Editor's Note:This first-person piece was written by Natalie Hershberger of Mansfield, a 16-year-old member of the U.S. National Junior Taekwondo Team. She writes how COVID-19 impacted her journey towards making the 2024 U.S. Olympic Team.
Recently, World Taekwondo (the global governing body of Olympic Taekwondo) announced to the world very disappointing news. This years Junior World Championships, to be held in Sofia, Bulgaria, were cancelled due to COVID-19.
When I first heard the news, a feeling of extreme sadness fell over me. I purposely trained very hard for this event for two years. The mantra, This year Im going to be the best on the planet, swirled in my head from the very beginning of the year.
Natalie Hershberger trains at Black Belt Pro Fitness in Mansfield during 2019.
I spearheaded my world title campaign in February of this year with a dominating win at the U.S. Open Championships. It was the best performance of my four U.S. Open titles since 2015. Just a few weeks later, the world was caught off guard by the worst pandemic of my lifetime.
I skipped Friday Night Football. I skipped dances. I missed out on hanging with my local friends while traveling the world to compete in 2018 and 2019 a necessary component of preparing for international elite competitions such as Junior World Championships.
Natalie Hershberger is a 16-year-old U.S National Junior Taekwondo Team Member. Shes ranked number one junior -63 kg female in the U.S. with seven national championship titles under her belt. Natalie is also the author of Tough Girls Finish First, an inspirational childrens book.
Natalie is a 2024 U.S. Olympic Team hopeful and wants to bring a gold medal back to the area! You can follow her journey on Facebook and Instagram.
This was the news I dreaded to hear. I missed my chance at proving to the world my preparation was better than everyone elses. I train to win, not to just compete.
This would have been my first ever Junior World Championships (ages 15-17). Actually, my first World Championships in general, because I was not able to attend the Cadet World Championships when I was competing in the 12-14 division due to security concerns in Egypt at the time. The U.S. State Department advised U.S. athletes to stay away at all cost.
I saw the possibility coming, but I still had high hopes COVID-19 would not curtail my dream. Many of my friends who were planning on going to Junior Worlds are as devastated as I am. Winning a medal at Junior Worlds would have given me very valuable points needed to make the 2024 U.S. Olympic Team.
My fellow U.S. National Team Members and I were all chatting on social media recently about how we were looking forward to going to Bulgaria as a team to compete together. Now I am wondering when our next opportunity to just see one another again will be.
2020 is the year that could have been, but wasnt.
Mansfield's Natalie Hershberger is shown here during a Taekwondo match in Greece.
I pray that I can get back to competing and doing what I love soon. Learning of this news has not made me want to stop training. My resolve to be the best in the world at what I love is even stronger now. I just need to be more patient. One upside is Ive had some time to catch up on my Netflix shows!
My disappointment for this is nothing compared to a life tragedy. Losing a loved one due to COVID-19, or even losing a job, makes my sacrifices less significant in the grand scheme of things.
Im sharing this with you not to sound like a cry baby, or pretend sports are remotely as important than human health. I just want you to know that setbacks come in a variety of scenarios even Olympic Hopefuls are vulnerable.
It doesnt matter what someones passion is; whether it be art, dance, football, or even chess. The disappointment is shared among all levels of athletes.
I wish everyone the best of luck in seeing anything positive through all of this. Youve got this. Keep your head up! Keep training like your biggest athletic test of all time is next month.
Oh yeah Im still planning on bringing Olympic Gold back to Mansfield/Richland County in 2024! COVID-19 cant stop me. I pray that everyone stays safe through these challenging times.
Sign up for the weekly thrive newsletter and get local inspiration delivered to your inbox every Monday.
- With a game built to thrive in today's NHL, Matt Grzelcyk can (& should) deliver in top-pairing role for Bruins - bostonsportsjournal.com - October 21st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Star Anya Taylor-Joy on Making Chess Riveting TV - TV Insider - October 21st, 2020
- Task Force Illini creates Mobile Training Team to prepare Ukrainian rotational units - United States Army - October 21st, 2020
- Mozart of psychology': How Lev Vygotsky helped shape modern thinking - Russia Beyond - October 21st, 2020
- Chinese kids are giving it all to succeed - The Herald - October 17th, 2020
- Drive Poll - Would The NFL Pause Season To Fight COVID-19? - 929theticket.com - October 16th, 2020
- Arlington Community Education announces upcoming classes - Fall River Herald News - October 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 Transforms Education, Health And Fitness Delivery Services, Opens Doors For IT-Like Growth Trajectory - Swarajya - October 16th, 2020
- Pushed beyond their limit - The Star Online - October 14th, 2020
- Wausau mayor Katie Rosenberg emerges as a new voice in Wis. progressive politics - OnMilwaukee.com - October 8th, 2020
- AdvanceClub Launches to Inspire and Advance Esports Gamers of All Skill Levels - GlobeNewswire - October 8th, 2020
- How can the 49ers Clean up Their Offensive Line Woes? - Sports Illustrated - October 7th, 2020
- In cancelling GLOW, Netflix deals a body blow to representation - Forward - October 7th, 2020
- The strange flexibility of boundaries: population and other limits in strategy games - Gamasutra - October 7th, 2020
- Trump testing positive for Covid-19 means the president's health is in danger, not U.S. security - NBC News - October 7th, 2020
- Visually impaired chess champion Soundarya Pradhan teaching the game online during lockdown - The Bridge - October 3rd, 2020
- Surrounded by sea and sky: the irresistible draw of islands - Spectator.co.uk - October 1st, 2020
- NATO Air Defense Forces Integrate in the Baltics - United States Army - September 29th, 2020
- 13 L/stone pupils enlisted for Chess24 The Mast Online - themastonline.com - September 26th, 2020
- Dominick Reyes ready to 'right what was wrong' in controversial Jones loss with 'life changing' second chance at UFC 253 - Brinkwire - September 26th, 2020
- Mailbag: Should the Patriots be in the linebacker, receiver market? - Pats Pulpit - September 24th, 2020
- In 'The Zoom Where it Happens,' Adia Barnes learned tips that could make Wildcats a hoops hit - Arizona Daily Star - September 24th, 2020
- 49ers well-positioned to withstand Raheem Mostert, Tevin Coleman injuries - Yahoo Sports - September 23rd, 2020
- PH bets will have mountain to climb in Vietnam SEA Games - Tempo - September 23rd, 2020
- Microsoft Scores Exclusive License to the Much-Hyped GPT-3 Language Model - Voicebot.ai - September 23rd, 2020
- Judy Kuhn - The Seth Concert Series | Review - London Theatre 1 - September 22nd, 2020
- Late night preparations behind Indian Grandmaster P Iniyans World Open glory - The New Indian Express - September 19th, 2020
- Non-contact sports return as resumption of sports calendar is released - Kenya Broadcasting Corporation - September 19th, 2020
- DMU at 150: The 10 oddest things in the DMU archives - De Montfort University - September 19th, 2020
- What is CBM? Here's the answer! - Chessbase News - September 16th, 2020
- Are ozeki Asanoyama's struggles all in his head? - The Japan Times - September 16th, 2020
- Canada's long-term foreign policy intentions need a clearer narrative - Policy Options - September 16th, 2020
- When to Give Legal Rights to AIs? When They Can Dream - JD Supra - September 16th, 2020
- Toby Chess: 40-Plus Years of Service to the Industry He Loves - Autobody News - September 15th, 2020
- Pokemon Go Meets Game Of Thrones: The Playstyle Of The Main Characters - Screen Rant - September 15th, 2020
- Babe Laufenberg says Mike McCarthy will face a unique challenge with the Cowboys that he didnt in Green Bay - The Dallas Morning News - September 13th, 2020
- Spera: The Saints in the Superdome without fans will be weird, but still worth watching - NOLA.com - September 13th, 2020
- 49ers vs. Cardinals preview: What to expect when the 49ers are on defense against the Cardinals - Niners Nation - September 12th, 2020
- Will Robert Quinn be a rotational player in Week One for Chicago Bears? - Bear Goggles On - September 11th, 2020
- Update on the latest sports - KESQ - September 11th, 2020
- The Bay Area has a thrilling new Instagram pastry scene. Here are three to try - San Francisco Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- No Danielle Hunter has the Packers breathing a sigh of relief - Acme Packing Company - September 11th, 2020
- Dwayne Haskins loves a challenge. His second season with Washington will be one. - Washington Times - September 11th, 2020
- What to expect when the 49ers have the ball against the Cardinals defense - MSN Money - September 11th, 2020
- What's the worst Bradford City kit of all time? - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - September 9th, 2020
- Ancient boardgames: Experts find the missing piece (but can't figure out how to play) - Middle East Eye - September 9th, 2020
- The Cardinals believe they can unleash Kliff Kingsburys offense in 2020 - Arizona Sports - September 9th, 2020
- The Minnesota Vikings are Banking on Continuity and Experience to Improve the Offensive Line - Zone Coverage - September 9th, 2020
- In a season of uncertainty, Bill Belichick says he will play the backup quarterback position by ear - The Boston Globe - September 9th, 2020
- Player-by-player breakdown of the Patriots full 69-man roster - 98.5 The Sports Hub - September 8th, 2020
- Competitive Chess and Advanced Math Training this FALL - ONLINE! - Ridgewood, NJ - patch.com - September 7th, 2020
- Benefits of education - The News International - September 7th, 2020
- Room with a view: US Open seeds get taste of the suite life - NBC Sports - Misc. - September 5th, 2020
- Competitive Chess and Advanced Math Training this FALL - ONLINE! - Patch.com - September 5th, 2020
- Teachers Day 2020: Heres a look at the best teachers of Indian Sports - The Bridge - September 5th, 2020
- Jordan Reed, Trent Williams and 49ers' missing pieces get rave reviews - Yahoo Sports - September 5th, 2020
- Room with a view: US Open seeds get taste of the suite life - Rome Sentinel - September 5th, 2020
- Training in Chess and Advanced Math starts this FALL - ONLINE! - Patch.com - September 4th, 2020
- Arizona Cardinals have a chance to deploy Isaiah Simmons in a number of ways - Revenge of the Birds - September 4th, 2020
- Bird Droppings: Larry Fitzgerald sits, defensive line improvements, decision on Haason Reddick looms and more - Revenge of the Birds - September 4th, 2020
- Reed, Williams and 49ers' missing pieces get glowing reviews - Comcast SportsNet Bay Area - September 3rd, 2020
- List Of All Sports Disciplines For Direct Recruitment Of Sportspersons In Government Jobs - NDTV - September 3rd, 2020
- What the Andre Smith Trade Means For Panthers' Roster - Sports Illustrated - September 1st, 2020
- Chess Olympiad: Vidit Gujrathi on how he led India to its first-ever gold medal - Livemint - September 1st, 2020
- Pre-Dinner Stress: After School Clubs to the Rescue - Patch.com - September 1st, 2020
- Messi does not intend to meet with Bartomeu but will attend training - MARCA.com - August 29th, 2020
- Promoter Wants Eleider Alvarez To Think Over Career Before Retirement Decision - BoxingScene.com - August 27th, 2020
- Arlington Community Education to offer new classes this fall - Wicked Local Arlington - August 27th, 2020
- Cowboys training camp practice number eight updates: Chidobe Awuzie, other corners are showing up in practice - Blogging The Boys - August 27th, 2020
- The geopolitical transformation of the Middle East - Asia Times - August 27th, 2020
- Boys State Is Civility Propaganda of the Highest Order - TheStranger.com - August 25th, 2020
- Where the Patriots training camp competitions stand after one week - Pats Pulpit - August 25th, 2020
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - August 25th, 2020
- Kenya's greatest snooker player Ramji living the dream - Daily Nation - August 22nd, 2020
- Rams' rookie safeties have made their mark early in camp - Rams Wire - August 21st, 2020
- Learning music does not increase your cognitive abilities or the beauty of the useless - Explica - August 20th, 2020
- MasterClass Announces New Class on Ukulele with Virtuoso and Composer Jake Shimabukuro - PRNewswire - August 20th, 2020
- Earning Eagle Rank in Pandemic Time - McLean Connection - August 19th, 2020
- Moving Forward With Online Classes: Another Option | Education - Inside NoVA - August 18th, 2020
- The bodycheck - Chessbase News - August 18th, 2020