Looking to win the second set and draw level, Magnus Carlsen carved out a classy 46-move win over Ding Liren in the opening game on the second day of the semifinals of the $300,000 Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals on Monday.
In the other semifinal, Daniil Dubov defended an inferior position in 91 moves against Hikaru Nakamura to draw the opening game.
Semifinals: Set Two: (Game One): Magnus Carlsen (Nor) bt Ding Liren (Chn); Hikaru Nakamura (USA) drew with Daniil Dubov (Rus).
Set One: Ding bt Carlsen (Score tied at 3.5-3.5 but Ding was declared the winner after the drawn Armageddon game); Nakamura bt Dubov 3.5-2.5.
You have reached your limit for free articles this month.
To get full access, please subscribe.
Already have an account ? Sign in
Show Less Plan
Find mobile-friendly version of articles from the day's newspaper in one easy-to-read list.
Move smoothly between articles as our pages load instantly.
Enjoy reading as many articles as you wish without any limitations.
A one-stop-shop for seeing the latest updates, and managing your preferences.
A select list of articles that match your interests and tastes.
We brief you on the latest and most important developments, three times a day.
*Our Digital Subscription plans do not currently include the e-paper ,crossword, iPhone, iPad mobile applications and print. Our plans enhance your reading experience.
- Chess at the Spanish Pavilion - Chessbase News - November 27th, 2021
- 2021 FIDE World Rapid & Blitz Championship: All The Information - Chess.com - November 27th, 2021
- Lindores Abbey Blitz - Live! - Chessbase News - November 12th, 2021
- Chess: Firouzja, 18, becomes third youngest world title candidate after Carlsen and Fischer - Financial Times - November 12th, 2021
- Stockfish can crush you at chess even more efficiently in the 14.1 update - Neowin - November 1st, 2021
- Azerbaijani chess players take 11th, 13th among TOP-100 in the world - Trend News Agency - November 1st, 2021
- Monarchs and ubersprogs - Chessbase News - October 19th, 2021
- Game of the Week 484: Giri vs Carlsen - Chessbase News - October 8th, 2021
- Daniel King's Power Play Show: Tactics from the Chessable Masters and the genius of Magnus Carlsen - Chessbase News - August 9th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen moves forward in the Chess World Cup, but ... - July 25th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen botches win and heads for tiebreaks at chess World Cup - The Guardian - July 25th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen wins San Fermin Masters | ChessBase - July 25th, 2021
- Exclusive| Inspired by Magnus Carlsen, 12 year old Abhimanyu Mishra aims to be World Champion one day - Times Now - July 10th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen chess games - 365Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen | Norwegian chess player | Britannica - March 9th, 2021
- Wesley So beats Magnus Carlsen again to win Opera Euro Rapid - chess24 - February 15th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen survives 'disgusting' blunders against Daniil Dubov - The Guardian - February 15th, 2021
- World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen On The Very Relatable Queens Gambit Scene - TheThings - January 23rd, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen only has the second most popular video series of 2020 - chess24 - January 9th, 2021
- The Queen's Gambit: Chess 'has not been kind to women,' says world champion Magnus Carlsen - Euronews - December 11th, 2020
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen reaches Skilling semi-finals despite mouse slip - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- Magnus Carlsens Champions Chess tour to be streamed on digital platforms, including in India - Mumbai Mirror - November 12th, 2020
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen wins as Alireza Firouzja blunders in pawn endgame - The Guardian - October 16th, 2020
- P Harikrishna stuns Magnus Carlsen but later suffers four losses - The Indian Express - September 24th, 2020
- Levon Aronian defeated by Magnus Carlsen - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - September 16th, 2020
- Chess: Garry Kasparov and Magnus Carlsen draw in historic ... - September 12th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals: Carlsen Ties Match To Set Up Final Clash - Chess.com - August 19th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals: Nakamura Extends Lead, Carlsen Strikes Back - Chess.com - August 11th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen - Wikipedia - June 24th, 2020
- Play Magnus - Chess Training, Magnus Carlsen - June 24th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen | Top Chess Players - Chess.com - June 24th, 2020
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen announces $1m online series as ... - June 24th, 2020