Arlington Community Education is offering a full schedule of online classes for adults and kids this fall. Registration is still open, but classes are filling quickly. The semester starts the week of Sept. 14.
There are over 150 adult classes, including 42 new classes. Most classes are held online via Zoom in the evening. There are also daytime options and socially-distanced walking and bicycling tours. Read on for some of the new offerings, or see all fall classes and register at http://ArlingtonCommunityEd.org.
Home and garden
Have you recently got a new pup or rescue and you are trying to train him/her while social distancing? Get your questions answered in this virtual class with expert dog trainer Christine Macdonald, covering topics including potty training, barking, chewing and how to get your pup to understand and obey the leave it command or learn leash walking. Zoom Dog Training Workshop: Get Help With Puppies is Oct. 8 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. The cost is $29.
Recreation and travel
Chess engages our minds and memory and challenges us to tap into our creative thinking, problem solving and reasoning skills. Learn to play or refine your skills with Chess Wizards. At Beginner Skills & Strategies, starting Sept. 23, learn how a new piece of the chessboard moves each week and practice fundamentals. If you already know the basics, including how to set up the pieces and how to move them, then delve into intermediate tactics and strategy with Next Level Tactics, starting Oct. 21. Both chess classes run Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. for four weeks and cost $69.
Fine arts and crafts
Learn to twirl and whirl paper into whimsical shapes and designs at Zen Quilling with our new art instructor Dani Larosee. Quilling is an art form that uses tiny strips of paper to create beautiful ornaments and elaborate pieces of art. The quilling process is very calming; it gives you peace and provides you with an artistic outlet to keep you zen. Class runs online for four Thursdays beginning Oct. 1, from 7 to 8:30 p.m. The cost is $79. Dani is also teaching a Family Night quilling class and Intro to Calligraphy and Beyond: Foundational Hand.
Music and theater
Have you ever been told you have a great voice for radio, audiobooks or cartoons? At the fast-paced, interactive and fun workshop Find Your Voice: Intro to Voice Overs led by Lau Lapides Company, learn tips and techniques to begin your exploration of vocal and verbal delivery, breathing and interpreting a script. Find out more about the craft as a hobby or career on Oct. 7 from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuition is $25.
On Sept. 27 from 9 to 11 a.m., take a two-hour Birdwatching 101 Field Trip of about 1.25 miles around the Arlington Reservoir, geared towards beginning birdwatchers of all ages. Instructor Benjamin Brown-Steiner will focus on demonstrating different strategies for locating and identifying birds based on their appearance, songs and calls, behavior, and habitat. To get the most out of this field trip, attendance at the lecture What to Know Before Going Outside on Sept. 24 is highly encouraged. Each birdwatching class costs $19, or take both classes for $30.
A new three-part DNA and Genealogy series is being taught by Dr. Leah Abraham, who used DNA results to locate her own birth parents. DNA Test Basics (Part 1) starts Sept. 22 for those new to DNA testing. Discover which DNA test to take, what services the DNA companies offer, and how to minimize cost while maximizing the information you receive from your DNA test. You Took a DNA Test: What Do the Matches Mean? (Part 2), beginning on Oct. 13, focuses on using the results to build trees. Leave the class with a better understanding of what information is available in match data and how it can help verify or create (for adoptees) your tree. At Using DNA to Advance Genealogy (Part 3), starting on Nov. 10, build your tree as you learn to use the data power of a DNA test to confirm ancestors. Work on locating sources and confirming common ancestors with more distant DNA matches. Each course meets three times on Tuesdays from 7 to 9 p.m. and costs $59. Or take all three for $159.
Enhance your appreciation of dance as an exciting and ever-changing performance art at Understanding 20th Century Dance with dance instructor, lecturer and choreographer Kelley Donovan. Beginning on Oct. 7, develop an overall familiarity with dance as a contemporary art form through readings, video and discussion. Enlarge your critical perspective by discussing issues in dance, comparing points of view of major choreographers, and considering their particular contributions. This five-week class runs from 6:30 to 8 p.m. and costs $75.
White People Challenging Racism: Moving From Talk to Action is five Wednesdays starting Oct. 7 from 6 to 8 p.m. While this workshop led by Melanie Roche-Laputkaa and Erika Nauda welcomes participants of all identities, the focus is on racism as a system that white people created, maintain and need to take immediate action to end. In this small online group setting, you will examine the role of White people in dismantling racism, in becoming antiracist and in building an equitable society. Develop a specific plan for challenging racism in the workplace, an organization or in the community, while being encouraged to find other people in your life who can provide support and serve as an accountability partner in implementing your plan. The price is $150.
All ACE kids classes are online this fall, and organized by category instead of by school, with arts and crafts, fitness and dance, STEM, languages, life skills and more. New classes include Mathletics, How to Adult, Book Illustrating & Storytelling and Architecture & Design with Sketchup. The schedule has been adjusted to reflect Arlingtons school opening plan.
Visit http://ArlingtonCommunityEd.org or email CommunityEd@arlington.k12.ma.us for more information or to register. Arlington Community Education is a program of the Arlington Public Schools that is completely supported by tuition received from ACE courses. ACE provides affordable education and enrichment for residents of Arlington and surrounding communities.
Read the rest here:
- Chinese kids are giving it all to succeed - The Herald - October 17th, 2020
- Drive Poll - Would The NFL Pause Season To Fight COVID-19? - 929theticket.com - October 16th, 2020
- Arlington Community Education announces upcoming classes - Fall River Herald News - October 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 Transforms Education, Health And Fitness Delivery Services, Opens Doors For IT-Like Growth Trajectory - Swarajya - October 16th, 2020
- Pushed beyond their limit - The Star Online - October 14th, 2020
- Wausau mayor Katie Rosenberg emerges as a new voice in Wis. progressive politics - OnMilwaukee.com - October 8th, 2020
- AdvanceClub Launches to Inspire and Advance Esports Gamers of All Skill Levels - GlobeNewswire - October 8th, 2020
- How can the 49ers Clean up Their Offensive Line Woes? - Sports Illustrated - October 7th, 2020
- In cancelling GLOW, Netflix deals a body blow to representation - Forward - October 7th, 2020
- The strange flexibility of boundaries: population and other limits in strategy games - Gamasutra - October 7th, 2020
- Trump testing positive for Covid-19 means the president's health is in danger, not U.S. security - NBC News - October 7th, 2020
- Visually impaired chess champion Soundarya Pradhan teaching the game online during lockdown - The Bridge - October 3rd, 2020
- Surrounded by sea and sky: the irresistible draw of islands - Spectator.co.uk - October 1st, 2020
- NATO Air Defense Forces Integrate in the Baltics - United States Army - September 29th, 2020
- 13 L/stone pupils enlisted for Chess24 The Mast Online - themastonline.com - September 26th, 2020
- Dominick Reyes ready to 'right what was wrong' in controversial Jones loss with 'life changing' second chance at UFC 253 - Brinkwire - September 26th, 2020
- Mailbag: Should the Patriots be in the linebacker, receiver market? - Pats Pulpit - September 24th, 2020
- In 'The Zoom Where it Happens,' Adia Barnes learned tips that could make Wildcats a hoops hit - Arizona Daily Star - September 24th, 2020
- 49ers well-positioned to withstand Raheem Mostert, Tevin Coleman injuries - Yahoo Sports - September 23rd, 2020
- PH bets will have mountain to climb in Vietnam SEA Games - Tempo - September 23rd, 2020
- Microsoft Scores Exclusive License to the Much-Hyped GPT-3 Language Model - Voicebot.ai - September 23rd, 2020
- Judy Kuhn - The Seth Concert Series | Review - London Theatre 1 - September 22nd, 2020
- Late night preparations behind Indian Grandmaster P Iniyans World Open glory - The New Indian Express - September 19th, 2020
- Non-contact sports return as resumption of sports calendar is released - Kenya Broadcasting Corporation - September 19th, 2020
- DMU at 150: The 10 oddest things in the DMU archives - De Montfort University - September 19th, 2020
- What is CBM? Here's the answer! - Chessbase News - September 16th, 2020
- Are ozeki Asanoyama's struggles all in his head? - The Japan Times - September 16th, 2020
- Canada's long-term foreign policy intentions need a clearer narrative - Policy Options - September 16th, 2020
- When to Give Legal Rights to AIs? When They Can Dream - JD Supra - September 16th, 2020
- Toby Chess: 40-Plus Years of Service to the Industry He Loves - Autobody News - September 15th, 2020
- Pokemon Go Meets Game Of Thrones: The Playstyle Of The Main Characters - Screen Rant - September 15th, 2020
- Babe Laufenberg says Mike McCarthy will face a unique challenge with the Cowboys that he didnt in Green Bay - The Dallas Morning News - September 13th, 2020
- Spera: The Saints in the Superdome without fans will be weird, but still worth watching - NOLA.com - September 13th, 2020
- 49ers vs. Cardinals preview: What to expect when the 49ers are on defense against the Cardinals - Niners Nation - September 12th, 2020
- Will Robert Quinn be a rotational player in Week One for Chicago Bears? - Bear Goggles On - September 11th, 2020
- Update on the latest sports - KESQ - September 11th, 2020
- The Bay Area has a thrilling new Instagram pastry scene. Here are three to try - San Francisco Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- No Danielle Hunter has the Packers breathing a sigh of relief - Acme Packing Company - September 11th, 2020
- Dwayne Haskins loves a challenge. His second season with Washington will be one. - Washington Times - September 11th, 2020
- What to expect when the 49ers have the ball against the Cardinals defense - MSN Money - September 11th, 2020
- What's the worst Bradford City kit of all time? - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - September 9th, 2020
- Ancient boardgames: Experts find the missing piece (but can't figure out how to play) - Middle East Eye - September 9th, 2020
- The Cardinals believe they can unleash Kliff Kingsburys offense in 2020 - Arizona Sports - September 9th, 2020
- The Minnesota Vikings are Banking on Continuity and Experience to Improve the Offensive Line - Zone Coverage - September 9th, 2020
- In a season of uncertainty, Bill Belichick says he will play the backup quarterback position by ear - The Boston Globe - September 9th, 2020
- Player-by-player breakdown of the Patriots full 69-man roster - 98.5 The Sports Hub - September 8th, 2020
- Competitive Chess and Advanced Math Training this FALL - ONLINE! - Ridgewood, NJ - patch.com - September 7th, 2020
- Benefits of education - The News International - September 7th, 2020
- Room with a view: US Open seeds get taste of the suite life - NBC Sports - Misc. - September 5th, 2020
- Competitive Chess and Advanced Math Training this FALL - ONLINE! - Patch.com - September 5th, 2020
- Teachers Day 2020: Heres a look at the best teachers of Indian Sports - The Bridge - September 5th, 2020
- Jordan Reed, Trent Williams and 49ers' missing pieces get rave reviews - Yahoo Sports - September 5th, 2020
- Room with a view: US Open seeds get taste of the suite life - Rome Sentinel - September 5th, 2020
- Training in Chess and Advanced Math starts this FALL - ONLINE! - Patch.com - September 4th, 2020
- Arizona Cardinals have a chance to deploy Isaiah Simmons in a number of ways - Revenge of the Birds - September 4th, 2020
- Bird Droppings: Larry Fitzgerald sits, defensive line improvements, decision on Haason Reddick looms and more - Revenge of the Birds - September 4th, 2020
- Reed, Williams and 49ers' missing pieces get glowing reviews - Comcast SportsNet Bay Area - September 3rd, 2020
- List Of All Sports Disciplines For Direct Recruitment Of Sportspersons In Government Jobs - NDTV - September 3rd, 2020
- What the Andre Smith Trade Means For Panthers' Roster - Sports Illustrated - September 1st, 2020
- Chess Olympiad: Vidit Gujrathi on how he led India to its first-ever gold medal - Livemint - September 1st, 2020
- Pre-Dinner Stress: After School Clubs to the Rescue - Patch.com - September 1st, 2020
- Messi does not intend to meet with Bartomeu but will attend training - MARCA.com - August 29th, 2020
- Promoter Wants Eleider Alvarez To Think Over Career Before Retirement Decision - BoxingScene.com - August 27th, 2020
- Cowboys training camp practice number eight updates: Chidobe Awuzie, other corners are showing up in practice - Blogging The Boys - August 27th, 2020
- The geopolitical transformation of the Middle East - Asia Times - August 27th, 2020
- Boys State Is Civility Propaganda of the Highest Order - TheStranger.com - August 25th, 2020
- Where the Patriots training camp competitions stand after one week - Pats Pulpit - August 25th, 2020
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - August 25th, 2020
- Kenya's greatest snooker player Ramji living the dream - Daily Nation - August 22nd, 2020
- Athlete's perspective: How COVID-19 impacted a U.S. Olympic hopeful from Mansfield - Richland Source - August 21st, 2020
- Rams' rookie safeties have made their mark early in camp - Rams Wire - August 21st, 2020
- Learning music does not increase your cognitive abilities or the beauty of the useless - Explica - August 20th, 2020
- MasterClass Announces New Class on Ukulele with Virtuoso and Composer Jake Shimabukuro - PRNewswire - August 20th, 2020
- Earning Eagle Rank in Pandemic Time - McLean Connection - August 19th, 2020
- Moving Forward With Online Classes: Another Option | Education - Inside NoVA - August 18th, 2020
- The bodycheck - Chessbase News - August 18th, 2020
- Elite Chess Training - August 17th, 2020
- Chess tactics training - Improve your chess - August 17th, 2020
- Train chess 10 little known chess training methods that work - August 17th, 2020
- Online Chess Training - Play chess, Train chess. - August 17th, 2020