The New York Film Festival is rolling out a reshaped version of its Revivals section for this years edition of the festival, with a rich assortment of repertory cinema that runs the gamut from beloved classics to rarities seeking new life. The lineup includes a Tony Leung double bill, thanks to Hou Hsiao-hsiens Flowers of Shanghai and Wong Kar Wais In the Mood for Love, while Joyce Chopras 1986 Sundance Grand Jury Prize winner, Smooth Talk, shows off a breakout performance by a young Laura Dern.
Other highlights include Jia Zhangkes rarely screened Xiao Wu, Mohammad Reza Aslanis rediscovered The Chess Game of the Wind, and Bla Tarrs black-and-white noir, Damnation. Opening night filmmaker Steve McQueen also had a hand in the selection: hes opted to screen Jean Vigos Zero for Conduct, which he says inspired his latest project, a five-film anthology series, the first of which will open the festival.
We are thrilled with our selections for Revivals, a section reshaped for the 2020 edition of NYFF to showcase the relevance, the vitality, and the beauty of yesterdays cinema, said Florence Almozini, FLC Senior Programmer at Large, in an official statement. The program covers the 70s to the 90s, from Europe to Asia to the U.S., and features seminal works by Wong Kar Wai, Joyce Chopra, Hou Hsiao-hsien, Marie-Claude Treilhou, William Klein, Jia Zhangke, and more, in outstanding restorations. Together, these films reveal an enduring influence on our collective sense of cinema, culturally and politically, for filmmakers as well as audience members.
As indicated by festival brass earlier this summer, this years NYFF is going to operate differently than it has in previous incarnations. The event will combine a brand-new virtual presence with carefully designed outdoor screenings, including two drive-ins. To that end, limited rentals for Revivals selections Meeting the Man: James Baldwin in Paris and Zero for Conduct will be available for free to NYFF audiences. Final screening plans for the rest of the slate have not yet been announced, but will roll out in the coming weeks.
As IndieWire reported earlier this month, the 58th edition of the festival will open with Steve McQueens Lovers Rock, with the festival also playing home to two other features that comprise McQueens ambitious new Small Axe series in its main slate. Chloe Zhaos Nomadland will screen as the festivals centerpiece. Last week, the festival also announced that it will close out its festivities with Azazel Jacobs French Exit, which will make its world premiere as the closing night selection of the upcoming festival.
Its robust Main Slate was also announced, including new films from Garrett Bradley, Heidi Ewing, Philippe Garrel, Hong Sangsoo, Jia Zhangke, Christian Petzold, Sam Pollard, and Frederick Wiseman.
The Revivals section is programmed by Florence Almozini and Dan Sullivan with program advising by Gina Telaroli. Check out this years Revivals lineup below, with all descriptions care of NYFF.
The Chess Game of the WindMohammad Reza Aslani, Iran, 1976, 93mFarsi with English subtitles
An unheralded landmark of Iranian cinema, Mohammad Reza Aslanis debut feature is set during the rule of the Qajar dynasty and chronicles the fallout when a noble familys matriarch passes away, kindling tensions new and old among her heirs. Screened publicly just once and long thought lost after the 1979 Revolution, The Chess Game of the Wind evokes the work of Luchino Visconti in its sumptuous, refined, and poetic rendering of aristocratic decadence, the passage of time, the ties that bind, and the desires that set us against one another. Featuring a remarkable score by the trailblazing female film composer Sheyda Gharachedaghi and masterfully lensed by Houshang Baharlou with a candle-lit grandeur reminiscent of Kubricks Barry Lyndon, The Chess Game of the Wind ranks among the great recent (re)discoveries of world cinema. Restored by Cineteca di Bologna at LImmagine Ritrovata and The Film Foundations World Cinema Project. Funding provided by the Hobson/Lucas Family Foundation.
DamnationBla Tarr, Hungary, 1986, 116mHungarian with English subtitles
A key turning point in Bla Tarrs career, the first of the directors six collaborations with novelist Lszl Krasznahorkai signaled a visible shift away from the verit realism of his early features and toward the highly stylized, black-and-white otherworldliness that would become his signature. The story is a kind of desiccated film noir, focusing on the efforts of a dour loner, Karrer (Mikls Szkely B.), to steal back his estranged lovera lounge singer (Vali Kerekes) in a funereal bar named Titanikfrom her debt-addled husband. Karrer lures the husband into a smuggling scheme that will force him to leave town, but these well-laid plans soon go awry, and the characters play out their doomed destiny through enveloping layers of rain, shadow, and despair. An Arbelos Films release. New 4K restoration by the Hungarian National Film Institute Film Archive.
Flowers of ShanghaiHou Hsiao-hsien, Taiwan, 1998, 113mCantonese and Shanghainese with English subtitles
An NYFF regular from relatively early in his career, Hou Hsiao-hsien made his seventh festival appearance with this ravishingly beautiful chamber drama that follows the intertwined fortunes and intrigues of four flower girls serving in the opulent brothels of fin-de-sicle 19th-century Shanghai. The great Tony Leung stars as the melancholy Master Wang, torn between his affections for the jealous, demanding Crimson (Michiko Hada) and the more eager-to-please Jasmin (Vicky Wei), and gradually realizing that he is looking for love in all the wrong places. Hous first film set outside his native Taiwan, Flowers of Shanghai is a transfixing masterwork and an achingly, intoxicatingly sensuous landmark of 90s world cinema. A Janus Films release. Restored in 4K in 2019 from the 35mm original negative by Shochiku in collaboration with the Shanghai International Film Festival at the LImmagine Ritrovata laboratory. With funding provided by Jaeger-LeCoultre.
The Hourglass SanatoriumWojciech Has, Poland, 1973, 124mPolish with English subtitles
The collective trauma of the Holocaust looms over this adaptation of Jewish author Bruno Schulzs visionary and poetic reflection on the nature of time and death, which won the Jury Award at Cannes. Jzef (Jan Nowicki) finds himself aboard a train en route to visit his father in the hospital; he arrives to find the hospital in a state thats a bit less than orderly. From there, past and present, reality and fantasy, collapse into each other, unleashing a surreal phantasmagoria that is by turns psychedelic, paranoiac, elegiac, funny, and everywhere haunted by the specter of death: both Jzefs prophesied death and the death of a Europe that existed before the rise of Hitler, the horrors of the Holocaust, and the carnage of World War II. New 4K restoration from the original camera negative, produced by Fixafilm (ukasz Cerenka, Andrzej ucjanek), supervised by ukasz Ceranka, and curated by Daniel Bird.
In the Mood for LoveWong Kar Wai, Hong Kong, 2000, 98mCantonese and Shanghainese with English subtitles
Wong Kar Wais swoon-inducing instant classic made Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung the star-crossed dream team of the early 2000s art house. They play next-door neighbors who, upon discovering that their spouses are carrying on an affair, start a platonic romance of their own amid the alleyways and noodle shops of 1960s Hong Kong. The breathless, will-they-wont-they tension is pushed to intoxicating heights by the luscious mise en scne: Christopher Doyles caressing cinematography; the sensuous use of slo-mo; the red- and green-saturated and patterned print-galore period art direction (that wallpaper!); and the haunting, endlessly repeating strains of Nat King Cole. Quizs, quizs, quizs A Janus Films release. This 4K digital restoration was undertaken from the 35mm original camera negative by the Criterion Collection, in collaboration with Jet Tone Films, LImmagine Ritrovata, One Cool, and Robert Mackenzie Sound. Supervised and approved by Wong Kar Wai.
Meeting the Man: James Baldwin in ParisTerence Dixon, U.K./France, 1971, 27m
This rare film document of one of the towering figures of 20th-century American literaturephotographed by Jack Hazan (Rude Boy, A Bigger Splash)captures the iconic writer in several symbolic locations, including the Place de la Bastille. As Hazan recounts: Things dont go to plan for him and the film crew when a couple of young Black Vietnam draft dodgers impose themselves on the American. Baldwin wrestles with being a role model to the Black youths, denouncing Western colonialism and crimes against African Americans while at the same time demonstrating his mastery and understanding of the culture he supposedly despises. Restored from a 2K scan of the 16mm original color negative A&B rolls and the 16mm optical negative. Scanning services by UPP, Prague. Picture and audio restoration, grading, and mastering by Mark Rance, Watchmaker Films, London. The film is presented in 1.37:1.
Muhammad Ali, the GreatestWilliam Klein, France, 1974, 123m English and French with English subtitles
A masterful study of one of the greatest boxers of all time and a key cultural and political figure of his era, Kleins portrait of Muhammad Ali ranks among the most enjoyable, provocative, and candid sports documentaries. Focusing on the lead-ups to and aftermaths of three of Alis defining boutsthe two fights with Sonny Liston in 1964 and 65, and the Rumble in the Jungle with George Foreman in 74Klein vividly captures Ali in his element as well as the sociopolitical climate surrounding the champ. Featuring some of the most enthralling footage of Ali boasting ever committed to celluloid, Muhammad Ali, the Greatest is an astonishing work that renders its beyond-charismatic subject in all his prowess (verbal and physical), complexity, and majesty. Presented by Films Paris New York and ARTE. First digital 2K restoration from the original 16mm negative scanned in 4K carried out with the support of the CNC. Image works were carried out by ECLAIR Classics and by L.E.DIAPASON for the sound.
Simone Barbes or Virtue / Simone Barbs ou la vertuMarie-Claude Treilhou, France, 1980, 77mFrench with English subtitles
A criminally overlooked work from the post-post-New Wave era of French cinema, Marie-Claude Treilhous feature debut assumes the form of a triptych, following leather-clad porno theater usher Simone (Ingrid Bourgoin) as she banters with her coworker (Martine Simonet) while watching the eccentric strangers puttering in and out of the cinemas lobby; then clocks out and heads off to meet her girlfriend, a waitress at a lesbian club; and later, has an encounter with a lonely man on the prowl (Cahiers du cinma critic Michel Delahaye). But the minimalist plot of Simone Barbes almost seems besides the point: Treilhous film is saturated with style and atmosphere, the chargedness of each throwaway gesture, idle remark, or seemingly empty moment yielding a character study unlike any other. 4K scan and restoration by Cosmodigital for La Traverse with the support of the CNC.
Smooth TalkJoyce Chopra, U.S., 1985, 92m
In her first lead role, 18-year-old Laura Dern gave one of her most stirring, layered performances in an adaptation of Joyce Carol Oatess 1966 short story Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been? She stars as Connie Wyatt, a teenager who spends her summer days moping around the house and exploring her sexuality in the Northern California suburbs. But the thrills and innocence of youth are forever shaded by the predatory behavior of an older man named Arnold Friend (Treat Williams) whom she encounters at a drive-in. Smooth Talk won the Sundance Film Festivals Grand Jury Prize in 1986 and remains a carefully observed, shockingly powerful story of manipulation and deviance. A Janus Films release. New 4K restoration undertaken by the Criterion Collection.
Xiao WuJia Zhangke, China, 1997, 112mMandarin with English subtitles
Among the most essential filmmakers of the past several decades, Jia Zhangke launched his career with this, his 1997 debut (featured in New Directors/New Films in 1999) about a pickpocket struggling to keep up with the current of Chinas transformation into an economic powerhouse. Abandoned by his friends and associates and stymied by the terrain shifting beneath him, the titular and somewhat nihilistic thief stumbles upon a chance at loveor at least a human connectionand finds himself confronted with the question: is this any way to live? Even in this early work, Jias unsurpassed attentiveness to the texture of quotidian life amid a society in flux is powerfully in evidence, presaging his current status as cinemas great portraitist of the latter-day Chinese behemoth. Restored by The Film Foundations World Cinema Project and Cineteca di Bologna at LImmagine Ritrovata laboratory in collaboration with Jia Zhangke and in association with MK2. Restoration funding provided by the Hobson/Lucas Family Foundation.
Steve McQueen Selects:
Zero for Conduct / Zro de conduiteJean Vigo, France, 1933, 49mFrench with English subtitles
Among the greatest artworks about the anarchic energies of youth, Jean Vigos autobiographical mid-length film endures as a singular masterpiece whose influence and reputation have only grown in the decades since his untimely death at age 29 a year later after the films release. Set in an all-boys boarding school, the film follows the students as they set about turning the institutions uptight rules on their head. A delirious and visually astonishing achievement and an acknowledged inspiration for Francois Truffauts The 400 Blows and Lindsay Andersons if (among countless other films), Zero for Conduct is at once a sweet ode to childhood and a dreamlike exaltation of youthful chaos. Restored in 4K by Gaumont in association with The Film Foundation and La Cinmathque franaise with the support of the Centre National de la Cinmatographie. Restoration performed at LImmagine Ritrovata in Bologna and Paris.
The festival will run September 17 through October 11. Further additions to the slate, including Currents, Spotlight, and Talks, will be announced in the coming weeks.
Sign Up: Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Sign up for our Email Newsletters here.
Read the rest here:
- CHESS Tool Helps Spot the Difference in Genome Organization - Technology Networks - October 28th, 2020
- Chess Table Market: Qualitative analysis of the leading players and competitive industry scenario | Acrila, Amop Synergies, Colombo Mobili, Doty &... - October 28th, 2020
- Used Construction Machinery Market by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast To 2026 Mascus USA, Arnold Machinery Company, Foley Inc,... - October 28th, 2020
- Plumbing the Depths of Ethanol Ignorance - The Auto Channel - October 28th, 2020
- Film Study: How the Saints Pass O shapes up against the Panthers zone-heavy Pass D - Canal Street Chronicles - October 28th, 2020
- Study finds spread of coronavirus on an airplane is minimal - Yahoo Money - October 24th, 2020
- B2B Telecommunications Market Competitive Insights 2020 : Callstream, Charterhouse Voice and Data, BT Group - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Lockdown Impact On Chess Table Market 2020 | Growth and Demand | Projected By Market Data Analytics - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Forecast to 2025 Published By Leading Research Firm The House of Staunton, ChessSUA - The Think Curiouser - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News by Decresearch - October 23rd, 2020
- 5 Iconic Places Around Campus - The Third Eye - October 23rd, 2020
- Grand master Hikaru challenges Obama to chess match on Twitch - Dexerto - October 23rd, 2020
- Overnight Health Care: Trump says he hopes Supreme Court strikes down ObamaCare | FDA approves remdesivir as COVID-19 treatment | Dems threaten to... - October 23rd, 2020
- 8 Examples of Artificial Intelligence in our Everyday Lives - Edgy Labs - October 23rd, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies | Industry Growth... - October 23rd, 2020
- Review: Invasion from Mars, A War of the Worlds Radio Play by Theatre in the DarkMemories of 1938 - thirdcoastreview.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Sailor Mercury Was The Smartest Senshi Ever (& 5 She Dropped The Ball) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 23rd, 2020
- With a passion for STEM, U of T recipients of the Schulich Leader Scholarships are flying high - News@UofT - October 21st, 2020
- Where Is A Will There Is Brazil Society 2020, Despite The Pandemics - Analysis - Eurasia Review - October 21st, 2020
- 5 Strategies You Can Use to Build an Emotionally Intelligent Team - Entrepreneur - October 21st, 2020
- Chess For Beginners | Study Plan: The Opening - Chess.com - October 19th, 2020
- How to Study Chess | US Chess.org - October 19th, 2020
- Rook, line and sinker - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - October 19th, 2020
- BepiColombo Spacecraft Studies Venus on Its Way to Mercury - Best gaming pro - October 19th, 2020
- Netballer awarded trifecta of top University sports awards - India Education Diary - October 19th, 2020
- Blog: Five cases in which robots are better than man - The Slovak Spectator - October 17th, 2020
- Beating Blitz Will Be Critical in Beating Bucs - Sports Illustrated - October 17th, 2020
- Looking to Get Lost Review: The Heart of Rock n Roll - Wall Street Journal - October 17th, 2020
- Mentally demanding tasks are harder to handle at home - Workplace Insight - October 16th, 2020
- How Many Hours Of Chess Study Does It Take To Be A Grandmaster? - Chess.com - October 16th, 2020
- Things to do in Brownwood and the area - Brownwood Bulletin - October 16th, 2020
- Daddy and 9 Other Reads I Cant Get Out of My Head - Vulture - October 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 implications for brand strategists - Ask Afrika - Bizcommunity.com - October 16th, 2020
- Our Critic on the Best of the 2020 New York Film Festival - Nashville Scene - October 16th, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Competitive Analysis 2020 and Key Players: SRC, Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing, Airbus Defence and Space, etc - re:Jerusalem - October 14th, 2020
- Exploring Iceland's volcanoes and glacier caves - Red Bull Australia - October 14th, 2020
- To Stop an Electoral Coup, Study What Went Wrong in the 2000 Florida Recount - Jacobin magazine - October 14th, 2020
- Cam Newton remains on track to play on Monday, barring the development of symptoms - NBC Sports - NFL - October 11th, 2020
- Carlsen may have shown the way for Virat, Dhoni - Bangalore Mirror - October 11th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Another instructive endgame - Chessbase News - October 9th, 2020
- How to watch the Apple iPhone 12 event on October 13 - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- PocketBook Color review: is color E Ink finally ready? - Best gaming pro - October 9th, 2020
- Can't smell stinky fish? It might be in your genes - Nature.com - October 9th, 2020
- BOARD GAMES Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2025 | Asmode Editions, Goliath BV, Hasbro - re:Jerusalem - October 9th, 2020
- Leistikow: The impressive rise of Dane Belton, a versatile chess piece in Iowa's defense - desmoinesregister.com - October 8th, 2020
- Key West Voters To Decide What Happens To Cruises, Revisiting A Study On Hate Groups, 'Critical Thinking' With John Leguizamo - WLRN - October 8th, 2020
- McDonald's set to release new breakfast items in October - Yahoo Money - October 8th, 2020
- Curly the Curling Robot Can Beat the Pros at Their Own Game - Smithsonian Magazine - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Industry Revenue, Key Players, Supply-demand, COVID 19 Investment Feasibility and Forecast to 2026- The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 7th, 2020
- Aspen teachers say they're being made pawns in the pandemic - Aspen Times - October 7th, 2020
- Learn The Fundamental Theorem of Poker - Using Math to Win at Poker - BestUSCasinos.org - October 7th, 2020
- Nektar Therapeutics (NKTR) and the Battle of Fundamentals vs. Technicals - The News Heater - October 7th, 2020
- Underline going over the top to celebrate its first leg - Miami Today - October 7th, 2020
- Ceramic Wash Basin Market COVID 19 Status, Growth Rate by Applications, and Future Forecast 2026- TOTO, AmericanStandard, Roca, HCG, Villeroy Boch -... - October 7th, 2020
- Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market Growth And Status Explored In A New Research Report QY Research, IncLockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - The Daily... - October 7th, 2020
- Meet Chirag Falor, the JEE Advanced topper Rank 1 and Bal Shakti award winner studying at MIT - India Today - October 7th, 2020
- Chess Online: How to Play and Win Chess | Chess Tips & Strategies - Popular Mechanics - October 3rd, 2020
- Curly the Robot Competes With Professional Curling Athletes - Science Times - October 3rd, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Chess Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global B2B Telecommunications Market Research Report 2026 Observational Studies with Top Manufacturers like BT Group, Callstream, Chess, Charterhouse... - October 3rd, 2020
- Jeffrey Aronson: When I Use a Word . . . Planning - The BMJ - The BMJ - October 3rd, 2020
- Sailor Moon: 5 Times Fans Hated Sailor Mercury (& 5 They Loved Her) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 3rd, 2020
- Review: Aurora Fox' "Tom Foolery: The Words and Music of Tom Lehrer" - The Know - October 3rd, 2020
- Robot named 'Curly' uses AI to beat one of the world's best curling teams at their own game - The Streetjournal - October 1st, 2020
- Harlem's 67 Orange Bar Cocktails in the Time of Corona - The Daily Beast - October 1st, 2020
- Get to know Grand Haven school board candidates - Grand Haven Tribune - October 1st, 2020
- AI Robot "Curly" Beats the Korean Olympic Silver-Medalist Curling Team - Tech Times - October 1st, 2020
- San Franciscos DA Makes Significant Prosecutorial Changes To Further The Fight Against Anti-Black Racism And Implicit Bias In The Justice System -... - October 1st, 2020
- Social Media Use Linked With Depression During Pandemic: Here Are 5 Healthier Ways to Spend Your Time - News18 - October 1st, 2020
- How the Presidential Debates Will Influence the Outcome of the 2020 Election - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - September 30th, 2020
- Singapore urges need for international organisations to 'reform' in digital age - Best gaming pro - September 28th, 2020
- Arwa Salih and the Lost Generation of Egyptian Communism - Jacobin magazine - September 28th, 2020
- A Robot Beats Humans at Their Own GameThis Time on the Ice - The Wall Street Journal - September 24th, 2020
- If Napheesa Collier continues to be the best player on the court, the Lynx have a shot - Duluth News Tribune - September 24th, 2020
- Chess Table Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 24th, 2020
- Siblings able to make the most of their time as students - Harvard Gazette - September 23rd, 2020
- Industrial Wood Coating Market Study Report (2020-2026), Competitive Analysis, Proposal Strategy, Potential Targets, Assessment And Recommendations |... - September 22nd, 2020
- Why fitness and wellbeing really matter in business - London Business School Review - September 22nd, 2020
- Keep your mind active to prevent Alzheimers disease, say doctors - The Hindu - September 22nd, 2020
- TIFF 2020: Seven First-Time Directors Who Stole The Show - NDTV - September 20th, 2020