky Play: Betting Chess Can Be Good TV - The New York Times - October 16th, 2020
- The Best Chess Games In History - Boss Hunting - October 14th, 2020
- New research reveals mentally demanding tasks are more difficult to handle at home - ResponseSource - October 14th, 2020
- Igors Rausis: Chess cheat resurfaces after an infamous toilet break - The Indian Express - October 14th, 2020
- King to king - Chessbase News - October 14th, 2020
- 10-year-old Minnesota girl puts the chess world in checkmate - KARE11.com - October 9th, 2020
- How To Play In US Chess Online Rated Tournaments - Chess.com - October 9th, 2020
- The tech company Play Magnus today been admitted trading - The FINANCIAL - October 8th, 2020
- IM Bhakti Kulkarni to represent Women Indian Team in the Asian Nation's Cup Online Chess - Oherald - October 8th, 2020
- CCPS hosting in-person chess tournament, limited to students in Grades 4-12 - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - October 7th, 2020
- ESL Mobile Open Europe and MENA announced with a prize pool of nearly $100000 - Dot Esports - October 7th, 2020
- Meet these mini-grandmasters of chess - two brothers from Cork - EchoLive.ie - October 7th, 2020
- Irshad Mohammed walks away with top spot in latest round of chess tournament - Stabroek News - October 7th, 2020
- NRX is king of Call of Duty Mobile in Southeast Asia - Manila Bulletin - October 5th, 2020
- Surya Shekhar Ganguly in conversation with Vladimir Kramnik - Chessbase News - October 3rd, 2020
- On Chess: Returning To Over The Board Chess Tournaments - St. Louis Public Radio - October 3rd, 2020
- Fresh Surface Firmware Updates Are Out for Pro 7 and Book 3 - Best gaming pro - October 3rd, 2020
- Why Utah's new Teacher of the Year wants his students of color to play chess - Salt Lake Tribune - October 3rd, 2020
- x64 emulation is coming to Windows on ARM - Best gaming pro - October 3rd, 2020
- When did they get it? - The ten highest-ever rated players - Chessbase News - October 3rd, 2020
- SANDCAST: Answering beach volleyball's questions in a year with no shortage of them - Volleyball Magazine - October 1st, 2020
- Chess and coffee - Chessbase News - September 30th, 2020
- Altibox Norway Chess 2020: Live and over-the-board! - Chessbase News - September 29th, 2020
- The Queen's Journey with chess and ballet: In conversation with Jason Kouchak - Sportskeeda - September 29th, 2020
- Goodbyes and well-wishes: PBA players leave home to start life in Clark bubble - Manila Bulletin - September 29th, 2020
- Diamond-clad Pearl Royale is worlds most expensive chess set - dlmag - September 29th, 2020
- Spanish Team Championship, Round 3: Andreu Paterna in the lead - Chessbase News - September 28th, 2020
- Adesanya retains UFC title with early TKO of Costa - Manila Bulletin - September 28th, 2020
- 5 Amazing Chess Players You've Never Heard Of - Chess.com - September 26th, 2020
- John Leguizamo Is Sick of Latinos Being Excluded in Hollywood: 'Were 1 Percent of the Stories' - PEOPLE - September 26th, 2020
- One Day on a Hard Court, Then on Clay - The New York Times - September 26th, 2020
- Chess in the movies: "Critical Thinking" - a fine film by John Leguizamo - Chessbase News - September 26th, 2020
- Two locals in contention for top spot - The Daily Star - September 26th, 2020
- Tournament from tomorrow - The Daily Star - September 23rd, 2020
- AlphaZero (And Other!) Chess Variants Now Available For Everyone - Chess.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Guess the child prodigy - Chessbase News - September 23rd, 2020
- Int'l online chess event to mark 74th birthday of PM Hasina - Dhaka Tribune - September 23rd, 2020
- Ranindu, Nethmi win top titles at Chess Nationals - Ceylon Daily News - September 23rd, 2020
- Mechanics' to Host U.S. Cadet National Championship this Weekend - uschess.org - September 22nd, 2020
- The Only Problem In Fischer Random Chess - Chess.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Today's Top Sports News: Who can become the captain of Team India after Kohli, Sunil Gavaskar said this - Pledge Times - September 20th, 2020
- Pushed to the limit, Djokovic finds a way to win - The Tribune - September 19th, 2020
- The True Story Behind Critical Thinking, Movie Based in Miami - Miami New Times - September 19th, 2020
- Summer Knights stands as school year's first chess tourney - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - September 19th, 2020
- So Leads Saint Louis Tournament Before Blitz Games - Chess.com - September 19th, 2020
- Mobile Premier League bets on advertising to create niche in e-sports market - Mint - September 19th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen has conquered the world of chess. Now he's setting his sights on fantasy football - erienewsnow.com - September 19th, 2020
- Saint Louis Rapid & Blitz: Live! - Chessbase News - September 16th, 2020
- Boston Celtics vs. Miami Heat a series where each team must make tough choices: Youre not expecting it to b - MassLive.com - September 16th, 2020
- US Open: Winged Foot looks to humble the Professionals - Pro Golf Now - September 15th, 2020
- Kasparov Holds Carlsen In 1st Clash In 16 Years - Chess.com - September 12th, 2020
- Is There Going to be an 'Alpha Flight' Movie? - Book and Film Globe - September 12th, 2020
- 'Chess player' Daniil Medvedev looks the one to beat at US Open - Eurosport.com - September 12th, 2020
- Nihal Beats Tang In Junior Speed Chess Championship - Chess.com - September 12th, 2020
- Mikoto interview: I'm kind of getting motivated after losing to TNC - VPEsports - September 11th, 2020
- Stars, Golden Knights reach chess match part of West final - NHL - September 11th, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Resumes November 1 - Chess.com - September 9th, 2020
- Chess prodigy Ajitesh Nair on the cusp of history - Telangana Today - September 9th, 2020
- Amid a lockdown and development of livestreaming technology, chess is going through a renaissance - Firstpost - September 8th, 2020
- Nathanael Paul crowned county champion for the first time - shropshirestar.com - September 8th, 2020
- Junior Speed Chess Championship Begins This Week - Chess.com - September 7th, 2020